Solved linux in a chromebook using ChromeOS

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jayr69
Level 3
Level 3

Solved linux in a chromebook using ChromeOS

Post by jayr69 »

Hello everyone.
In a chromebook i have installed mixxx in the linux apps.
When i connect my external drive on the chromebook i specified that i want to share the drive with the linux apps but i am not able to drag any music in mixxx.
The first question is would it be possible to make this work.
If not, the second question is would it be possible to replace Chrome os by linux mint?
I wouldn't mind scrapping chrome os and replacing it by mint as long that the sound works.
Let me know what you think please
Last edited by LockBot on Sun May 28, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: linux in a chromebook

Post by Termy »

I hear Linux works really well on those laptops, likely because ChromeOS is based on Linux. I would do some research with that model. It shouldn't be difficult to search for it. Check YouTube for videos by people reviewing that model with Linux, for example. That's what I'd do. I wouldn't even bother messing around with ChromeOS, TBH. However, ditching ChromeOS will surely pee all over your warrantee/guarantee. Also, you may simply not like Linux, in which case going back to ChromeOS could be a huge pain. Heck, the process of installing Linux on a Chromebook might not be so simple, because... you know, Apple. :lol:

I have no idea if this is the same thing, but this Subreddit looks interesting: https://www.reddit.com/r/chrultrabook/
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: linux in a chromebook using ChromeOS

Post by SMG »

jayr69 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:38 pmIf not, the second question is would it be possible to replace Chrome os by linux mint?
I wouldn't mind scrapping chrome os and replacing it by mint as long that the sound works.
I can not answer your question about Chrome OS, but I have helped many people who installed Linux Mint on their Chromebooks.

Mr Chromebook website and this blog post How I turned an old Chromebook Pixel into a native Linux laptop running Ubuntu can give you an idea of what is involved.

You will have to do searches on your specific Chromebook model to know whether or not the sound will work on Linux-based distros.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
jayr69
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jayr69 »

Thanks for the help everyone, i will try that and let you know what happens
jayr69
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jayr69 »

Well it turns out that my model (ASUS C204MA) is not compatible with the ways to proceed that i found on internet and here with you guys.
I use my favorite linux software with crostina but i still didn't find a way to access my external hard drive with those programs

Return to “Chat about Linux”