No audio in video editor

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ws1o
Level 1
Level 1

No audio in video editor

Post by ws1o »

I am running Linux Mint Vera and I have been trying to edit a simple video clip plus an audio file. I can add/import the video and audio files to a project, and drag them to the timeline, but I get no audio output. I've tried Kden, Olive, Pitivi, Shotcut, etc. Nothing. I looked at preferences and try to set the audio output devices...nothing. I can record and play audio in Audacity fine, and I hear my audio from YouTube, Spotify, etc. And I can record from my JLab USB mike.

In Kden I can at least hear the audio when I preview it, but no audio comes out when i render it to a video file.

Why does this have to be so hard? :cry:
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ws1o
Level 1
Level 1

Re: No audio in video editor [SOLVED] (kinda)

Post by ws1o »

OK, turns out this problem was not what I thought it was.

I was trying to play back rendered video files using various video players (VLC, Shotcut, Celluloid, etc), and hearing no audio. I found a posting somewhere that said sometime the VLS player has an incorrect setting that causes it to not play audio in videos. I opened a couple of videos I had received from other sources and sure enough, no audio. So I made a change int he VLC settings and now those videos...and mine...did play their audio.

So the lesson learned is that certain video players may not by default be properly configured to play sound on your system. I made the mistake of assuming that after successfully rendering an MP4 or MPG or WMF video it should simply play correctly, and it didn't.

And by the way, I've never had any trouble with audio from Audacity, Spotify, Pandora, YouTube, etc, so my computer does support usual audio playback and one would expect.

Return to “Software & Applications”