Timeshift prevents shutdown and wakeup after suspend

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
VeryGoodDog
Level 1
Level 1

Timeshift prevents shutdown and wakeup after suspend

Post by VeryGoodDog »

My computer has been failing to shut down and wake up due to Timeshift. I know it's TS because the comp starts up fine when the HDD is NOT clicking, and TS is the only thing that uses it. Also, when I shut down the comp, it gets stuck waiting for sd-sync to finish.

TS says it's v22.06.5
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Timeshift prevents shutdown and wakeup after suspend

Post by Pjotr »

Adapt the schedule of Timeshift. Better yet: disable automatic snapshots altogether.

Nobody needs to have more than two snapshots for repairing a broken system. No matter how old the snapshot is: simply run Update Manager after the restoration, and your system will be up to date in almost no time at all.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
VeryGoodDog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VeryGoodDog »

Just turning Timeshift off is not really a "solution."
"My lightbulb is flickering, how do I fix it?"
"Turn it off and use a flashlight, nobody needs that much light anyway."
How can I still have automatic backups that don't interfere with the system?
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Suit yourself. Good luck. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

It is my understanding that a HDD drive that clicks is about to, or has already, failed. So the fault may not be Timeshift but your equipment.
Cliff Coggin
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

VeryGoodDog wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:06 pm My computer has been failing to shut down and wake up due to Timeshift.
How does Timeshift cause a system to "fail to wake up"? If the system is sleeping there is nothing running so Timeshift can not be interfering with waking up because it is not running.

I agree with cliffcoggin. This sounds like an issue with that hard drive.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Post by mikeflan »

How can I still have automatic backups that don't interfere with the system?
I record Timeshift snapshots to a SSD and I very rarely ever know when TS is running. Very rarely meaning maybe 3 times a year.
VeryGoodDog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VeryGoodDog »

cliffcoggin wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:44 pm It is my understanding that a HDD drive that clicks is about to, or has already, failed. So the fault may not be Timeshift but your equipment.
Ok, wrong wording, sorry. I meant clicking in that I can hear it seeking the read head.
SMG wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:25 pm How does Timeshift cause a system to "fail to wake up"? If the system is sleeping there is nothing running so Timeshift can not be interfering with waking up because it is not running.
I don't know, if I knew I wouldn't be here would I :? but when it happens it's when the comp has been sitting for a while and gone into sleep mode. I try to wake it up and nothing happens, when the HDD isn't in use the comp wakes up fine.

It might be the HDD but I would like to try a software solution before I have to mess with the drive.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

VeryGoodDog wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:10 pmI don't know, if I knew I wouldn't be here would I :? but when it happens it's when the comp has been sitting for a while and gone into sleep mode. I try to wake it up and nothing happens, when the HDD isn't in use the comp wakes up fine.
Please open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click Copy, and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware.

Please also tell us how often you have Timeshift running.
VeryGoodDog wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:10 pmIt might be the HDD but I would like to try a software solution before I have to mess with the drive.
You have to have a theory of what is happening in order to try a software solution. Otherwise, there is nothing to try. If you think Timeshift is the problem, then you have to run it manually to prove it is or is not the problem. That is the logical thing to do, but you dismissed that suggestion.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
VeryGoodDog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VeryGoodDog »

Alright, I changed the schedule so that TS only makes backups once a day, this means that it's much less likely to happen at the same time. Further, the computer does properly shut down after TS stops running. I don't know how to fix the comp not waking up but I haven't had an issue with it since I changed the schedule.

Return to “Software & Applications”