website freezing computer (only read if you are in USA)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: website freezing computer (only read if you are in USA)

Post by karlchen »

On the suggested Firefox problem:

Cannot reproduce any Firefox problems, when visiting the webpage https://www.target.com, so far.
Specifically Firefox does not crash. It does not freeze. Which are two different things by the way.
More important, the webpage did not make Firefox consume all available system resources, thus potentially causing a system state, which might have required resorting to <Alt><SysReq>-r-e-i-s-u-b.
No, so far none of these problems have occurred here.
And this is on an Acer Aspire One D260, which is short on any kind of resources, which a recent computer is expected to have plenty of today. System Information: https://termbin.com/jkk2

On Chromium:

No advice from my side on Chromium, which I have refused to use, since it entered the scene, almost a much as the evil empire's own browser Google Chrome.
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

LM21 and FF the latest always.

Target.Com splashes all over my screen and wants to suck my bank account dry :mrgreen:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

AZgl1800 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:35 amTarget.Com [...] wants to suck my bank account dry
Instruct Firefox 107.0.1 not to add any credit card details automatically. (Preferences => Privacy & Security)
(Who the heck had this foolish idea of implementing that feature anyway? - No, Foxy, you are not permitted to spend money that you find in my wallet.)
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

karlchen wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:14 am
AZgl1800 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:35 amTarget.Com [...] wants to suck my bank account dry
Instruct Firefox 107.0.1 not to add any credit card details automatically. (Preferences => Privacy & Security)
(Who the heck had this foolish idea of implementing that feature anyway? - No, Foxy, you are not permitted to spend money that you find in my wallet.)
that was just a joke about the sucking bank account dry,
I never allow any Browser to retain, or try to keep financial data..
that is all done with Last Pass only, and that is only to login,
I keep my account info in my head, or secured elsewhere
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
SilenceIsG0lden
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SilenceIsG0lden »

Also no problems here, on 3 different computers in our household (LM 19.3 / LM 21, all cinnamon), all running the latest FF ESR version (102.6.0esr (64-bit)). And I use it almost daily to plan the weekly grocery shopping trip.

Any new add-ons you installed? I have quite a lot running and yet no problems. Maybe install the ESR version and see if you still have problems?
LM 21.1 cinnamon on PC built by myself in 2008
LM 21.3 cinnamon on Macbook Air
Living in Linux Mint land since 2020, after decades on Microsoft (from DOS to Win7).
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

The fix for Firefox randomly freezing is in the upcoming Firefox 108 release which will happen within the next week. I do not know if that fix will help your issue.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, linux.

On <Alt><SysReq>-r-e-i-s-u-b:
linux wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:18 pm karl - i'm guessing those keys to type on keyboard, but i don't see those keys besides Alt - <Alt><SysReq>-r-e-i-s-u-b.
Cf. e.g. here, please: Magic SysRq Key
<Alt><SysReq>reisub is a key sequence, which can be used as a last resort in order to reboot a system, which has become completely unresponsive, without crashing the system by pressing the power button for 5 seconds.
Your press the <Alt> key and keep it pressed all the time. Then you press <SysReq> (same key as the <Print> key). while still holding the <Alt> key pressed you now very slowly type reisub. - (raising elefants is so utterly boring - this is the sentence which helps me remember the key sequence)
The moment you type the final letter b, the machine should reboot, without having crashed, that is the important detail.

On Chromium:
linux wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:18 pm karl part 2 - can u please tell me what chromium is. i thought the people who hated chrome tracking your data created it. but now you say chromium still tracks your stuff. so which one is it
Guess that I caused a misunderstanding by mentioning Chromium and Google Chrome in a single sentence.
Ignore the part about Google Chrome, please. I had only tried to give a reason why I cannot advise on how to do things in Chromium.
Chromium is an open sources browser. I thought you knew so, because did you not mention that you used Chromium?

Regards,
Karl
Lifeline
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

SMG wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:04 amThe fix for Firefox randomly freezing is in the upcoming Firefox 108 release which will happen within the next week.
Great. I had started to be really and seriously worried that another week might pass without any Firefox update. :shock:
Lifeline
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

linux wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:59 pmhi smg - another update...why would i do that. isn't that what got me here in the first place
That update in late June with the bug got everyone here in the first place. You are not someone special with regards to a freeze issue. The fix was finally found and patched and the patched version will be out this upcoming week. I am eagerly waiting for it so I can finally get back to using my Firefox as normal.

If you prefer to keep having problems, then don't update when the patched version comes out.
SilenceIsG0lden
Level 3
Level 3

linux wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:18 pm silence - what is this esr and how do i now if i have it. all i know is i'm running 107.0. why is esr better than non-esr
You can get the ESR (Extended Service Release) here:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/a ... esktop-esr

You may want to get it for the same reasons I did: are you annoyed if and when the Firefox team comes up with "new" features all the time, reshuffles the menus, disables ways to make changes (via about:config) or breaks your addons? Do you wish you would only get functional updates? ESR versions get far fewer of the annoying things and only one major update a year, but by then many of the "improvements" have been undone or their kinks worked out. ESR was meant to be for business use, because sys admins don't want to waste their precious time with support for "new features" that may or may not work and are ultimately not necessary. I've switched a few years back and now I only have to grumbly succumb to a different version once a year.

Actually, think about it as similar to Linux Mint versions: within each version you get (mostly security) updates, but once a new version comes around, there are new features.

If you just want to test it, you can install ESR parallel to your current FF version. Who knows, maybe Target.com will work right out of the box! ;)
Living in Linux Mint land since 2020, after decades on Microsoft (from DOS to Win7).
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

SilenceIsG0lden wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:34 pmYou can get the ESR (Extended Service Release)

Who knows, maybe Target.com will work right out of the box!
The Firefox freeze issue of which I spoke also affects the ESR version. The bug came out in Firefox 102 which is the current ESR version.

The fix for the bug rolls out in the next ESR version which comes out at the same time as Firefox 108 (which also had the fix for the bug). If the issue the OP has relates to the bug's freeze problem then the ESR will not work correctly until the regular version does.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

linux wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:10 pmso i have to ask the most obvious question - the people who had the bug, did they live with it or did they go back to the previous good version hey had
I went back to a previous version and used it. I suffered for a while with ones not working. I used the nightly and beta builds when the fix was finally created. I'm currently using the Firefox 108 beta build until the final version is released.

You will know when Firefox 108 comes out because it will show up in Update Manager. My guess at this point is it will be Friday, but that is a guess.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I went back to a Previous Version that worked good, and banned the updates, until I read that the issue had been fixed....

mine is now is 107.xxx
SilenceIsG0lden
Level 3
Level 3

SMG wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:46 pm The Firefox freeze issue of which I spoke also affects the ESR version. The bug came out in Firefox 102 which is the current ESR version.
How peculiar; nothing ever froze here on my end, not Tarjay, not anything else. No matter which hardware, all running that ESR version. Guess for once I got lucky. :D

Return to “Software & Applications”