25 second hang VLC and Nomacs

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AgentF
Level 1
Level 1

25 second hang VLC and Nomacs

Post by AgentF »

The first week of November I did all the updates that were available. I had only done a couple updates to a couple programs for about half a year. Before the update everything opened instantaneously. After the update, it took VLC 25 seconds to open movies and audio files, from my SSD, HDD, and my external DVD player. Nomacs also took 25 seconds to open image files. When opening files from the same folder, I can go to the next image instantaneously in Nomacs after an image is opened. These same files opened instantaneously when I opened them with Brave Browser.

I used Timeshift to go back to before I did the update, but the problem remained. Today I updated everything to the most recent update, still the problem remains.

I'm using Mint 20.3, with Cinnamon.

The computer is a Dell desktop that was manufactured in 2018, I've had it for one year and this is the first time I've had any problems with anything hanging, everything has always been very quick until this problem.

Anyone know why VLC and Nomacs might be having this problem? Thanks for any advice.
Last edited by LockBot on Sun May 28, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: 25 second hang VLC and Nomacs

Post by mikeflan »

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Lets see if running it like this will tell us anything:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/vlc --started-from-file '/home/mike/Desktop/Music/20 Here Comes the Sun.wma'
Change the last part to one of your songs.

Here is the output when I run that:

Code: Select all

$ /usr/bin/vlc --started-from-file '/home/mike/Desktop/Music/20 Here Comes the Sun.wma'
VLC media player 3.0.9.2 Vetinari (revision 3.0.9.2-0-gd4c1aefe4d)
[000055d6662c25b0] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
qt5ct: D-Bus global menu: no
qt5ct: D-Bus system tray: yes
[The song plays here]
QObject::~QObject: Timers cannot be stopped from another thread
$ 

Return to “Software & Applications”