19.3: XnView Advertises HEIC Manipulation, Doesn't Deliver

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DB [NOT Cooper]
Level 1
Level 1

19.3: XnView Advertises HEIC Manipulation, Doesn't Deliver

Post by DB [NOT Cooper] »

I installed XnView to convert HEIC files at a set resolution and size for publishing, but neither the Flatpak nor the Debian version recognize or list the format.

If anybody still cares about the 19,3 repo, they should probably edit the blurb. Falling back on my Mac for this issue.

LM 19.3, Tricia
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DB
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Re: 19.3: XnView Advertises HEIC Manipulation, Doesn't Deliver

Post by rossdv8 »

Did you do:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install libheif1
??
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

DB [NOT Cooper] wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:06 pm I installed XnView to convert HEIC files at a set resolution and size for publishing,
Try the Converseen AppImage. (The version in the 19.x repositories will not work because a later version of ImageMagick is a dependency for HEIC.) A flatpak is also available, but I do not know if it supports HEIC.
https://converseen.fasterland.net/
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

Converseen is excellent, but I find on my huge monitor the fonts are hard to read, while XnView looks 'normal'. So although I had Converseen on Mint 20.3, I didn't bother installing it on Mint 21.

However, I checked my XnView and it didn't show HEIC (or HEIF) as an option. So I downloaded the latest Appimage, and whilst it advertises HEIC, it does not show anywhere I can see in the Convert or the Export options.

As pointed out by Ben though, Converseen shows both HEIC and HEIF as options.

I think if you go with Ben's suggestion, you will have a decent solution, and if you are used to using XnView, you will pretty soon get used to Converseen.
While I'll probably keep using XnView for some jobs, I will continue using Converseen as well, now that I added the Appimage to Mint 21.

Thanks Ben :D
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
DB [NOT Cooper]
Level 1
Level 1

rossdv8 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:47 am Did you do:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install libheif1
??
No, I relied on the blurb in Software Manager for something with a deadline, and didn't have time for a weeds visit. I also may have read HEIC for HEIF, unless the blurb was updated between then and now....

When I have more time, I'll reinstall and try your suggestion; thanks!
DB
DB [NOT Cooper]
Level 1
Level 1

BenTrabetere wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:47 am >quote snip<
Try the Converseen AppImage. (The version in the 19.x repositories will not work because a later version of ImageMagick is a dependency for HEIC.) A flatpak is also available, but I do not know if it supports HEIC. ...
Thanks for the suggestion. The emergency is past, so hopefully I won't need it again--even after migrating to LM 20.
DB

Return to “Software & Applications”