"Bad Usage Error" with Mount Command

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mdiemer

"Bad Usage Error" with Mount Command

Post by mdiemer »

I am trying to mount an iso file. When I run the following command, an error message results. It says "Mount" bad usage." The command is:

sudo mount /media/michael/New Volume/CinePerc.iso /media/iso -o loop

The iso is a downloaded Native Instruments file, specifically a percussion library from CineSamples. I have successfully used this command on Ubuntu Studio (with some of the details changed) 20.04, but it's not working on Mint 21. I then will use wine to run the installer.

The iso is on an external hard drive, New Volume. I don't get why I'm being told that "mount" is bad usage.
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shedyed
Level 4
Level 4

Re: "Bad Usage Error" with Mount Command

Post by shedyed »

It's not recognizing the space betwen New and Volume. Insert an escape character, a backslash right before the space.

Hit tab so that the terminal will show you the proper entry, while you're in the midle of the cd command. Let bash completion be your assistant.

So if the file location were in Windows, under "My Documents", as an example, for the cd command. On my hard drive, to get there
I would type

cd /media/windows/blabla/My<tab>

the notation <tab> only means you press the tab key at that point, and it will extend to any or all locations that are applicable, because sometimes there is also 'My Photos' or 'My Music' or whatever else your system has. If there are several, you simply type in the next letter. It's case sensitive; the terminal will beep, and you will get used to using tab when you're so inclined. If you take the blue pill etc but if you hit tab you're on your way to becoming a power user :wink:
mdiemer

Post by mdiemer »

Thank you for the info. I will get to work on it. :)
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Try enclosing the path with quotes:
sudo mount "/media/michael/New Volume/CinePerc.iso" /media/iso -o loop
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
mdiemer

Post by mdiemer »

Thanks again, but the quotes did not help. I have spent several hours trying various commands, but to no avail. I am forced to give up on this percussion library, which costs over 700.00 (although I did get it on sale). I own it, but cannot use it. so typical in a world dominated by the microsoftopoly. Do it our way (Windows), or good luck.

fortunately, I do have decent percussion libraries which I can use on Linux. But I'll be very careful in future with my purchases of music software. Once burned, twice shy, as the old saying goes. No need for any more responses, unless expressions of sympathy. I'm done fooling around, I'd rather be composing.

Thanks for the help! :)
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I know you did not name this volume, but a good rule to follow is do not use spaces in drive names, and perhaps do not use capital letters either.
BTW, I think you can rename the drive if you want to.

Return to “Software & Applications”