[SOLVED] LM 20.3 'Suspend when inactive for x minutes' Freezes and requires hard shutdown

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintybarrels
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] LM 20.3 'Suspend when inactive for x minutes' Freezes and requires hard shutdown

Post by mintybarrels »

Hello again!

After having numerous freezing issues with LM 21, I switched to LM 20.3 and it works mostly great on the 5.14.0-1054-oem kernel.

The only problem I'm having so far is that when the computer reaches the 'inactive' time threshold for suspending - everything freezes up. Regular suspend from closing the lid works fine.

It's only when the computer is inactive, say Rhythmbox is playing and you want to listen to music, that it reaches the x minute mark for 'suspend when inactive for : x minutes', suddenly the music stops, or loops, the screen stays black, keyboard is non-responsive, it won't return from suspend, and requires a hard shut down.

One would think that while an application like Rhythmbox is running, the computer would not reach an 'inactive' threshold, since it is actively playing music, yet it is desirable for the screen to go dark after x minutes of 'inactivity' when only listening to music and no screen is required.

So.... I would like the screen to go dark, when only listening to music, and I realize I could just set 'Suspend when inactive' to "NEVER', but something doesn't seem right... It shouldn't be hanging when it does suspend FROM INACTIVITY. It should just suspend as it's supposed to...

Could this be related to TLP?

Any help troubleshooting would be appreciated. Please let me know what logs/reports you would like to see?

MB
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mintybarrels
Level 3
Level 3

Re: LM 20.3 'Suspend when inactive for x minutes' Freezes and requires hard shutdown

Post by mintybarrels »

Uninstalled TLP, installed auto-cpufreq (from source, not bs snap)... Seems to be fine now.

MB
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: [SOLVED] LM 20.3 'Suspend when inactive for x minutes' Freezes and requires hard shutdown

Post by mikeflan »

Thank you. So to get auto-cpufreq installed all you have to do is run the 2 commands at:
https://github.com/AdnanHodzic/auto-cpu ... -installer
mintybarrels
Level 3
Level 3

Re: LM 20.3 'Suspend when inactive for x minutes' Freezes and requires hard shutdown

Post by mintybarrels »

Yes.. but it installs some files to the home directory, which is annoying. Does anyone know how to install it to root?

Also, false alarm, my suspend problem is intermittent now...

Any ideas from more experienced people?

MB
mintybarrels
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mintybarrels »

I think I've tracked the problem to 'Power Management'.... Somehow, it's related to the screen being inactive, and suspend.

Any ideas?

MB
mintybarrels
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mintybarrels »

Ok... hoping a combination of these two links will do the trick...

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=372355

Also, I did a test last night, and it had some interesting results. I noticed that the "Screensaver" and "Power Management" settings were competing/conflicting. Power Management setting was "Put Display to sleep when inactive for [30 minutes]" and Screensaver setting was "Regard the computer as idle after [5 minutes] and also was set to [Blank Screen]

The experiment I ran was to set the screensaver to 35 minutes (longer than power management), as well as actually set a screensaver to non blank screen. Lo and Behold, the display came back this morning, which hasn't happened in years. Its only one data point, so a few more days and test scenarios are probably warranted, but it was an interesting discovery....

Its almost like the screensaver would black out the screen, and then later on, the power manager would do some version of the same thing, which may cause some form of either display driver failure, xserver failure, etc...

and, possible more importantly....

https://www.tecmint.com/disable-suspend ... -in-linux/

which advises to .....
Disable Suspend and Hibernation in Linux

To prevent your Linux system from suspending or going into hibernation, you need to disable the following systemd targets:

Code: Select all

$ sudo systemctl mask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target hybrid-sleep.target
You get the output shown below:

hybrid-sleep.target
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/sleep.target → /dev/null.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/suspend.target → /dev/null.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/hibernate.target → /dev/null.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/hybrid-sleep.target → /dev/null.
Disable Suspend and Hibernation in Ubuntu

Then reboot the system and log in again.

Verify if the changes have been effected using the command:

$ sudo systemctl status sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target hybrid-sleep.target

Conclusion

So, I have screensaver set for 10 minutes, I have power options on Power Management set to... On Battery and A/C : turn screen off when inactive for 5 mintues, Suspend when inactive for 10 minutes, and When lid is closed : Suspend.

AND

I used the mask command to disable hibernate and hybrid sleep only... NOT sleep and suspend.

SO FAR, seems to be working,

MB
mintybarrels
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mintybarrels »

A couple weeks later not and no problems...

Going to mark solved on this one!

MB

Return to “Software & Applications”