Linux Firefox v Official Firefox

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
drrummer

Linux Firefox v Official Firefox

Post by drrummer »

Hi.

Some time back I discovered my Firefox was being managed the organisation. This was a surprise as I am the sole user and not part of an organisation in this instance.

Anyway, it turns out that it is being managed by Linux, as it is the version of Firefox installed by Linux when installing the OS as a whole. So I downloaded the proper Firefox directly from Mozilla.

Just yesterday, in the proccess of removing apps, I clicked on one called Gerbera. It opened in Firefox, but in the Linux Firefox.

My question is: How do I delete the Linux Firefox ?
I can only seem to find the proper Firefox and I want to keep that.

Thank you.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Linux Firefox v Official Firefox

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

You can uninstall Firefox provided by Linux Mint using Synaptic, like any other package.

Be careful to dependencies.

Regards,

MN
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Use Synaptic to delete the Firefox modules, then in Update Manager, Black List Firefox so that it is not installed again.

If this requires you to delete all versions of FF, then reinstall the Mozilla version again.

you will NOT loose any information, that is stored in a special folder that remains hidden.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

drrummer wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:42 am Hi.

Some time back I discovered my Firefox was being managed the organisation. This was a surprise as I am the sole user and not part of an organisation in this instance.

Anyway, it turns out that it is being managed by Linux, as it is the version of Firefox installed by Linux when installing the OS as a whole. So I downloaded the proper Firefox directly from Mozilla.
And the only difference between the two is updates for one will come through Update Manager (which is what being managed by your system means) and the other will have to be updated manually by you because you installed it separately.

There is nothing else different between the two versions which means you already had the "proper" Firefox. This was explained in a blog post earlier this year and repeatedly explained in posts on this forum including the topic pinned to the top of the Software & Applications forum Firefox Help: How to fix 'Updates Disabled by your system administrator'.
drrummer wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:42 amMy question is: How do I delete the Linux Firefox ?
How are you finding what you are calling "the proper" Firefox?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

AZgl1800 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:04 pm Use Synaptic to delete the Firefox modules, then in Update Manager, Black List Firefox so that it is not installed again.
How does one blacklist something which does not exist?

If you use Synaptic to remove all the installed Firefox modules, then there will be nothing in Update Manager to blacklist.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

SMG wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:09 pm
AZgl1800 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:04 pm Use Synaptic to delete the Firefox modules, then in Update Manager, Black List Firefox so that it is not installed again.
How does one blacklist something which does not exist?

If you use Synaptic to remove all the installed Firefox modules, then there will be nothing in Update Manager to blacklist.
yeah,
I got that turned around backwards... oops. :mrgreen:

BUT,
the bottom line is, he already has the "Proper" and only version of Firefox now.
I tried the Mozilla download, that lasted less than 30 days, deleted it and went back to the Update Manager provided method....

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Another victim of the "Linux FF vs Official FF" believe. You make a story, where no story exists.

The so called Linux FF is the Official FF, so this Linux vs Official is a fiction.

As your experience is so low, that you do not know the obvious, namely how to uninstall a software, I am rather sure, that you do not make yourself a pleasure. To make it clear: My judgement about your knowledge is not my invention, but your words.
drrummer

Post by drrummer »

MikeNovember wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:03 pm Hi,

You can uninstall Firefox provided by Linux Mint using Synaptic, like any other package.

Be careful to dependencies.

Regards,

MN
Thank you.

I generally don't go near Synaptics because it seems a little bit more involved than the regular app store.

I will take a look though.
drrummer

Post by drrummer »

If this requires you to delete all versions of FF, then reinstall the Mozilla version again.

you will NOT loose any information, that is stored in a special folder that remains hidden.
Thank you.
drrummer

Post by drrummer »

SMG wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:06 pm
drrummer wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:42 am Hi.

And the only difference between the two is updates for one will come through Update Manager (which is what being managed by your system means) and the other will have to be updated manually by you because you installed it separately.

There is nothing else different between the two versions which means you already had the "proper" Firefox. This was explained in a blog post earlier this year and repeatedly explained in posts on this forum including the topic pinned to the top of the Software & Applications forum Firefox Help: How to fix 'Updates Disabled by your system administrator'.
drrummer wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:42 amMy question is: How do I delete the Linux Firefox ?
How are you finding what you are calling "the proper" Firefox?

If my internet browser is being managed by some unauthorised entity, then it is not the proper version.

I find the proper Firefox in the start menu and in the home folder.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

drrummer wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:55 pmIf my internet browser is being managed by some unauthorised entity, then it is not the proper version.
Are you calling the Linux Mint developers--the ones who create and maintain the operating system you are using--some unauthorized entity?

If you don't trust them, then why are you using Linux Mint?
drrummer wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:55 pmI find the proper Firefox in the start menu and in the home folder.
That's where my Firefox is so I do not understand the distinction you are making. My Firefox is the one which comes with Linux Mint.
drrummer

Post by drrummer »

SMG wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:00 pm
drrummer wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:55 pmIf my internet browser is being managed by some unauthorised entity, then it is not the proper version.
Are you calling the Linux Mint developers--the ones who create and maintain the operating system you are using--some unauthorized entity?

If you don't trust them, then why are you using Linux Mint?
drrummer wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:55 pmI find the proper Firefox in the start menu and in the home folder.
That's where my Firefox is so I do not understand the distinction you are making. My Firefox is the one which comes with Linux Mint.
I do trust Linux. I just installed the OS, and did not ask for a browser controlled by an external entity. So yes, it is unauthorised in that manner.

When I click on the start menu Firefox, it opens my Firefox, not the Linux one.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

drrummer wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:08 pm I just installed the OS, and did not ask for a browser controlled by an external entity.
The operating system ISO includes Firefox, Thunderbird, LibreOffice and other software. It always has. You are the one who installed all that on your computer.

You claim you "trust Linux" so please explain what you believe "controlled by an external entity" means because it appears you are contradicting yourself.

"Linux" is the "external entity". You trust Linux to update your system, but not to update your browser that Linux put on the ISO which you installed? Please explain that logic.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

I'm sooooo curious to hear of what an external entity is, that controls FF in Mint.
This one was news to me. :mrgreen:
So please drrummer can you reveal who is the entity?
and what does the entity control?
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
drrummer

Post by drrummer »

Marie SWE wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:28 pm I'm sooooo curious to hear of what an external entity is, that controls FF in Mint.
The external entity is Linux. Linux is controlling my browser.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

drrummer wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:31 pm
Marie SWE wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:28 pm I'm sooooo curious to hear of what an external entity is, that controls FF in Mint.
The external entity is Linux. Linux is controlling my browser.
Linux is a server spinoff from Unix created by Linus Torvalds in the early 90's I think.
Linux Mint is a desktop distribution that is based on a server OS.

So if Linux is controlling FF by your way of explaining is that Linux is the base system that makes your computer do more then showing your BIOS screen.
So with your way of thinking, then in windows, then Microsoft controls FF as that is the core company that is the windows base code.

You cant use FF without an operating system
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
drrummer

Post by drrummer »

But the real version of Firefox doesn't have a notifcation telling me that my browser is being managed by my organsiation.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

drrummer wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:31 pmThe external entity is Linux. Linux is controlling my browser.
So you don't trust Linux.

It appears you did not check the link I provided earlier so I will copy and paste the information from the Linux Mint blog
Warning messages

Firefox cannot handle its own updates. It doesn’t know how to check the repositories and doesn’t have admin privileges anyway. In Linux Mint this is the job of the Update Manager so Firefox is told not to handle updates.

In the past, this was done via code changes. We patched Firefox not to do it and not to show any warning about it. This is how it is in Debian and Ubuntu as well.

With this transition this is done via a policy file, i.e. via system-wide configuration. Firefox shows the following messages in the preferences and in the about dialog as a result:
updates.png
These messages can be quite confusing, especially the first one. Please ignore them for now. We’ll be reporting the issue to get it fixed upstream.
The "upstream" referenced in the blog post is Mozilla. Mozilla controls whether or not that message shows. The same Mozilla from where you downloaded what you are calling "your browser".

That means you can have the browser from Mozilla or the browser from Mozilla with the message they added.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

drrummer wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:49 pm But the real version of Firefox doesn't have a notifcation telling me that my browser is being managed by my organsiation.
Do you mean that the Update of the browser is controlled by Linux update and not Mozilla auto update?

The only way a computer is manage by an organization is if it is a work computer that the company IT department have the administration of.
drrummer

Post by drrummer »

SMG wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:50 pm
drrummer wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:31 pmThe external entity is Linux. Linux is controlling my browser.
So you don't trust Linux.

It appears you did not check the link I provided earlier so I will copy and paste the information from the Linux Mint blog
Warning messages

Firefox cannot handle its own updates. It doesn’t know how to check the repositories and doesn’t have admin privileges anyway. In Linux Mint this is the job of the Update Manager so Firefox is told not to handle updates.

In the past, this was done via code changes. We patched Firefox not to do it and not to show any warning about it. This is how it is in Debian and Ubuntu as well.

With this transition this is done via a policy file, i.e. via system-wide configuration. Firefox shows the following messages in the preferences and in the about dialog as a result:
updates.png

These messages can be quite confusing, especially the first one. Please ignore them for now. We’ll be reporting the issue to get it fixed upstream.
The "upstream" referenced in the blog post is Mozilla. Mozilla controls whether or not that message shows. The same Mozilla from where you downloaded what you are calling "your browser".

That means you can have the browser from Mozilla or the browser from Mozilla with the message they added.
I'd rather have the Firefox from Mozilla, not the controlled one.

Return to “Software & Applications”