<SOLVED> Is it possible to install google authenticator or another password authenticator software on linux mint ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tzell
Level 3
Level 3

<SOLVED> Is it possible to install google authenticator or another password authenticator software on linux mint ?

Post by tzell »

Hey forum
Was wondering if its possible to install google authenticator or another authenticator software (such as microsoft) on linux mint?
Inorder not to be dependent on my phone for time-based passwords.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Is it possible to install google authenticator or another password authenticator software on linux mint ?

Post by t42 »

You need to install Google's PAM and confirure it as appropriate.
There is libpam-google-authenticator package in LM21 / Ubuntu 22.04 repositories

Code: Select all

apt policy libpam-google-authenticator
libpam-google-authenticator:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 20191231-2
-=t42=-
tzell
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Is it possible to install google authenticator or another password authenticator software on linux mint ?

Post by tzell »

t42 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:44 am You need to install Google's PAM and confirure it as appropriate.
There is libpam-google-authenticator package in LM21 / Ubuntu 22.04 repositories

Code: Select all

apt policy libpam-google-authenticator
libpam-google-authenticator:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 20191231-2
I've looked into it but the tutorials I found was to harden the linux installation with 2 factor authentication into the logon screen.

Is there a way to configure google authenticator so it displays all your time based codes on linux the same way it does on the smartphone app?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

You can use KeePassXC for the purpose. (Although this undermines the idea behind 2 factor authentication.)
tzell
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tzell »

Cosmo. wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:48 am You can use KeePassXC for the purpose. (Although this undermines the idea behind 2 factor authentication.)
keepasxs is a password manager no? I'm using bitwarden for that.
what I meant was I want my linux desktop to show me the same list of timed numbers authentications like google authenticator app does
So instead of using my phone for two factor authentications I could use my desktop.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Yes KPCX is a password manager.
You can read about your question at https://keepassxc.org/docs/KeePassXC_Ge ... o_an_entry

I repeat, what I wrote already: Your attempt to fake the second authentication factor undermines the idea behind it.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

tzell wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:02 am
keepasxs is a password manager no? I'm using bitwarden for that.
In context of this post, - KeePassXC allows associating Google Authenticator codes to its entries and can generate OTP codes and export its keys via QR code. I thinks that's the reason KeePassXC was mentioned.
-=t42=-
tzell
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tzell »

Ohhhh I apologize I misunderstood then.
So keepassXC can be used as a seperate authenticator

I understand I shouldn't use the same Database for passwords and timed one time passwords for security purposes.
I'll be using keepasXC for TOTP and bitwarden for passwords, so two seperate databases and software.

Thank you guys so much!
KeepassXC it is then.

Return to “Software & Applications”