How to install Peer Guardian Firewall on Linux Mint 21

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dex_android
Level 1
Level 1

How to install Peer Guardian Firewall on Linux Mint 21

Post by dex_android »

I'm dual-booting LM 20.3 and LM 21. On LM 20.3 I have Peer Guardian installed. But I'm unable to install it on LM 21. Need help.
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How to install Peer Guardian Firewall on Linux Mint 21

Post by Hoser Rob »

The only help needed here is realizing that you simply do not need AV software in Linux.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

And a firewall you already have. Just turn it on:

Code: Select all

sudo ufw enable
You might find this article interesting, that I've written about security in Linux Mint:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... urity.html
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, dex_android.
dex_android wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:27 pmI'm dual-booting LM 20.3 and LM 21. On LM 20.3 I have Peer Guardian installed. But I'm unable to install it on LM 21. Need help.
Perhaps this is the reason, why Peer Guardian Firewall can no longer be installed on Mint 21 (base: Ubuntu 22.04):
PeerGuardian wrote:PeerGuardian Linux:
Not developed actively anymore. Team might still be around. Some unreleased changes on git. Outdated technology.
The most recent Peer Guardian for Linux seems to be 7 years old from 2015.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

karlchen wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:49 am The most recent Peer Guardian for Linux seems to be 7 years old from 2015.
Imagine the amount of security holes this abandoned piece of crap must contain by now.... :shock:
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hoser Rob wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:35 amThe only help needed here is realizing that you simply do not need AV software in Linux.
But Peer Guardian Firewall is not a piece of AV software. The name might have given a hint perhaps that it is not. :wink:
PeerGuardian wrote:PeerGuardian is a privacy oriented firewall application. It blocks connections to and from hosts specified in huge blocklists (thousands or millions of IP ranges). Its origin seeds in targeting aggressive IPs while you use P2P.

PeerGuardian Linux:
Not developed actively anymore. Team might still be around. Some unreleased changes on git. Outdated technology.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Chrobert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Chrobert »

Try this procedure:
Add these entries to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://moblock-deb.sourceforge.net/debian stretch main
deb-src http://moblock-deb.sourceforge.net/debian stretch main
deb https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/rock-core/qt4/ubuntu focal main
deb-src https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/rock-core/qt4/ubuntu focal main
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/gezakovacs/ppa/ubuntu focal main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/gezakovacs/ppa/ubuntu focal main

Save & close

Go to : update manager/edit/software sources -> Authentication keys -> download -> and paste here fingerprints:

C0145138
and next
63BBCC76C6D55B7DF2D65B2A78CB407D3E3D8F94
and next
BCCCC1E2835433FA7DB85D51D45DF2E8FC91AE7E

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install pgld pglcmd pglgui

finally in the gui:
Under Peerguardian Options/Settings add the following:
/usr/bin/pkexec
Last edited by Chrobert on Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Chrobert wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:08 pm Try this procedure:
Welcome to the forum, Chrobert.

Did you try this on Linux Mint 21 (jammy)? The repos listed are for focal (Linux Mint 20) and older (Debian stretch).

I recommend anyone wanting to try this to make sure to take a Timeshift snapshot first.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Chrobert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Chrobert »

SMG wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:37 pm Did you try this on Linux Mint 21 (jammy)? ....
Yes, I use Mint 21 (jammy). The procedure went smoothly for me. Peerguard works.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Chrobert wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:10 pm Peerguard works.
works = "works". It has been abandoned years ago. Therefore probably full of security holes. Beats me why anybody would want to put his security at risk with this crap.

Take your security seriously. Use a modern and up to date firewall like (g)ufw.
Last edited by Pjotr on Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

I use GUFW or firewalld on laptops.
I like firwalld, which is highly customizable.
I prefer a firewall over antivirus in LM.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Chrobert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Chrobert »

Dear colleagues - most of your posts are simply off-topic. The author of this thread asked how to install Peerguardian on Mint 21. Apparently he has a good reason and wants to install it. You don't know how to do it? Don't write off topic. I'm not trying to convince anyone to install or not. I simply answered the question of the author of the thread.

If we write off-topic, gufw is nothing more than a graphic overlay on ufw (gui made in gtk). While in Linux we value security and up-to-date code, this may be a problem here.
Because the ufw itself is a solution that is practically not developed anymore. I say practically because the last commits contributing something to its development were added in 2018. That is 4 years ago. From now on, only one person "works" on the project, and basically only adds minor cosmetic changes such as minor corrections in the license, typos in the readme or minor fixes so that the code compiles on new machines. ufw itself has a rather obsolete status in the Linux community and something that should be avoided. The gufw overlay itself is also not particularly developed. Her code was actually last touched 5 years ago. Of which in recent months there have been a few cosmetic changes - such as translations or new profiles. Virtually nothing else. That is why I personally do not recommend using ufw or gufw - because in this matter we should care that the security we use is quite modern and actively developed, including actively patching errors and potential gaps.

As a replacement that I personally recommend for home use - firewalld - something that is modern, actively developed, not compiled and fits well with virtually any Linux system

However, the Peerguardian that the author of the thread asked about is not a typical firewall or an AV.

GREETINGS!
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Chrobert wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:22 pm Dear colleagues - most of your posts are simply off-topic. The author of this thread asked how to install Peerguardian on Mint 21. Apparently he has a good reason and wants to install it. You don't know how to do it? Don't write off topic. I'm not trying to convince anyone to install or not. I simply answered the question of the author of the thread.
I am here to help people. Truly help them, even if this means giving them an answer that goes beyond (or even against) what they asked assistance for. Because I think that's sometimes better for them. As in this case.

Whether the OP likes it or not. This is a public forum, and even if the OP chooses to disregard my answer, perhaps somebody else will find it useful after all.
Chrobert wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:22 pm ufw itself is a solution that is practically not developed anymore. I say practically because the last commits contributing something to its development were added in 2018. That is 4 years ago. From now on, only one person "works" on the project, and basically only adds minor cosmetic changes such as minor corrections in the license, typos in the readme or minor fixes so that the code compiles on new machines. ufw itself has a rather obsolete status in the Linux community and something that should be avoided.
First of all, unlike the PeerGuardian crap, ufw is in the official repos. Which means that its security is guaranteed by (in this case) the Ubuntu devs. Its development is active and ongoing:
https://git.launchpad.net/ufw

If the Ubuntu devs lately mainly contribute what you call cosmetic changes to ufw, that only means that there were apparently no security holes to fix in it. Otherwise they would have fixed those as well. And should a new security hole ever come to light in the future, one can trust the Ubuntu devs to do their job.

PeerGuardian on the other hand, is maintained by nobody at all. And hasn't been for many years. As a firewall is crucial for your net security, PeerGuardian rightfully deserves to be dumped on the digital garbage heap.

Return to “Software & Applications”