How to cancel a running BackInTime snapshot

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
peterw19
Level 4
Level 4

How to cancel a running BackInTime snapshot

Post by peterw19 »

Hello, Not for the first time I accidentally started a backInTime snapshot which would have taken hours to complete and would have run out of space on the backup device. I can't see any way of cancelling a running snapshot. Eventually I did a shotdown/restart which seems to have stopped it without any serious collateral damage.

Is there a better way to stop the snapshot and its related Rsync processes without doing any damage?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How to cancel a running BackInTime snapshot

Post by JerryF »

I would bring up Task Manager and End/Kill the process.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

ALT-F4
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
peterw19
Level 4
Level 4

Post by peterw19 »

Thanks for these responses. But it looks from system monitor that backintime kicks off separate Rsync processes. Does killing backintime also kill the Rsync processes? And will it leave partially completed snapshots lying about? It looks as if I'll have to set up a controlled test on a non-critical system.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Does killing backintime also kill the Rsync processes?
That is a great question. My guess is Yes, but I would like to see what you find out.

If you get tired of BIT, you might want to try out FreeFileSync. You can stop the synchronize with the push of a button.
peterw19
Level 4
Level 4

Post by peterw19 »

Hi Mike, Thanks for your reply. I will set up a controlled test at some point, but it's not a high priority - I just need to be more careful when starting a snapshot! I just noticed that when a snapshot is actually running a right-click on the tray icon produces a menu with some interesting options, like Stop Snapshot or Pause Snapshot.

Return to “Software & Applications”