[SOLVED] Mint and browsers constantly crashing / freezing

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gsparky2004
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Mint and browsers constantly crashing / freezing

Post by Gsparky2004 »

This is probably not normal, but I both had a problem with Mint, and then figured out the solution. I figured I'd post it here in case others have a similar issue.
I've been using Mint now for several years (6 - 7-ish). When I do an upgrade to the newest version, I delete the OS, but keep all of the "home" files intact. That appears to have created a slowly-growing problem. With the latest release, all of my browsers crashed constantly. After perusing a few Google pages, I figured that the profiles for each browser had old settings / code that the new releases did not like. I decided just to delete the profiles in all of them (Chrome, Firefox, Brave), and start from scratch (with only my bookmarks being backed up and imported once the profile was deleted). The same thing went with "Lucky Backup". I deleted all of its profiles and started those over, as well.
That's fixed the problem. I've now done everything I can to get any of the browsers to crash, either completely or just have a tab / webpage crash. They work fine. Mint has now been running crash-free for several days.
So, if you're having constant browser issues and the profile is old(er), consider exporting your bookmarks and password file (Google that!), deleting the profile, and starting with a fresh one.
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon controlling an Intel i9-13900 with MSI Z790 mobo, 128 GB of RAM and MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 4060 16GB video card.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: [SOLVED] Mint and browsers constantly crashing / freezing

Post by spamegg »

When I do an upgrade to the newest version, I delete the OS, but keep all of the "home" files intact.
Yep this is an issue, I wish people would stop doing this...
Gsparky2004
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Gsparky2004 »

I wish people would stop doing this...
I've now made a list of files to remove from my home folder. It consists of the following:
  • .cache
  • .config
  • .dbus
  • .linuxmint
  • .local
  • .themes
  • .thumb
  • .thumbnails
If you have any others that you recommend, please let me know!
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon controlling an Intel i9-13900 with MSI Z790 mobo, 128 GB of RAM and MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 4060 16GB video card.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I've now made a list of files to remove from my home folder.
I'm thinking it might be better to make a list of directories and files to copy over to the new install.
xujiayu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xujiayu »

Sharing my experience. I had the problem with Chrome crashing, not Linux Mint.

I had Linux Mint 21 and one day my Chrome kept freezing whenever I started the browser (I had to wait for more than a minute). I think the day before, I did an update, and as usual I never keep track what particular updates were.

So I cleared the browser history, the bookmarks, and all the open tabs. Nothing worked. And lastly I cleared all the Chrome profiles (I had 3 profiles) and one profile had multiple Gmail accounts added. Basically I separated my profile as "personal", "work 1", "work 2" profiles. And this works!

Everything is great now. I guess I did install Chrome update and the latest updates were somehow not backward compatible.

Return to “Software & Applications”