System-wide graphics format support

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pixel
Level 1
Level 1

System-wide graphics format support

Post by pixel »

Hello,

it is a small but annoying problem and I don't know if it's more system-related than software-related.

I would like to test and use JPEG-XL for file storage and archiving. Although software packages such as Gimp, Krita or Digikam are already able to deal with the new format. However, others are still not able to do it because they rely on other external programs.

Example Digikam, I use the current version 3.9 not installed as an image app but via a repository. QT is actually installed with LinuxMint in a version that should contain a plugin for JPEG-XL. Other software, such as Converseen trusts for converting in Imagemagick. From version 7.x of Imagemagick, the file format should also be supported. But in Mint 21.1 you can only get an older 6.x version for installation. The en- and decoders for JPEG-XL of the Joint Photographic Experts Group can also only be found in some recent versions via a foreign repos.

I am not a programmer and not a console junkie, I hope I could describe the problems and make them understandable.

Is there a solution under LinuxMint 21.1 or maybe someone can answer how to make QT a system-wide deployment or add the corresponding plug-in. Is there a Mint-tolerated repository that I come across for a certain need for more up-to-date software?

Thanks for answers and maybe solutions :-) Also note that I don't want to miss LM, it's a really pleasant and great Linux distribution!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: System-wide graphics format support

Post by xenopeek »

I don't know what future JPEG-XL has; after initially adding it to Chrome/Chromium, Google have stripped out the support for JPEG-XL from these web browsers (and all those based on Chromium) late last year. Chrome/Chromium has the largest, by far, market share of web browser so probably sets the direction for what web developers will support — and thus what support they expect from the tools they use and the people they work with.

I don't want to a doomcaster :) And anyway you can losslessly convert a JPEG file to JPEG-XL and back again (with cjxl / djxl commands) so there should be little risk with going JPEG-XL, you can go back to regular JPEG if it doesn't pan out in the future.

As for Digikam, QT or ImageMagick — that's complex. You could search if there is a PPA for QT or ImageMagick that you can use. Anything compatible with Ubuntu 22.04 will work. I don't readily know of such. I think for ImageMagick you'll be stuck with having to compile it from source if you want a newer version.

For Digikam you could try the flatpak install from Flathub. It is also available through Software Manager or run command flatpak install flathub org.kde.digikam. If this is the first flatpak you'll install the download will be large because it also needs to install QT and other flatpak runtimes it needs. The benefit may be it has the plugin you need. Currently it has Digikam 7.9 on Flathub.
pixel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pixel »

xenopeek wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:46 am I don't know what future JPEG-XL has
Hi.

thank you for your response. Yes, the two browser manufacturers have just rejected the format, not only i think it's strategic motivated. But JPEG-XL is not only a browser fileformat, but with its diverse technical features excellent for photographers and image archiving (and more, like serverside use). Large players like Adobe or Facebook could not understand the decision. And they play a major role in equally important areas. But in the end, you'll have to wait to see how this evolves.

I'm not a big fan of flatpak, but I'll take your tip and description for a test. Maybe I can "reinstall" missing components in this way. Thank you.

QT is already part of the LM installation (5.15), the installed Digikam was compiled against 5.13. Now I had just assumed the system-side installation was complete and the software could use it. It is also true that the Community's own resources are limited ;-)

Then I'll deal with your proposal and look further on for a solution :-)
pixel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pixel »

xenopeek wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:46 amFor Digikam you could try the flatpak install from Flathub.
OK, I've tried the flatpak solution. However, it does not seem particularly practical for me, as the installed data appears to be accessible only for programs installed via Flatpak. According to my understanding, this means that a fused parallel system is installed. Contrary to the original idea of Linux and fills the harddisk.
Digikam has not already found existing configuration data as well as an existing image database. The setting dialogue appeared, as at the first start. Thanks to Timeshift, this trip quickly belonged to the past.

So my scepticism towards flatpak has more encouraged ;-) For further attempts, however, I will first set up a virtual LinuxMint machine :-)

Return to “Software & Applications”