Foxclone problems. Foxclone 50 Rewritten version.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rademes
Level 2
Level 2

Foxclone problems. Foxclone 50 Rewritten version.

Post by Rademes »

Good day!
This post will contain many screen photos, stored in my Google disk.
I have downloaded foxclone_std-50-06.iso 5.4 kernel from http://foxclone.org/ and have written it on my USB flash drive using dd utility.
The written flash drive was checked using dd utility.
The image was written correctly to the USB flash drive.
But, there are some problems with this Foxclone release.
-------------------
1. After I have booted USB flash drive, I have selected Check USB for defects option in order to check the integrity of my flash drive. I always do this before booting Live system. But, the check utility showed me, that verification was failed and error was found in 1 file.
-------------------
2. When I tried to boot Foxclone on my old but still well working LenovoN100 notebook, the boot failed. I saw only black screen without anything.
Then I tried to change boot parameters, to see why is it so. The boot has stopped at this output.
Then I tried Safe Mode, and it only showed me VESA video modes with wrong screen resolution (my notebook has 1280x800 screen resolution).
Finally, I was able to boot using VESA 1024x768x32 mode, but in that mode everything on the screen was blurry and texts were hard to read. That is not good...
Here is my LenovoN100 system information. This photo was taken from installed Linux Mint 20.2. Not from booted Foxclone.
Looks like, Foxclone does not have Intel i915 driver, so it works only in VESA mode.
Any chance to add it to Foxclone?
-------------------
3. I have read, that Rewritten version v.50 has the ability to change font size in Foxclone application. But this does not working for me :(
When I try to change fonts, the application only changes title font size.
Please watch this video.
-------------------
Except those problems Foxclone seems to work well! I was able to make system backup and verify it successfully! I have not tried to restore it yet, but I think it will work well too.
Thank You very much, Andy, for your work!
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Foxclone problems. Foxclone 50 Rewritten version.

Post by AndyMH »

With mint I just use mint's usb image writer to write a foxclone iso to a stick. I also use ventoy and foxclone v50 is ventoy aware.
1. After I have booted USB flash drive, I have selected Check USB for defects option in order to check the integrity of my flash drive. I always do this before booting Live system. But, the check utility showed me, that verification was failed and error was found in 1 file.
I had that issue as well but gave up trying to fix it as I couldn't find the cause. It was something due to moving to a later build of ubuntu as the base system.

The i915 driver is built into the kernel and I'm guessing that there is a problem between the age of your laptop (2006?) and the 5.4 kernel in the standard foxclone iso.

Could not replicate the failure to change font size, this on a thinkpad T430:
Screenshot from 2022-12-03 16-46-26.png
Screenshot from 2022-12-03 16-46-37.png
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Rademes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rademes »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:55 pm The i915 driver is built into the kernel and I'm guessing that there is a problem between the age of your laptop (2006?) and the 5.4 kernel in the standard foxclone iso.
I see, but installed on my laptop Linux Mint 20.2 also has Kernel 5.4.0-132-generic, and the Intel i915 driver works very well there. Maybe it is possible somehow to force Foxclone to use this driver?
Rademes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rademes »

After some testing and web searching, I have figured out, that the problem is in lightdm. lightdm fails to start along with i915 driver, but it starts successfully on another PC with nvidia graphics card. The reason is - the greeter does not starting. This problem exists only in Foxclone v50-std version, which is based on Ubuntu 18.04.
Foxclone v50-Edge, which is based on Ubuntu 20.04 starts normally at my old notebook, no need to run Safe mode.
I was unable to solve this issue in Foxclone v50-std.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Thanks for that, I switched to lightdm as the display manager with foxclone50, but odd as mint uses lightdm.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

Just a note for Foxclone users. Foxclone works excellent on macs, but Ventoy will not work on a mac. You will need to make a Foxclone live usb.

Return to “Software & Applications”