dvd95 converted from .rpm error while loading shared libraries: libgnomeui-2.so.0

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Olaf2020

dvd95 converted from .rpm error while loading shared libraries: libgnomeui-2.so.0

Post by Olaf2020 »

Hello, I have a problem with a software, the software is dvd95 which is only available in an old .deb version which is not installable due to dependencies, I found the newest rpm package

https://fedora.pkgs.org/37/rpmfusion-fr ... 4.rpm.html

I converted it with alien and it is installable, unfortunately it doesn't start, so I launched it from the terminal and it gives me the following error.

Code: Select all

~$ dvd95
dvd95: error while loading shared libraries: libgnomeui-2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
any suggestions?

Edit: I was forgetting which mint version I'm using

~$ lsb_release -ds && echo $DESKTOP_SESSION && uname -m
Linux Mint 21
cinnamon
x86_64
spamegg
Level 13
Level 13

Re: dvd95 converted from .rpm error while loading shared libraries: libgnomeui-2.so.0

Post by spamegg »

It seems like the library libgnomeui that contains the dependency file was removed from Ubuntu repositories from 20.04 onward, because it was deprecated.

viewtopic.php?t=324943
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1232446 ... from-20-04

Some old apps are affected by this and there doesn't seem to be any way around it.

You can try to extract the Fedora package and get the .so file from inside it, and manually place it where it's supposed to be (I'm not sure where that is, /usr/lib/???) but it will probably report even more missing shared libraries.
Olaf2020

Re: dvd95 converted from .rpm error while loading shared libraries: libgnomeui-2.so.0

Post by Olaf2020 »

i try to convert and install rpm package
https://fedora.pkgs.org/37/fedora-x86_6 ... 4.rpm.html

the installation of. deb goes through, and I find the libraries here

~$ locate libgnomeui-2.so.0
/usr/lib64/libgnomeui-2.so.0
/usr/lib64/libgnomeui-2.so.0.2400.5
but it's the same result, dvd95 don't start with yhe same errore from terminal.

I also tried a symbolic link to /usr/lib but no luck

sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libgnomeui-2.so.0 /usr/lib
but no luck

~$ locate libgnomeui-2.so.0
/usr/lib/libgnomeui-2.so.0
/usr/lib64/libgnomeui-2.so.0
/usr/lib64/libgnomeui-2.so.0.2400.5
spamegg
Level 13
Level 13

Post by spamegg »

It looks like dvd95 is not maintained anymore:
Screenshot from 2022-12-02 16-04-13.png
Look at the last update.

You should consider finding an alternative program. https://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-dv ... tware.html
Olaf2020

Post by Olaf2020 »

it's old but apparently it should still do its job if it's maintained on other distros. but it's not a problem to do the same thing I use ffmpeg from terminal, I would have liked to be able to reuse that software... patience, I will continue to use ffmpeg from cli

Thanks for your interest
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Olaf2020 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:41 am it's old but apparently it should still do its job if it's maintained on other distros ...
Just because it's in the Fedora repo doesn't mean it's maintaineed by or for them. And I wouldn't assume thaty it'd work in Fedora anyway :wink: . Neither Fedora or Ubuntu/Mint maintain the app software in the repos.

These kind of programs are becoming abandonware because they've been subject to legal action for a long time and the truth is that since users have largely abandined physical media. There just isn't much demand anymore.

Another thing, converting .rpm to .deb is very unreliable. It's not worth the bother, esp. considering that the Ubuntu package base is better.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Olaf2020

Post by Olaf2020 »

I didn't say that it is maintained by the developers of fedora, I said that fedora has it in the repositories and this can make you think that if they keep it in the repos maybe it works...

for the rest, I've practically never used distros with .rpm package system apart from a small parenthesis with PCLinuxOS and I can't say if .deb or .rpm is better

anyway my request was clear, if anyone knows how to make it work, all other talk about what is better between .rpm and .deb etc... is OT

thanks
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Locked at the request of the topic starter.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”