Qt4 and files installed, Hello World kaboom.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
justyellowboy
Level 1
Level 1

Qt4 and files installed, Hello World kaboom.

Postby justyellowboy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:46 pm

Step-by-step instructions on what I did;
Prereq1) Install Mint: SUCCESS!
Prereq2) Install Geany, Qt4 library files, and G++ Compiler through Synaptic: SUCCESS, BABY! (Why does the latter not come pre-installed with Mint?)
Prereq3) Check out the super cool Qt Hello World tutorial: SUCCESS!
Prereq4) Open Geany and make a .cpp file with the Hello-World example: SUCCESS!

I'm ready to make this thing! Before I compile, I'll check that the files are there!
  • /usr/include/qt4/QtGui/QApplication (and its .h twin) IT'S THERE, YO!
  • /usr/include/qt4/QtGui/QLabel (and its .h twin) IT'S THERE, YO!
  • I assume the rest of the includes are there, and I checked them.

I assume this should be very easy.

"Error on that line that says #include <QApplication>: No such file/directory"

Why do I have to be specific about this?! Well, how about...

#include <usr/include/qt4/QtGui/QApplication>

"I liek this but...
Compile Error: QtGui/QtCore/qcoreapplication.h: No such file or directory."

:| What.

Is there some sort of misunderstanding in how the headers were developed?
Am I going to have to go back and work with each one?

EDIT: Not that I really should have to, but I gave it a shot. I don't want to do anything as root, these things should work together like they should. IT INFURIATES ME I MUST SHOUT AT THE SKY ABOUT THIS PROBLEM AAAA I MUST INSTALL MORE PACKAGES EVEN THOUGH THAT'S A BAD IDEA AND ONE I'D RATHER NOT DO

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Qt4 and files installed, Hello World kaboom.

Postby vincent » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:47 pm

Hmmm...just a side question, is there any reason you can't use a shell script? Or even write up a piece of C/C++ code and running that instead? I don't see why you need Qt4 to run a "Hello world" type of program, and if you actually want to write Qt4 programs and full-fledged applications and the like, you'd do better to work with an IDE, e.g. Code::Blocks or Netbeans.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

justyellowboy
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Qt4 and files installed, Hello World kaboom.

Postby justyellowboy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:44 pm

vincent wrote:Hmmm...just a side question, is there any reason you can't use a shell script? Or even write up a piece of C/C++ code and running that instead? I don't see why you need Qt4 to run a "Hello world" type of program, and if you actually want to write Qt4 programs and full-fledged applications and the like, you'd do better to work with an IDE, e.g. Code::Blocks or Netbeans.

You could say some aspects of Qt have "felt right" to the extent that designing user interfaces is really easy and the only part I need to do after that is link them together. Qt is very cross-platform, and its idea of "one source different interpreters" is rather appealing to me. It's supposed to be software that actually helps you get the job done, not just provide a means of producing it. Well, it's supposed to, anyway.

I have proper books and tutorials to help me get better, it's very obvious that I'm doing nothing special with a Hello World program, but it should be made clear that it's a start for teaching myself how to work with something I admire.

Return to “Software & Applications”