SOLVED How Do I Get Conky to Come Up In the Desktop in Mint 21?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Todd Sauve
Level 4
Level 4

SOLVED How Do I Get Conky to Come Up In the Desktop in Mint 21?

Post by Todd Sauve »

Hi folks, I want to add Conky Manager 2.7 to Mint 21. I understand there is a .deb file that will do this by double clicking it. Can anyone steer me to this file? Or show me how to do this? Thanks for your help! :)

Or does anyone know how I can install my individualized and custom Conky for my system? It is made for my AMD 3700X CPU with 8 cores and 16 threads. If anyone knows a simple way to make it come up on my desktop at boot, please let me know.

I did an upgrade from Mint 20.3 to 21 and the Conky worked fine. So I know it must be compatible with Mint 21.

All help is appreciated! 8)

PS If anyone has an 8 core CPU and wants a really nice Conky for it, just let me know and I'll share mine with you! It is minimalist and looks excellent! 👍
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Re: How Do I Get Conky to Come Up In the Desktop in Mint 21?

Post by rossdv8 »

If all else fails, you could try this:
https://launchpad.net/~tomtomtom/+archi ... ky-manager

Mine is added to one of my docks, but I have conky set to autostart on Log In, in Mint Menu > Session and Startup > Autostart Applications so my conky starts on login (obviously).

The command I have in Session and Startup is:

Code: Select all

sh "/home/ross/.conky/conky-startup.sh"
The content of conky-startup.sh is:

#!/bin/sh

if [ "$DESKTOP_SESSION" = "xfce" ]; then 
   sleep 20s
   killall conky
   cd "$HOME/.conky/0-Left-MINT-RAD-CLOCK"
   conky -c "$HOME/.conky/0-Left-MINT-RAD-CLOCK/conkyrc" &
   cd "$HOME/.conky/0-Left-MINT-UnderClock-Minimal"
   conky -c "$HOME/.conky/0-Left-MINT-UnderClock-Minimal/conkyrc" &
   exit 0
fi
I have a feeling that is probably a startup script that Conky-Manager 2 writes every time you change whichever conky(ies) you want to run at a given time, because I d0 not recall writing it.
If you can't find Conky-Manager 2.7 though, a few modifications to that script, and adding it to Session and Startup, should certainly get your conky running at login in the meantime.

I cannot find where I originally downloaded Conky-Manager, because I do NOT have a PPA for it in software sources. Howver my version is 2.73, so it is probably updating. Looking at my 'Software Downloaed - Don't LOSE' folder, I see that I apparently had to compile it. It did survive the upgrade from Mint 20.x to Mint 21.

A PPA might be a simpler way to do it.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
Todd Sauve
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Todd Sauve »

Thank you Ross! I can get the basic black fairly useless Conky to install but it is indeed useless for me. As I wrote earlier, my custom Conky 8 core, 16 thread version stayed intact through my upgrade to Mint 21 but we couldn't get one of the earlier kernels to disengage. So I had to nuke that install and do a clean upgrade, which of course nuked my beautiful Conky along with it. I'll do a search for Conky Manager 2.73 when I get back into Linux Mint 21 and see what I can find. It is finding these installs and actually installing them that I find hard. Making, compiling etc., is not easy or familiar to me because I do it so seldom. Thus I can't remember how to do it and need noobie type hand holding--ha, ha! (Moreover, I got one of the Mint help guys mad at me six years ago and he isn't the forgiving kind. He even knew exactly where to find the argument we had, as I said SIX YEARS AGO! I even said sorry but he is not the forgiving kind and is holding a severe grudge. He came right out of the woodwork to restart the feud and said he thinks I'm not sorry enough. 🙄) Thanks again and I'll let you know what I find. 👌

Do you want my 8 core custom Conky? It is very minimalist and cool looking! Of course, if you don't have an 8 core CPU it can be customized up or down if you know a bit about Conky. 👀😎
Todd Sauve
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Todd Sauve »

Ross, okay I have my Conky up and running. I had to do some editing of the values in the default Conky manual edit mode but I have as much running now as I think I'm gonna get! Thank you so much for your help. I got the Conky Manager from GitHub, I think, and followed their install instructions. I do wish the Linux Mint folks would put together a Conky Manager 2.73 that they know works with Mint 21 and make a simple install file or .deb file that installs with a double click. But I'm happy now that I have it installed and my custom Conky working. :lol:
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Re: SOLVED How Do I Get Conky to Come Up In the Desktop in Mint 21?

Post by rossdv8 »

Hi Todd,

I'm glad you found a solution to your problem. I'm also surprised that someone on here got 'mad' at you, but it must have been an unusual situation, and I'm not here regularly enough to remember seeing it. I sort of come here for a few months, then drift off . .
One reason for members who try to help getting mad at someone, is when they provide what 'might' or 'should' be a solution, and the person seeking help fails to follow the steps to try the idea. That frustrates the person trying to provide an idea that might help. If the person with the problem keeps asking the same thing over and over without trying to do the thing suggested - sometimes (but pretty rarely) the person trying to help will get really, really frustrated - then angry, because the solution is right there and the person with the problem just doesn't follow the steps needed.
The other most common problem that causes severe frustration is when someone posts a problem - but doesn't provide any information about their computer and then doesn't respond to requests for that information.

There are more things - but those two are probably the most common, other than failing to observe common forum etiquette - or forum rules (something I'm occasionally rebuked for by our moderators).

Anyway, Don;t be put off asking for help. And even if the exact solution isn't in a reply - sometimes it will get you looking in the right direction.
Have fun with your conkies. I only have an i5 processor, and no plans to go 8-core, so thanks for the offer :-)
Currently, I've stripped my pet conky down to bare minima and other than its clock, it is displaying only absolutely necessary stuff that I need.

Cheers,
RossD
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Todd Sauve
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Todd Sauve »

Thanks for replying and helping Ross.

My problems with the moderator/help guy go way back to Mint 15 or 16 where every point update, say from 16.1 to 16.2, would break the entire Conky install and require major overhauls of libraries and I can't remember what else. I got quite upset at the mess created in my install and asked why the Mint people made such a complete botch of it. Someone was not happy about that, as I recall, and acted like he would never help again. Thankfully I don't need help very often because the Mint releases have gotten much more consistent and better in quality ever since. My compliments to everyone involved with the recent Mint releases. Superior in every way. 👌😎💘
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

Todd Sauve wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:26 pm . . I got quite upset at the mess created in my install and asked why the Mint people made such a complete botch of it. Someone was not happy about that, as I recall, . .
That would do it. :-) Hopefully over the years you might have come to realise that it usually the Mint People who make the botch. There is far more behind the scenes that goes into a ne release of Mint, than just the Desktop Environments, where the pretty stuff happens. Each D.E. has its own changes, as does the 'base' of Mint, the underlying version of Ubuntu.
The Mint Team has to get all these working together, and all it takes is any one of the others (Ubuntu, Xfce, Gnome) to change something, and for that change to do something weird to Cinnamon or to Mate, and a whole lot of exploring has to be done through heaps of code written by someone else - before the problem can be fixed.

If you could see the amount of mud these guys wade through to try to give us the distro we love to use, you might have been a little less frustrated with them. I know a little of it. I used to help with two other distros in the very early days, and I just couldn't handle the pressure of trying to do that stuff to a deadline as well as run my businesses. People forget that a hell of a lot of the behind the scenes work is done by volunteers :-)

Anyway, it is far in the past, and hopefully you understand more these days.
I'm not a moderator on this forum - and that in itself is another almost 'thankless' job, because forum members often seem to see the Moderators as 'bad guys'.

Enjoy the forum. Contribute where you can. And try not to feel frustrated when the answers you get are not always working first time, or when it seems nobody is trying to understand a problem you are reporting, or not doing anything about fixing a fault. Someone 'will' be working on it somewhere.

Things like Conkies for example are NOT part of Mint. So while they usually work on Mint, it is not always the Mint team's fault if they don't. :)
Todd Sauve
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Todd Sauve »

Ross, thanks for your reply and explanation of a bit of the mechanics behind the scenes. Yes, I was upset six years ago with the incessant breakages in Mint but I can't write a single line of code. So my appreciation of what they guys and gals behind the scenes do is pretty profound. That they do this and provide a distro free of charge is wonderful. My compliments to all of them! 8)

But six years is a lot of time to hold a grudge. Especially when I even apologized to him just a week ago.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

Todd Sauve wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:56 pm But six years is a lot of time to hold a grudge. Especially when I even apologized to him just a week ago.
That's kind of sad. Don;t let it get to you. All things pass eventually - even grudges. If you apologised, then it's not likely to happen again, whatever it was. And it can be left behind. As in any relationship, some of us can be bruised and take a while to recover.
Todd Sauve
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Todd Sauve »

Just as a thought you might have a solution for, there was a Pulse audio plugin that increased and decreased the volume by 2%, instead of the default 5% up and down in Mint 20.3. Do you know where it is? I've searched Synaptic and Software Manager but can't find it for Mint 21. Thanks.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

I also seem to recall being able to adjust the mousewheel volume to single percentage steps, however I use another plugin that achieves something similar. If you right click them one at a time, you will see what I mean.
For now though,
Try:

sudo apt install pasystray
It should install in your system tray near the clock in your Panel. It will look like the other Volume Control icon in your Panel, but it has extra features.
Scrolling that icon should do two things. It should increase the volume by 2% each notch of your mouse wheel instead of by the usual 5% each notch.
IN addition, you have to be a little careful because it 'should' let you go past 100% volume. In my case it goes to 150%. If I scroll down on my 'normal' volume icon it will drop back by 5% at a time. If I scroll down on my pasystray icon, it drops by 2% at a time.
You will probably get a lot of distortion unless you are running really good speakers.

The reason for caution is that if you accidentally go past 100% if you are wearing ear buds or headphones - as well as distortion, you run serious risk of permanent ear damage. It is worth REMEMBERING NOT to scroll on the WRONG Icon !!

:D
Todd Sauve
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Todd Sauve »

Thanks for the app to install. I'll give it a try and will remember to not crank it with headphones on! Ha, ha!

Okay, I installed the app and finally got it running after a few trials and tribulations, ha, ha! But it keeps putting up a Notification at the top right corner of my desktop telling me what audio device is being used. In my case it is the sound card built into my Nvidia RTX 3060Ti's HDMI 3 port.

Now it disappears after a few seconds. but before it would stay there until I clicked on its X closing button. It still leaves a Notification symbol in the System Tray, the one with a bell icon and the number 1 beside it. It also keeps working at 5% if I use the keyboard volume control, so something isn't connecting correctly there. Anything you might know about configuring it properly will be a help. :)
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

The Bell icon should be your 'Notifications' Icon, so you can configure that to have Notifications ON, or OFF, and to display for different amounts of time.

If you Right Click it you can open 'Properties' and change a couple of settings using 'Switches'.
If you Left Click it and choose 'Do Not Disturb' Switch, you will tell it to leave you alone.
If you Left Click it and choose 'Notification Settings' - in the General Tab you can Adjust lots of things including the length of time a Notification shows. Default I think used to be about 5 seconds. These days Mine is set for 1 second !
If you open the Applications tab, you can select (using switches for each App) which Apps that link to your 'systray' you want to allow to show Notifications.
pasystray is one of those. So you can choose to let it show for say 1 Second in the General tab, or you can select the Slider for it in the Applications tab to OFF.

Many people never check things like settings on Notifications (or other tray items) and don;t get to see all these useful settings...

E D I T
I am still trying to find where (and How) I changed the volume 'steps' from 5% to 2%.
I remember doing it - and I probably wrote down what I was doing in case I stuffed it up and needed to revert. But I can't see it on this machine.
I checked my other computers and they all adjust ALL their volumes by 5% steps, so it is definitely something I discovered on this particular computer.
It has me baffled at the moment, because searching Giggle and Ducky don;t seem to give me any answers. I used to dig right into pulse when I was building a 'home-made' surround 7.2 sound system and playing with my DAC . .
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

Request to Moderators:

Should we Open a Thread somewhere in the Appropriate Sound and Audio > PulseAudio section of the forum, and drag the last few posts about PulseAudio across to that.
Perhaps just leave a Link here saying that this latter part of the discussion has been moved to a more relevant spot?
I think my replies have dragged the post well away from the original 'Conky' discussion..
Todd Sauve
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Todd Sauve »

I think that is a good idea to move this over to the Sound category. There are a lot of people with the same questions over there. But I must go to bed for the night. It is getting near to 11:30 pm here in Calgary but I see you are in Oz! Getting to be summer down under isn't it? Thanks for your help and I'll go through your suggestions once I've had some sleep. 👌😉😎

PS I know a guitarist named Shane who lives in Melbourne and has a YouTube channel. He complained about the temp getting down around 10 C in winter. I told him to come on up to Calgary when it is -30 to -40 C in the winter, with 3 feet of snow and a 50 mph wind. He sort of shuddered and fell off his stool! Ha, ha!

Actually, it hit -67 F here in Alberta two years ago. No, I'm not kidding. Since F and C come together at -40 that is just too cold to contemplate. Even Canadians stay inside and keep the furnace running when it is like that. That kind of weather will kill you in very short order if it can get at you! 👀😮🤷‍♂️
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

It is springtime here at the moment, and I'm sitting with the door and windows open. Temp is 24 C outside, 25C inside at 1045ish pm.

A few weeks ago we had our 3 weeks of the nearest we get to winter. Several nights around 12 C and 14 C, then it was back to normal at around 19 C to 21C.

Of course I'm nearly 2,000 kilometres North of Melbourne (where I used to live) as the chook flies - about 2300 kilometres on foot. So the weather is a little different in the tropics. We don;t really get seasons like our Southern neighbours. We have a 'Wet season' from roughly October to May, when it is usually cloudy, rainy and hot, and a dry season from about May to October, when it is usually sunny, dryish and hot.
A short drive North from here again (about 800 kilometres) the weather is even more exciting!

I searched all my files from Mint 19 to Mint 21, and can't find anything that I should have written about adjusting those Volume steps from 5% to 2%.
I remember doing it, and I almost never fail to document changes like that - but I can't find where I wrote what I did, nor any backup config files.
I also trolled through every pulseaudio setting I could find, and most of my alsa stuff.

I know it is there somewhere, and it should be saved on THIS machine, because the BRIX still has everything on 5% steps.
Todd Sauve
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Todd Sauve »

I finally just turned the Notifications off. I was getting annoyed with it all. The volume icon is apparently set at 2% steps up and down. But this is not the pavolume I remember from Mint 20.3. However, better the 2% I can get with this than the 5% that is the default.

10 to 15 C at night is what we get in the middle of summer, with a rare 20 C at night. Highs can get over 100 F, so we do get hot occasionally. Being right next to the Rockies, cooler air always comes down the slopes and into the city at night. Thank goodness! Where I grew up in Regina, in the summer the heat would lay right on top of you all night long and swelter. 90 F, high humidity compared to Calgary, and no breeze all night is just miserable. Thankfully I haven't had to endure that for 45 years now.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

Great to hear you sorted notifications, and that the pavolume control is working in 2% steps. You 'should' still have your other volume control icon on the panel somewhere. Once you have explored pavucontrol a little more, (if you right click pasystray Volume Icon there's a menu item 'Volume control' about half way down) you will find one setting that allows you to go up to 150% volume. I mentioned before to watch for that because if you are wearing headphones you can so serious ear damage, even more if you are wearing ear buds. I know I'm stressing this - but it is really important.

However. The upside to being able to overdrive the hardware like this, while it will cause horrible distortion in some cases, is that you can dial up any badly mixed tracks that are way too quiet. I often have it defaulting to 120%.

The pasystray icon often only shows 'audio-volume-low' or 'audio-volume-high' when you hover the rat over it. Hovering it over the 'normal' Volume Icon for the panel, will give you a percentage. Scrolling on the normal panel volume icon will lower the volume by 5% steps and once it is below 100%, it will probably only go back to 100% max. You have to scroll on the pasystray volume icon to get back over 100%.
You might find that if your mousewheel is one that feels like it moves in little notches as it turns, you have to go 2 notches to show ANY change in the pasystray volume. That's just one of those things. You get used to it eventually.

Sorry this is so long, but that should cover most of the stuff.
I would move the stuff about sound to another post that is 'On Topic', but the Moderators start jumping up and down and get all bent out of shape if we do that, so for the time being, I'll continue to reply to any questions about it here :-)
Todd Sauve
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Todd Sauve »

Okay, thanks for all the help Ross. I think I'm as good to go now as I'm ever going to be be with this volume control. And with my Conky. I had to trim off the the last information line about my video card's fan speed off because I couldn't get it to fit on the desktop otherwise. For some reason the Conky had grown too big. It fit fine in Mint 20.3 but not in Mint 21. Oh well, into every life some unhappiness must fall! Ha, ha!

Thanks again Ross! 👌
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

That's the best-candidate conky-manager2: https://github.com/zcot/conky-manager2

The problem with using either of the 2 available ppa's, which are built directly from this github source mentioned above, are that those guys are not updating them. There has been a number of useful changes that are not present in those versions. "Open in terminal", -that's a feature to be able to see the error output if a config is failing.

Another caveat with using conky on Mint 21 is that we get a version of conky that will now fail using the internal convert script when you feed it the legacy old pre-lua-based config. Some of the most simple ones with an inline lua call might work, but anything advanced and ending up using loadstring, I believe is where the failure is, will fail. This has to do with changes to the conky version that is available in the Jammy repositories.

The following is how you turn the github build above into a .deb file on your own. You don't need those lazy and outdated ppa efforts, and they do not update automatically. If you ever see one with my name on it then you can assume that it will be updated and working correctly, otherwise you are just getting the simple package that is already available to build(yourself) from the original source code where some other random person is putting it up on launchpad.

It's not even any harder than the initial compile, which I think is quite easy, even without understanding everything that is going on. The reason I do not give the instructions directly are because you have to install(even temporarily) a lot of other development packages to be able to get the .deb file built. But after you do it, you have the single .deb file and you can use it as you normally would, easy double-click install, and also the same for removal, double-click and let gdebi do the automatic work.
You follow the normal conky-manager2 build instructions and stop after this command:
make

you do not: sudo make install
otherwise you should remove conky-manager2 like this: sudo make uninstall

You must be in that correct directory where the conky-manager2 folder is.
My example is creating a directory at home(~) called "source", and I do the building inside there.
So, I have the source code project from github here:
~/source/conky-manager2/
And when you build the .deb it will build it "out of tree"(outside of the main source code files/folders, -this way it does not affect their integrity):
~/source/builds/temp/

Now, this is how to create a .deb file from this same build directory( ~/source/conky-manager2/ ).

apt install bzr-builddeb debhelper meson

next command:

./build-deb.sh
You get an informational message:
This package has a Debian revision number but there does not seem to be
an appropriate original tar file or .orig directory in the parent directory;
(expected one of conky-manager2_2.7.orig.tar.gz, conky-manager2_2.7.orig.tar.bz2,
conky-manager2_2.7.orig.tar.lzma, conky-manager2_2.7.orig.tar.xz or conky-manager2-2.7.orig)
continue anyway? (y/n)
y

The end result appears as failure but this is fine, fail message, something like:
debsign: gpg error occurred! Aborting....
debuild: fatal error at line 1112:
running debsign failed
brz: ERROR: The build failed.
Failed

Everything is fine though:

Now go find the deb:
look in: ~/source/builds/temp/
find the file similar to this:
conky-manager2_2.7-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb
NOT the one with 'dbgsym_' in the name:
conky-manager2-dbgsym_2.7-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb

Maybe you move or copy that to the Downloads folder? You can put it somewhere else, because now you can delete all this conky-manager2 directory and the builds/temp/.

Both directories are only taking up 35 MiB disk space.

Move that .deb file first, then you can kill the whole build directories and all the files:
~/source/conky-manager2 and ~/source/builds(this is where the .deb build landed)

And you can get rid of all the previous build tools packages:

apt autoremove build-essential git valac libgee-0.8-dev libgtk-3-dev libjson-glib-dev gettext libgettextpo-dev bzr-builddeb debhelper meson
You can check the main section on the forums for the category: Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets here: viewforum.php?f=212

If you have any issues, there are a lot of knowledgeable users there.

Return to “Software & Applications”