Who maintains Software Manager for LM?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Redit2

Who maintains Software Manager for LM?

Post by Redit2 »

I have found several downloads over the months that simply don't work. The latest is both Tor browser packages are dead. There is a workaround for one of them, but really, we're told to use software manager for all our stuff as it helps ensure security of everything and now youtube has help forums for our forum that doesn't work?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Who maintains Software Manager for LM?

Post by mikeflan »

I encourage you to submit a software review. Yeah, I know. They make it hard. But that is what I suggest.

More reading that does not directly answer your main question:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=358266
Redit2

Post by Redit2 »

Thanks. All 4 reviews since Sept 2019 have been bad about it not working so evidently writing a review doesn't help.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Hmmm.
tor1.png
tor2.png
Redit2

Post by Redit2 »

Yeah Hmmm. Now find one of those that actually work without following some youtube video that has you making cli entries and not verifying the digital signature which makes it unsafe. Something that WHEN software manager works will do for you to ensure a good signature.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

Redit2 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:49 am I have found several downloads over the months that simply don't work.
IMHO, it's unlikely this is a defect in Software Manager as such, which is just an interface. The problems you describe sound like repo issues.

Have you tried installing the same apps by alternate means, e.g., Synaptic or Terminal?
yeehawwww
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yeehawwww »

Some software simply shouldn't be downloaded from the repository or flatpak. Download Tor from the official site.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Mint is Ubuntu based (except for LMDE) and almost all software not specific to Mint comes from the Ubuntu repos.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Redit2

Post by Redit2 »

linux-rox wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:00 am Have you tried installing the same apps by alternate means, e.g., Synaptic or Terminal?
No and there's really not an instruction manual that details all this stuff. I wish there was. I had been told that software manager was the preferred and most secure way to download programs and to do otherwise only invites trouble. I prefer GUI if at all possible and am mildly familiar with Synaptic, but not much. Is that just as safe and how to do it? Thanks.

Just tried downloading Tor via Synaptic and got the same error.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

Redit2 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:25 pm I had been told that software manager was the preferred and most secure way to download programs and to do otherwise only invites trouble.
Software Manager is a front-end or wrapper for Synaptic, so there's no security difference between them. Some people find SM easier; I've always found Synaptic more intuitive. An important difference is that SM handles Flatpak, where Synaptic doesn't.
I prefer GUI if at all possible and am mildly familiar with Synaptic, but not much. Is that just as safe and how to do it? Thanks.
Yes, it's safe. I gather you have since figured out how it works.
Just tried downloading Tor via Synaptic and got the same error.
So, my hunch is confirmed. Whatever the problem, it isn't Software Manager. FWIW, I have no difficulty installing Tor in a Cinn 21.1 virtual machine.

You probably should open a thread about each of your problem apps. Or start with one and see whether its solution is generalizable. And, while I understand your preference for GUI, troubleshooting is easier if you use apt, as its error messages are easier to copy and post to the Forum. For example, to install Tor, you would use apt install tor. All lower case; sudo not needed in Mint, though you will prompted for your sudo password.
Redit2

Post by Redit2 »

A topic here "Launching Tor Browser gives Download Error 404" is exactly the issue I'm having. You said you didn't have the issue, did you try recently? The link worked for me months ago but no longer does. The solution to the above topic is CLI instructions and doesn't validate the digital signature which makes it worthless to me. I think your apt install wont work for me as it will be a CLI and not GUI program for me and also won't verify the digital signature. The comments on many of the software management programs talk about how they don't work. I assume some programs are not maintained as url links on some go nowhere like they don't exist, hence my question of who maintains these and so far it looks like no one. They are there and just eventually die a natural death unless they are very popular.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

Redit2 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:45 am ... did you try recently?
Approximately ten minutes before I posted, in a VM snapshot, and only for the purpose of testing the repo. Worked in both Synaptic and apt.

What you do from here is your decision. Good luck.
Redit2

Post by Redit2 »

2 good sites actually addressing the issue thanks.
A topic here "Launching Tor Browser gives Download Error 404" shows it's not isolated and the fix is not secure. Maybe the links will be fixed soon and it will be available.
How the download could be available and signature verify seems more than odd, but maybe its just yet another mystery of the Linux journey.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

Redit2 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:27 pm 2 good sites actually addressing the issue thanks.
This is why I suggested you open a new thread. You have moved the goal posts.

To confirm what I claimed earlier (and all I claimed), I had no trouble installing these packages:

Code: Select all

user@vbox-cinn-21-1:~$ apt list --installed tor*
Listing... Done
tor-geoipdb/jammy,jammy,now 0.4.6.10-1 all [installed,automatic]
tor/jammy,now 0.4.6.10-1 amd64 [installed]
torbrowser-launcher/jammy-updates,now 0.3.3-6ubuntu1.22.04.1 amd64 [installed]
torsocks/jammy,now 2.3.0-3 amd64 [installed,automatic]
Haven't tried to launch Tor (which I don't use). That wasn't the topic of this thread.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

Out of curiosity, took a look to see how difficult it would be to solve the Tor problem.
The simple solution is to download and extract the tarball on their website.
Tor-Browser.png
Tarballs don't get updates, though. For those, add Tor's Debian repository.
Tor specifically recommends this instead of the Ubuntu packages.

Return to “Software & Applications”