Get-iplayer v3.01 and LM 17.3 Rosa

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Johnny B Good
Level 1
Level 1

Get-iplayer v3.01 and LM 17.3 Rosa

Post by Johnny B Good »

"Cannot add PPA: 'No JSON object could be decoded'" is the response to the erstwhile successful advice (LM 17.3 Rosa) made in an ancient posting I'd spotted on this subject elsewhere in this forum.(viewtopic.php?p=1345767#p1345767) To be clear, that response was to the following command "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jon-hedgerows/get-iplayer" shown in the penultimate post to that topic thread.

As far as I can see, it seems the original contributor had decided to delete this latest LM17.3 compatible version 3.01 from that PPA repository.

As per the op's original plight, get-iplayer 2.83 was also only the latest version I could download from the only PPA I've been able to add to my aging but otherwise excellent LM 17.3 Rosa setup (best desktop experience to date - later 'KDE' based distros just can't touch it for usability imo), although rather strangely, it does provide a version 3.30 of GiP to my rather belated LM 21 test setup.

I'd recently tried upgrading to LM 21 using the custom partitioning option to preserve my home partition space (only formatting the / and /boot partitions) on a cloned copy of the SSD boot drive parked into an external SATA dock. Unfortunately, a whole string of problems ensued which even included the CR2032 in my desktop's MoBo dying halfway through this past fortnight's trials and tribulations, along with my FreeNAS box throwing a wobbly and an older 120GB Samsung 840EVO, that I was testing out of desperation, deciding to go tits up adding yet more confusion into the mix. I think that SSD may have remained unpowered too long for it to successfully refresh read/write its data content :?:

I knew I'd be in for some grief in attempting to upgrade to a more current OS but not on such a large scale as this! I'm almost back to square one except for this obstacle to getting back to a working get-iplayer v3.01 which, unitl this litany of disasters, had been working perfectly fine.

If there's some secret process to resurrect the fully working GiP v 3.01 (or whichever it actually was -definitely not the badly broken v2.83 I now find myself lumbered with!), I've yet to find it, hence my joining this forum in the hope of getting similar quality but up to date advice on how to solve this final piece of the puzzle.

Any help at this stage, I can assure you, would be very welcome indeed right now. :oops:
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
John

Return to “Software & Applications”