Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
thorx89
Level 1
Level 1

The "Mark all upgrades" button in Synaptic

Post by thorx89 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:47 am

Hi.
I was wondering> Is there anyway to get that button back?

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Re: The "Mark all upgrades" button in Synaptic

Post by proxima_centauri » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:55 am

No, there is no easy way. I spoke with clem about this and the rationale behind it is:
It is considered risky to upgrade all packages and only recommended to for people who can fix APT issues. These people shouldn't have any problem using the command line -

Code: Select all

apt update && apt upgrade
Alternatively you could just enable all update levels in mintUpdate to have the same update effect as original Synaptic.

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:26 pm

thorx89 wrote:Is there anyway to get that button back
If you search the forums, you should find a post I made some time back stating how to do this, but as proxima says it is not recommended to do this and if you make the changes they will be overwritten by updates at some point.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:34 pm

remoulder wrote:
thorx89 wrote:Is there anyway to get that button back
If you search the forums, you should find a post I made some time back stating how to do this, but as proxima says it is not recommended to do this and if you make the changes they will be overwritten by updates at some point.
remoulder, I am not sure if you actually explained how to do it. I found this thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... es#p216971

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:13 pm

MALsPa wrote:I am not sure if you actually explained how to do it
I seem to recall there was another earlier post but if you can't find it and really want to do this, PM me.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:06 pm

proxima_centauri wrote:It is considered risky to upgrade all packages
We sometimes read that one of the things you should do to keep your Linux system secure is to keep your system up-to-date (http://www.techradar.com/news/computing ... ?artc_pg=2). But in Mint (and Ubuntu), doing so is considered "risky," so we have things like mintUpdate's "levels," and we have the "Mark All Upgrades" button and option removed from Synaptic to protect a few people.

With Ubuntu and Mint, I don't do all the upgrades. Why take a chance on breaking something?

With Debian Stable and Mepis, though, I rarely hesitate to bring in all the upgrades.

Hm.

Maybe the folks who want to see Mint change to a Debian base are right.

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Post by proxima_centauri » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:33 pm

MALsPa wrote:We sometimes read that one of the things you should do to keep your Linux system secure is to keep your system up-to-date (http://www.techradar.com/news/computing ... ?artc_pg=2). But in Mint (and Ubuntu), doing so is considered "risky," so we have things like mintUpdate's "levels," and we have the "Mark All Upgrades" button and option removed from Synaptic to protect a few people.
I'm pretty positive Ubuntu advocates to keep the system up-to-date, with no reservations.
Linux Mint, by default, keeps certain updates blacklisted like new kernel versions, xorg changes, etc.

Typically, one can install a new kernel version safely - no issues (Ubuntu or Mint); but in the case of a rare regression - a user may be unaware of how to resolve the problem. Linux Mint aims to protect the user by making sure he or she has to explicitly choose to upgrade critical-packages of the distro.

Return to “Software & Applications”