[solved]¿how to show all devices/partitions in nemo?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Juan_David95
Level 2
Level 2

[solved]¿how to show all devices/partitions in nemo?

Post by Juan_David95 »

Friends had problems to open nemo quickly, so I found a way to open nemo with the highest priority in this way:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

echo yourpassword | sudo -S nice -n -20 sudo -u $USER /usr/bin/nemo
note: where it says yourpassword change to your root password.

Nemo opens from my user with maximum priority and the truth is that the opening has improved a lot, the problem I have now is that the nemo process has sudo as its parent and I think that means that the devices do not appear, that is, the other partitions for mount them.

Is there a way for nemo in root mode to also display all partitions for mounting/unmounting?

Please help!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: ¿how to show all devices/partitions in nemo?

Post by mikeflan »

It's probably best not to open nemo with sudo.

Try Super + E. Does that work well? If not, state the problem again with quantitative criteria.
Juan_David95
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Juan_David95 »

nemo it took me 7 to 9 seconds to open the first time when the equipment turned on. Now launching it with maximum priority opens 2-3 seconds. The way I launch it, nemo opens from my user but the parent process is sudo and that's why I think the other partitions don't appear to mount them. Super+E just opens the file manager for me again so it doesn't help me.

¿Is there no way to let nemo root see the other partitions and see if that helps?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Using Nemo - as any graphical program - with sudo will for sure create problems. If really(!!!) needed you can open a Nemo window with elevated rights from the context menu. But it is until now unclear, why you come to the idea to do that.

To see, what your sudo mistake had possibly done, open a terminal and enter

find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f
Provide the output using the code tags with the </> button in the forum.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

nemo it took me 7 to 9 seconds to open the first time when the equipment turned on.
That is too long, unless maybe you are not waiting 30 - 60 seconds after startup to start Nemo.
Now launching it with maximum priority opens 2-3 seconds.
That is too long too. Super+E should open Nemo in less than a second. Does it for you?

When I do sudo in Nemo I don't work across drives, so I would not notice if they are listed or not. I do what I need in the folder I opened Nemo in and then I'm out. We are warning you - you too should gain a health respect for sudo and not use it on a steady basis. Lets work to get Nemo to open fast for you and list what you need.
Juan_David95
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Juan_David95 »

My hard drive is not that fast; also I'm using google-drive-ocamlfuse which I think affects the opening of the file manager a bit. That's why I've decided to run nemo with top priority; but nemo does not open as root, it opens from my user who is juan although the father of the process is sudo and therefore I think the partitions to mount them do not appear.

Super+E opens the file manager only and shows me the same. It doesn't help at all. The system does not have any damage, if I want I can restart the computer and run nemo normally, only I will have to wait several seconds for it to open the first time and that is what I want to avoid.
TheyLive
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TheyLive »

Juan_David95 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:22 pm
Is there a way for nemo in root mode to also display all partitions for mounting/unmounting?

Please help!!!
Can you try to mount them in this script too?
>>>>> Goodly Mint <<<<< Only browser addon for this forum
Juan_David95
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Juan_David95 »

Oh God, that hadn't occurred to me, but technically I can mount it from this script.

thank you very much "Ellos viven" for the idea.

I'll wait a while and if I don't find an idea, better or cleaner, I'll give this topic as solved
TheyLive
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TheyLive »

:)
>>>>> Goodly Mint <<<<< Only browser addon for this forum
Juan_David95
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Juan_David95 »

For anyone who wants to use this solution for some reason, the script would look like this:

#!/bin/bash

echo yourpassword | sudo -S nice -n -20 sudo -u $USER /usr/bin/nemo;
sleep 2
sudo mount /dev/sda2 /media/Linux
sleep 1
sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sda3 /media/Windows-datos
replace sda2,sda3 with the name of your partition, you can find it in gparted(graphically) or fdisk -l.
previously it is necessary to create folders in /media to mount the partitions in this way

sudo mkdir /media/partitionname
note: if the partition is ntfs(windows) it is necessary to specify(-t ntfs) it like this in the script

to unmount, in my case I only have to right click "open with administrative permissions" and there unmount what you want or create a launcher that executes a script that unmounts all or some partitions(

sudo umount /dev/sdb4
).

I think this solution will help this user who had a similar problem: viewtopic.php?t=209021

Return to “Software & Applications”