MS Office in Linux

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: MS Office in Linux

Post by Pierre »

Yeah .. the older version's of MS-Office to seem to work somewhat better.
:)

the ./wine community is working on the suitability of those later versions of MS-Office,
as you would expect them to be doing.

NB: Wine 8.0 should be released by now, too.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
James419
Level 1
Level 1

Post by James419 »

Wine 8.0 was pushed for 20.3 .. 2 weeks ago. Updated from 7 with no problems.
elmarts
Level 4
Level 4

Post by elmarts »

I just saw that I have wine 8.0, and tried to install MSOffice into it. It seemed to work fine. Excel appears to work, as does Powerpoint and Word. Front page exits with no error messages. But Access throws missing dll errors (to date msmstr10.dll and msjet40.dll). Ideas how to proceed?
- Elmar
Dual boot win 10 & Linux Mint
Release Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia 64-bit
Kernel Linux 5.15.0-91-generic x86_64
MATE 1.26.0
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

bin wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:09 am Softmaker Office is the answer. https://www.softmaker.com/en/softmaker-office
I've had a look and have to say, as a +30 year user of word/excel, I'm impressed. A familiar interface, things are where I expect. Not averse to shelling out for decent software, I'll probably get it as a native alternative to word/excel2013 in crossover and office2016 in a VM. Thank you bin.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi OldgoodSheo,

I just read your post and some of the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your document requirements. You mention legal documents which normally do not have or use advanced formatting features. What issues with your use of legal documents does not work with other office suites like LibreOffice? Are you creating these documents or editing them, or both?

You and some others mentioned that you cannot use Microsoft Office Online (MS Office 365), but you did not explain why? You obviously have Internet access to use this forum. I don't like using online office suites much either compared to those installed locally, but they do work well.

Although you can continue to dual-boot Linux and MS Windows, it is not necessary if all you need MS Windows for is using MS Office.

Like others, I do not recommend installing and using Wine even though it is a cool system it does have some drawbacks.

Installing a Virtual Machine with a version of MS Windows in that VM would definitely work if your computer has enough memory and hardware resources. It can take a while to install and set up and configure a Virtual Machine with MS Windows. I think there are quicker and easier solutions, see below.

There are a few free and "paid for" MS Office compatible suites that work In Linux. LibreOffice is an excellent free office suite in my humble opinion. I highly recommend installing their most current version using their PPA. However, in my personal experience, LO does not always perfectly translate (import or Open) complex MS Office documents or other MS Office files. When I use LibreOffice to create office documents or files, It has always been able to save them in MS Office formats (ie: docx, doc, etc...) or in PDF files perfectly.

FYI: I always have the most current LibreOffice installed. Example: Recently I have been working on a local website and they use a lot of documents from MS Word or PDF. I am using only PDF documents on the website, so all documents have to be converted to PDF files. One recent newsletter was done in the current MS Word and saved as .docx file with a simple yellow color text box that was rotated for effect which LibreOffice did not import or open correctly yet all the other features including the embedded spreadsheet worked fine?

So, I decided to try my free online Google Office Apps (now Google Suite) and Google Docs had no problem at all importing (opening or translating) and using any MS Office documents. The free Calligra Office suite that is available in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) was also able to correctly process this MS Office document.

6 Best Office Suites for Linux in 2023 - Linux Stans
https://linuxstans.com/best-office-suites-for-linux/

Top 5 Best MS Office Alternatives for Linux in 2020
https://linuxhint.com/best_ms_office_al ... ves_linux/

SoftMaker Office is considered a great product, but it is not free.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

elmarts wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:17 pm I just saw that I have wine 8.0, and tried to install MSOffice into it. It seemed to work fine. Excel appears to work, as does Powerpoint and Word. Front page exits with no error messages. But Access throws missing dll errors (to date msmstr10.dll and msjet40.dll). Ideas how to proceed?
I had a conversation with CodeWeavers after I bought their wine package, and ACCESS will never, ever, work in Linux....

that was a conversation from 2 years ago.
I am done with trying to make MS Office work in Linux, done done done...
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Software & Applications”