Are there any popular and maintained 7zip equivalents lately? <Solved>

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alkanshel
Level 2
Level 2

Are there any popular and maintained 7zip equivalents lately? <Solved>

Post by alkanshel »

I know mint comes with a CLI equivalent of 7zip, but a GUI would be nice.
If possible, a rightclick menu option to "Extract to folder..." would be ideal. The only option there right now is "Extract here"
Last edited by LockBot on Thu May 04, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Maxwell-J
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Are there any popular and maintained 7zip equivalents lately?

Post by Maxwell-J »

alkanshel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alkanshel »

Hello, you're right, it seems peazip does have a context menu option

https://peazip.github.io/screenshots-peazip-3.html

My only other concern with it is that it isn't available through synaptic by default, so I figured I would have to uninstall it for the next OS upgrade. But seems like it's recognized in synaptic now. I won't have to uninstall it to use the mint updater next time, right?
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

In Caja, the file browser for LM Mate, there is a "Extract To..." if I right click a zip file (or 7z file, or any other archive format). Nemo in LM Cinnamon don't have that???

Suggestion: Feature request it in https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo-extensions/issues
Maxwell-J
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Maxwell-J »

billyswong wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:47 am In Caja, the file browser for LM Mate, there is a "Extract To..." if I right click a zip file (or 7z file, or any other archive format). Nemo in LM Cinnamon don't have that???

Suggestion: Feature request it in https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo-extensions/issues
pretty easy to create the action yourself .......

see what shawon_ had to say 2 years ago viewtopic.php?p=1897235#p1897235

alkanshel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alkanshel »

After a little while working with Peazip, I have to admit I'm not really satisfied with it

* Basic window cascading with superkey doesn't work
* Can't select all and drag the files anywhere--the selection is lost as soon as you click it again
* There's no rightclick context menu.. instead right-clicking takes you to some other unrelated view

I primarily need something that can handle password-protected archives (default manager can't open them) so I'll still be using this out of necessity, but I gotta wonder if there are any other options.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

It is unclear what OS are you using, archive managers in are different all three DE.
-=t42=-
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Default archive managers offer almost the same functionality in all 3 DEs.
And it is limited compared to what you can do with the most common utilities on Windows like the win version of 7zip for example.
Pea-zip could have been a solution to this problem but both its GTK n Qt gui are found... wanting.

Anyway, password-protected files are surely supported if you install the proper dependencies, i.e unrar (nonfree), p7zip-full, p7zip-rar etc.
Password-protected zip files are supported OOB.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

MiZoG wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:16 am
unrar (nonfree)
not relevant, but you need p7zip-full, p7zip-rar
-=t42=-
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

LM 21 Cinnamon. Both File Manager and Archive Manager have .7z listed among all the formats they handle. They also have .tar.7z for directories.
alkanshel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alkanshel »

So it seems like for peazip there isn't really an option to have a menu shortcut that extracts to the current directory. In fact peazip is GUI-only, it doesn't even have a man page. If I call it with a shortcut and pass a file, peazip will just open it normally.

So now my goal (and I'm not sure how it'll work with passwording) is to set up a menu option that calls p7zip and extracts the files to the current directory. But it doesn't work currently. Here is my shortcut script
[Nemo Action]
Active=true
Name=Extract here
Comment=Extract to the current directory.
Exec=p7zip -d %F
Selection=notnone
Extensions=zip;7z;ar;cbz;cpio;exe;iso;jar;tar;tar.Z;tar.bz2;tar.gz;tar.lz;tar.lzma;tar.xz;rar;
Quote=double
It seems like I'm between a rock and a hard place with these two options, but then again I am not terribly creative. :)

t42 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:35 am It is unclear what OS are you using, archive managers in are different all three DE.
I'm using cinnamon

Petermint wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:08 am LM 21 Cinnamon. Both File Manager and Archive Manager have .7z listed among all the formats they handle. They also have .tar.7z for directories.
My problem with archive manager is that it doesn't handle password-protected archives
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

My problem with archive manager is that it doesn't handle password-protected archives
Really? It does for me.
7z.png
7z.png (20.64 KiB) Viewed 606 times
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

alkanshel wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:09 pm My problem with archive manager is that it doesn't handle password-protected archives
Cinnamon's archive manager comes from Gnome. I found a bug report that looks similar to your issue. https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/file-roller/-/issues/142

I am running LM 21 Mate in my computer. I test the "problematic ZIP archive" attached in that bug report. The extraction process is smooth and bug-free. The archive manager in Mate is called engrampa. Engrampa does have a man page and allows command line operations.
alkanshel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alkanshel »

Thanks for letting me know about that bug, as it is the same error message I was seeing. I did find a fix, my problem with the passwords was due to my not having p7zip-rar
t42 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:23 am
MiZoG wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:16 am
unrar (nonfree)
not relevant, but you need p7zip-full, p7zip-rar
Now that I can use that one, the context menu option is working properly. My needs are met, I uninstalled peazip. Thank you everybody!
alkanshel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alkanshel »

Maxwell-J wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:47 am
billyswong wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:47 am In Caja, the file browser for LM Mate, there is a "Extract To..." if I right click a zip file (or 7z file, or any other archive format). Nemo in LM Cinnamon don't have that???

pretty easy to create the action yourself .......

see what shawon_ had to say 2 years ago viewtopic.php?p=1897235#p1897235
I forgot to mention specifically, this worked great for the default archive manager.

Return to “Software & Applications”