Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Ruud Van Ijs
Level 1
Level 1

Running Windows programs without CD

Post by Ruud Van Ijs »

Hi Guys, just newly installed Helena, and I must admit it's superb.

My question is, is it possible to run Windows software that normally requires the CD-ROM to be in the drive, without the CD-ROM using wine?

The software in question is Dance eJay 4, Hip Hop eJay 1 and Techno eJay 3.

Many thanks

RvI

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Running Windows programs without CD

Post by richyrich »

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

Have you looked at Mixxx ? Will this work for you ? It is already available to install from the Package Manager ! :)

Info : http://www.mixxx.org/

Heed the warning on their website : Don't download the newer version 1.72 from their website (for Ubuntu), as there is a regression. :(

Ruud Van Ijs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ruud Van Ijs »

Mixx looks good, but it looks a bit beyond my skills! It would be good if there was something like eJay or Garageband with ready made samples.

I can get eJay running but because I'm running it off the cd its a bit unstable, I know you get 'virtual drive' software for Windows, I was just wondering how this could be achieved using wine.
I have a 1st generation Intel Mac.

beefstu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by beefstu »

Well I don't use wine but if you copy the CD as an ISO, you can mount it in Mint by right-clicking it and selecting archive mounter. I'm not too sure how you tell Mint to use that though, hopefully it will be quite simple.
Please go through the steps here when posting a question. Once your question has been resolved, edit the original question post and add [Solved] to the subject. Both of these will help others use the forum effectively.

RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RedWagon »

Put your CD in the drive and copy everything to a folder. (Ex. ~/Downloads/eJay_CD/)
Run

Code: Select all

winecfg
go to the drives tab, click Add, select a random drive letter, click OK, click browse, find the folder you dropped the CD files into then click OK. Click Show Advanced and then set type to CDROM.
This will make Wine see that folder as a CDROM, however the Windows program might not recognize the drive if it's a different drive letter than the one used to install the program. I don't know why this is, it's just another one of those stupid Windows things (and yet another reason why I'm using Linux) so your best bet will probably be to reinstall the program using your newly created virtual CDROM.

Ruud Van Ijs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ruud Van Ijs »

I've tried your advice, but when I tray to start the setup.exe file it comes up with a popup saying:

Bad file structure. Please start the program from the original CD ROM.

Any ideas? :cry:

RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RedWagon »

Not sure if this will help, but you can try running your program from an actual .iso. Open any CD copying program and copy your CD to an .iso image. Create a new folder that you want the CD to be in (Ex. ~/Downloads/eJay_CDx2/) and then mount the .iso with this command:

Code: Select all

sudo mount -o loop ~/Downloads/eJay.iso ~/Downloads/eJay_CDx2/
Then go back to the drives tab in winecfg and re-add it like in my earlier post.

kat22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kat22 »

you can also use 'gISOmount' program available in the software repositories... very intuitive interface...

another option to run very specific programs in CD not compatible with wine
use Virtual box... make a virtual machine running WinXP or earlier windows OS(licensed copy)...
burn iso image of your CD...
mount the CD image on the virtualbox... this way you can have 100s of images limited only by your harddisk space
you carry all your CDs in a external portable harddisk.. and keep mounting them when you need
addl advantage:your CDs dont get scratched this way :wink:

Return to “Software & Applications”