Mint Menu causes zombie processes??

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rfurgy

Mint Menu causes zombie processes??

Post by rfurgy »

I seem to be witnessing a zombie process that keeps showing up.
I've been watching for them because it was recommended by someone in the Folding@Home forum to make sure there aren't any zombie processes during a specific stage of folding. From what I was told, the fah6 client (folding@home) could make a zombie process if the client wasn't terminated properly. Which, if present during a specific stage of the folding process, could then become active and cause an error which dumps the entire completed work unit.

Anyway, so I noticed a zombie process while running Top in Terminal. I did some research and found a script that is suppose to shut down the parent process then wake it back up in order to remove the zombie process. It seems to work because running the script will kill the zombie but the process keeps coming back. When I run the script, the program that shuts down and turns on is Mint Menu.

Is it normal for Mint Menu to cause zombie processes?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Mint Menu causes zombie processes??

Post by Husse »

To be honest I've never seen a report about this before
Searching the forum for zombie+mintmenu finds two topics where a process started by mintMenu becomes zombie but none where mintMenu itself becomes zombie
Zombies are not that much of a problem especially if the zombie process has N/A associated with it
rfurgy

Post by rfurgy »

Thanks for the reply.

I just thought it to be strange.
rfurgy

Post by rfurgy »

LoL, just had a whacked out idea. This talk of zombies makes me think of Zombieland. :lol:

Although harmless in terms of processes, what if someone turned it into a game where you would kill the zombies which would also terminate zombie processes. LOL, like I said, it's a whacked out thought.

Return to “Software & Applications”