Firefox doesn't appear after first click on link

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Trik16
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Firefox doesn't appear after first click on link

Post by Trik16 »

SMG wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:23 pm Which app?
Slack
SMG wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:23 pm Did you click twice when producing the output you posted? If so, it does not seem the software saw both clicks?
No, just once, this is just one click.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

The mentioned links in a slack app are probably links shared in the messages. The handling of such links in slack is anything but straightforward. There are two kinds of links preview, one of which is available only in the payed version and this preview can be disabled or enabled by group administrator. link handling is complicated. Also according to the slack support different browsers can behave differently interacting with slack and on top of that slack for Linux is still in beta stage.
Did Firefox started in new empty profile has the issue?
Did Chrome and Chromium have the issue?
-=t42=-
Trik16
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Trik16 »

I just noticed that I didn't submitted properly the last time and now I need to rewrite the reply again :oops:
t42 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:11 pm The mentioned links in a slack app are probably links shared in the messages.

No, I posted specifically the logs of an external link. To avoid misunderstanding here other logs with reference to external and internal links:

Code: Select all

[12/13/22, 14:06:39:899] info: Breadcrumb: electron: window.scroll-touch-edge 
[12/13/22, 14:06:39:842] info: Store: EXTEND_MENU T0LVBGRT3: menucategory-file,menucategory-view,menucategory-edit,menucategory-history,menucategory-help
[12/13/22, 14:06:39:899] info: Breadcrumb: electron: window.scroll-touch-edge 
{
  "id": 1,
  "url": "https://app.slack.com/client/T0LVBGRT3/C0LV8QRPX/thread/G8039809L-1670935357.362139"
}
[12/13/22, 14:06:41:106] info: actionForExternalWindowURL: Opening external window 
[12/13/22, 14:06:41:109] info: openExternal: Successfully opened external URL 
{
  "protocol": "https:",
  "trigger": 0
}

From the timestamp you can see the differences from internal and external links. And it works but I'm not redirected to it. It simply open the tab.
t42 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:11 pm There are two kinds of links preview, one of which is available only in the payed version and this preview can be disabled or enabled by group administrator.

I use slack for work and my company has enterprise licensing plan. The problem is, somehow, with the interaction between application and GUI
t42 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:11 pm Did Firefox started in new empty profile has the issue?
Did Chrome and Chromium have the issue?
Yes, that are one of the first things that I tried.

UPDATE:
I noticed that the problem are only between workspaces. If I open an external link from an app in the same workspace I'm redirected to the new open tab an firefox app comes on top. If firefox, as I usually work, is in another workspace the app opens the link successfully but I'm not redirected to firefox tab. Basically the apps it's capable to send the "open new tab" command but not to move me through the workspaces
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Do you have slack flatpak (not affiliated with, or supported by Slack Technologies) or installed from downloaded deb file?
Do you have a confirmation pop-ups when a link is prompting to open another program or you switched off that switched ON by default option?
Concerning latest edit above, I successfully opened links from several standard open source Linux apps in Firefox, which was located in the second workspace (I hope we are talking about Linux workspaces here, not Slack workspaces), no issues found.
Slack is not an open source application, is there a Linux support of a kind?
-=t42=-
Trik16
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Trik16 »

t42 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:01 am Do you have slack flatpak (not affiliated with, or supported by Slack Technologies) or installed from downloaded deb file?
I've installed .deb from slack website
t42 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:01 am Do you have a confirmation pop-ups when a link is prompting to open another program or you switched off that switched ON by default option?
Are you talking about system settings or application settings? I didn't touch anything in the settings of the app. In the system setting I changed just a couple of graphical effects of the environment and some keyboard shortcut but this didn't work from the installation. I want also to say again that the system apps or components that has external links works. I was successfully redirect from a different workspace to firefox window when I opened links from package manager or to generate the report from system information component
t42 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:01 am Concerning latest edit above, I successfully opened links from several standard open source Linux apps in Firefox, which was located in the second workspace (I hope we are talking about Linux workspaces here, not Slack workspaces), no issues found.
Yes, Linux workspaces.
t42 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:01 am Slack is not an open source application, is there a Linux support of a kind?
I didn't ask to Slack support because I have this problem with all the third-parties application:
Slack and VScode are the apps I use the most
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Trik16 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:08 am I want also to say again that the system apps or components that has external links works. I was successfully redirect from a different workspace to firefox window when I opened links from package manager or to generate the report from system information component
I didn't ask to Slack support because I have this problem with all the third-parties application:
The operating system does not have control over the code in third-party applications. Nor does it have control over Firefox code.

I think it would be a good idea to ask Slack support about the issue. They might be able to give some leads as to why this might be happening.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Trik16 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:08 am
Do you have a confirmation pop-ups when a link is prompting to open another program
Are you talking about system settings or application settings?
a confirmation pop-ups is a slack feature, obviously
Trik16 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:08 am
t42 wrote: ↑13 Dec 2022 16:01
Slack is not an open source application, is there a Linux support of a kind?
VScode is not a open-source as well, it's a Microsoft product and as Microsoft put it 'is "built" on open source, rather than "is" open source'
Both Slack and VScode are based on Electron, both are not open source and both are not in the distribution repositories. So the reasoning that if two different applications have the same issue it is points to the operation system may be wrong.

Edit: missed SMG comment which is spot on.
-=t42=-

Return to “Software & Applications”