each start of chromium takes 34 seconds

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jeff97
Level 1
Level 1

each start of chromium takes 34 seconds

Post by jeff97 »

Hi,
today I upgraded from LM 21 to 21.1, DE is Cinnamon.

Then I installed chromium via software manager (which had not been installed previously) from main mint repository, not flathub. It's version 109.something (current).

Now I realize that every start of chromium takes pretty much 34 seconds - always. Adding a new window to a running instance happens instantly (duration of a window animation). It's definitely not only the first time after booting, but every time!

When I start firefox, it only takes a second to start the whole application.

Any idea what I could try? It may sound like some sort of timeout, but what exactly?

Thanks
Jeff
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Re: each start of chromium takes 34 seconds

Post by Petermint »

It sounds like Chromium is copying your home directory to a server in Russia. :twisted:

You could start System Monitor and watch activity while Chromium starts. You could open a terminal immediately after Chromium starts then use command dmesg to find errors. Some applications show extra errors if started from the command line instead of the menu. Chromium might have error logs.

Some browsers start with an error and default to sending an error report back to their lair. You could check the settings for automated reports or switch off network access before stating the Web browser.

A complete uninstall and reinstall might fix it if there was a hidden error during the original restore. I would use Synaptic and select complete removal.
jeff97
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jeff97 »

Hi, thanks, however this did not reveal anything:

* htop indicates 100% load in a single core for a second or two every now and then, every time another core - not sure, if it's chromium or another process though
* no output of `chromium` in terminal
* no output in .xsession-errors
* complete uninstall, remove chromium from apt cache, reinstall, remove data directory and cache - no change

I also did an strace, but nothing stands out in the log.

Edit: I now tried Google Chrome from https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chrome/ - it behaves the same.

Edit2: As it seems, it works fine with `chromium --disable-gpu --disable-software-rasterizer` or `google-chrome -disable-gpu --disable-software-rasterizer`, respectively. But it doesn't sound like a real solution :-(
Beside, how could I apply this workaround permanently?
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

jeff97
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jeff97 »

Found another "fix": force intel profile (`prime-select intel`) or remove nvidia driver (currently nvidia-driver-525-open) alltogether.

Both chromium and chrome start in about 2s now. That's bearable.

Although I wonder why this problem seems to be rather uncommon (I could not find similar reports).
jeff97
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jeff97 »

mikeflan wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:22 pm Please try this and report back:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/911877/ ... me-to-load
Yes, thanks! gnome-keyring-daemon is running though.

Return to “Software & Applications”