RedShift on Linux Mint 21.1 XFCE Not Working.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

RedShift on Linux Mint 21.1 XFCE Not Working.

Post by gregoryshock »

Computer monitors causes me eye strain. About 4 or 5 years ago I heard of a program called RedShift. I decided to install it and try it out. To my surprise, it really helped me with my eye strain. Now I always install it. I like it because whenever I'm working on editing pictures, I can simply turn it off. But ever since I started using Linux Mint 21.1 XFCE, RedShift gives me this error message. I did a lot of google searching but I haven't been able to find me a solution for this problem.
RedShift.png
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: RedShift on Linux Mint 21.1 XFCE Not Working.

Post by Pjotr »

It's present by default in Mint, has been so for years.... No need to install it. And it always works fine, in my experience. Try if it helps when you disable its Automatic feature.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

Pjotr wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:09 pm It's present by default in Mint, has been so for years.... No need to install it. And it always works fine, in my experience. Try if it helps when you disable its Automatic feature.
For me it isn't working correctly on Linux Mint 21.1 XFCE. It did work correctly on Linux Mint 20.3.

I don't know how to disable the "Automatic" feature. This is the first time in 5 years I have had this problem.
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

I may need to buy something like this, because I don't currently think Redshift is going to work anymore.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Blocki ... r=8-4&th=1
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

I'm trying to read this stuff.

https://github.com/jonls/redshift#faq
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

While I don't know what I'm doing... I created .config/redshift.conf and put in the sample.

https://github.com/jonls/redshift/blob/ ... onf.sample

Redshift seems to be working now. But I don't know how to figure out the correct settings for redshift.conf
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

What you've done in that redshift.conf file is exactly what Pjotr suggested above, ie stopped using the automatic location detection and set it manually.
Look for all the lines in that file that do not start with a # and you will see that you have manual location detection and it is now set using the latitude and longitude show in two lines.

If you wish to you can also adjust the colour temp and gamma levels by manually editing those lines as well, making sure to remove any # at the start of a line you want to be used.

Return to “Software & Applications”