KeePassX will not open

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

KeePassX will not open

Post by jhouse59 »

I've installed KeePassX by the Synaptic Package Manager. I've tried it about two times. Each time my computer hangs up and have to do a hard restart. I've searched the forums. Someone said to update the kernal. I tried that and the program still won't start. Anyone know of anything else to do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Locuust

Re: KeePassX will not open

Post by Locuust »

Odd. I've used keepass on both linux and windows for a long time and have never had any issues with it. Do you get any errors? Anything in the logs? When does it hang? I mean does it open at all or does it crash when you try to create or open a file? Or do you mean to say it locks up on the install?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Same here, I have been using it for years on all sorts of distros and I have never had a moments bother with it.

Try opening it by typing

Code: Select all

keepassx
in a terminal and post any output you get.
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 »

Locuust wrote:Odd. I've used keepass on both linux and windows for a long time and have never had any issues with it. Do you get any errors? Anything in the logs? When does it hang? I mean does it open at all or does it crash when you try to create or open a file? Or do you mean to say it locks up on the install?
I've used it on other versions of Mint, Ubuntu, and Windows XP. This is the first time I've had this problem.
It doesn't open up when I click on the icon in the Menu.
It freezes up when I've tried to reinstall it. Done that about two times. It also done that the first time it was installed too.
viking777 wrote:Same here, I have been using it for years on all sorts of distros and I have never had a moments bother with it.

Try opening it by typing

Code: Select all

keepassx
in a terminal and post any output you get.
This is what I got.
keepassx: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libQtXml.so.4: invalid ELF header
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Go into your package manager and install/reinstall libqt4-xml. Accept any dependencies that this pulls in.
Locuust

Post by Locuust »

Those damned elves. Especially this time of year. :P

yes I know it's the linking header.. but its more fun (or is it scary?) to think of a bunch of virtual elves living in your PC.
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 »

viking777 wrote:Go into your package manager and install/reinstall libqt4-xml. Accept any dependencies that this pulls in.
That didn't work.
Locuust

Post by Locuust »

Well I found a post on another site that was talking about that library being a problem in the past using a version of keepass downloaded directly off of sourceforge. The problem at the time is that libqt4-xml didn't actually contain the .so.4 but a newer version. However looking at my package details for libqt4-xml shows that there are several versions loaded -

/usr/lib/libQtXml.so.4.5.2
/usr/lib/libQtXml.so.4
/usr/lib/libQtXml.so.4.5

Perhaps your missing another dependency?

The easiest way to determine this is by -
ldd /usr/bin/keepassx

Sample output -
linux-vdso.so.1 => (0x00007fffe3fff000)
libXtst.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXtst.so.6 (0x00007f611c32f000)
*deleted long list*

You shouldn't have anything missing. If you do you might just want to uninstall keepass. Then reinstall it and make sure you allow it to mark the dependencies. That's the easiest solution. There is a way you can look for individual libraries by searching against the packages in the repos but you really only need to do that with things that don't come packaged.
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 »

Locuust wrote:The easiest way to determine this is by -
ldd /usr/bin/keepassx.
This is what I got:
/usr/bin/keepassx: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4: invalid ELF header

Well I un-installed it. Then reinstalled it. Still wont open. When I type keepasx in a Terminal. I get :
keepassx: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4: invalid ELF header
Locuust

Post by Locuust »

Really? I didn't think ldd actually attempted to execute the command. I just assumed it checked the bin itself.

Let's try this -
ls -l /usr/lib/libQtGui*

Sample output -
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2009-12-13 20:57 /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4 -> libQtGui.so.4.5.2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2009-12-13 20:57 /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4.5 -> libQtGui.so.4.5.2
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10163432 2009-10-14 15:36 /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4.5.2

You should have something like that top line. It links libQtGui.so.4 to the newer lib. If you don't then run the following (change the version number of the first filename to reflect the version above)-
cd /usr/lib
ln -s ./libQtGui.so.4.5.2 libQtGui.so.4

If that works it boils down to your symbolic link getting hosed. So essentially keepassx was trying to load nothing. Apparently nothing has an invalid elf header. Go figure ;)
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 »

Locuust wrote:Really? I didn't think ldd actually attempted to execute the command. I just assumed it checked the bin itself.

Let's try this -
ls -l /usr/lib/libQtGui*

Sample output -
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2009-12-13 20:57 /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4 -> libQtGui.so.4.5.2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2009-12-13 20:57 /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4.5 -> libQtGui.so.4.5.2
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10163432 2009-10-14 15:36 /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4.5.2

You should have something like that top line. It links libQtGui.so.4 to the newer lib. If you don't then run the following (change the version number of the first filename to reflect the version above)-
cd /usr/lib
ln -s ./libQtGui.so.4.5.2 libQtGui.so.4

If that works it boils down to your symbolic link getting hosed. So essentially keepassx was trying to load nothing. Apparently nothing has an invalid elf header. Go figure ;)
This is what I got when I ran "ls -l /usr/lib/libQtGui*"

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2009-12-11 17:07 /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4 -> libQtGui.so.4.5.2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2009-12-11 17:07 /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4.5 -> libQtGui.so.4.5.2
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10071604 2009-10-14 17:34 /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4.5.2

So I guess that is right. Are you running KeePassX on Mint 8? If so did you install it by the "Synaptic Package Manager"?
Locuust

Post by Locuust »

Yeah Mint 8 64bit. Keepassx 0.4.1-1. Maintainer - Ubuntu Developers.

Works fine.

bah.. I was so tired I missed it the first time.. your error message changed -
This is what I got.
keepassx: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libQtXml.so.4: invalid ELF header
Well I un-installed it. Then reinstalled it. Still wont open. When I type keepasx in a Terminal. I get :
keepassx: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4: invalid ELF header
Without even thinking about it I copied the lib name from your last error when I had you check the symbolic link. The good news is this is progress. Now reinstall the libQtGui4 package. You see where this is going right? reload a package, check the terminal for a new error, rinse and repeat.
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 »

Locuust wrote:...Now reinstall the libQtGui4 package...check the terminal for a new error
I reinstalled libQtGui4 package.
I opened a Terminal and typed "keepassx". This is what I got:
keepassx: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4: invalid ELF header
...rinse and repeat.
What do you mean by this?
You see where this is going right? reload a package,...
I'm sorry I don't understand where this is going. When you say reload a package do you mean to try and open KeePassX?
It still doesn't open.

I installed Mint 8 in VirtualBox. Then I installed KeePassX in it. It opens up in Mint in the VirturalBox. I've got the VirtualBox installed on an Unbuntu 8.4 partition. KeePassX works good also on the Ubuntu partition.
Locuust

Post by Locuust »

Now you need to reload the libQtCore4 library and if you get another error you need to load whatever library it complains about next. That's what I mean by rinse and repeat. Just keep doing this until you have no more errors and it runs. I'm not sure what caused this but by your own testing in a VM.. this is usually not a problem for mint 8. Something happened to your main install. I mean a quicker way to solve this if I know how to backup and restore your data/home directory would be to just reinstall mint 8. Either would work.
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 »

Locuust wrote:Now you need to reload the libQtCore4 library and...
How do I reload the libQtCore4 library?
Locuust

Post by Locuust »

Same as before. Go to the package manager and use the search to find it. Right click on it and select reinstall. Some of the library names may differ slightly from their package names so if you can't find one at first then try searching on just part of the name and then finding it within the resulting list.

If you still can't find one then we can try a command line trick:

First we need to set things up. The next two lines you only do once (if you use apt-file at a later date you'll want to use the second command again to refresh the cache)-
sudo apt-get install apt-file
sudo apt-file update

Now to do the search example -
sudo apt-file search name-of-the-library-you-need

What this will do is look across all the packages available in the repos for the library name you specified. i.e. -
compiz-plugins: usr/lib/compiz/libgconf-dump.so

This says that it found libgconf-dump.so in the package compiz-plugins

If this is what you needed to reinstall you would then run -
sudo apt-get --reinstall install compiz-plugins

Return to “Software & Applications”