[Solved] Installing Wine on LM21 Vanessa

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Linux-n0t-Windows
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Installing Wine on LM21 Vanessa

Post by Linux-n0t-Windows »

After much googling, trying it out on my desktop (no luck), trying it out on a LM21 VirtualBox VM (no luck), and finally trying it out on a Ubuntu 22.04 VirtualBox VM, I finally stumbled on the solution. It's actually very simple.

The problem is, the latest version of Wine (7.17) works in a different way than previous versions. If you follow the directions at https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu, you will be successful. You can't use the stable branch as of this writing. I would go with

Code: Select all

sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-staging
in the last step. Once you've done that, run

winecfg
in terminal and the wine configuration applet will appear. You will be asked to install Mono. Click "install." You can check if you've been successful by running

wine --version
in terminal.

Once you've done that, put whatever Windows apps you want to run in your /home folder. You can run them by right-clicking an choose run with wine(...). There is no .wine folder any more (if you've done a clean install or if you've purged Wine from your system. If you have a .wine folder, you can copy the apps over to /home or probably just run them as is.You can also run

winefile
in terminal. This brings up a sort of Windows Explorer-ish applet from which you can also run Windows apps. I prefer to right-click the .exe file and add it to Favorites and run it from the Cinnamon Favorites applet. BTW, I did get it to work on the LM21 VM and my desktop.

To sum up, the winehq directions work but you can't use Wine EXACTLY the way you used to. I'm about to try upgrading my MacBook Air from LM 20.3. May run into some headaches there. Anyway, hope this helps!
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux-n0t-Windows
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Solved] Installing Wine on LM21 Vanessa

Post by Linux-n0t-Windows »

...put whatever Windows apps you want to run in your /home folder. You can run them by right-clicking an choose run with wine(...). There is no .wine folder any more (if you've done a clean install or if you've purged Wine from your system.
I was mistaken about this. Version 7.17 DOES create a .wine folder but you don't have to put your apps there. They will run from anywhere in your /home folder.

Also, I upgraded to Vanessa on my MacBook Air and there were no major problems. Had to re-install some things but it all worked out.

Return to “Software & Applications”