Where's the envelope from Lucid? <SOLVED>

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AndyP79

Where's the envelope from Lucid? <SOLVED>

Post by AndyP79 »

Hi Ya'll,
Just installed Mint 9. So far so good. Much better install experience then 8, so much smoother. Anyway.....Where is the little envelope icon for the chat/social things that is in Ubuntu Lucid? If I install Empathy will it be there? I got used to using it while using Lucid for while, and well, got used to Empathy also. I like the integration and kinda all in one spot that it gave me. Has it been taken out completley in Mint? Hope not.

Thanks Clem for the great working release also. This is by far the smoothest intall I ever had, first time was a charm.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GhoS

Re: Where's the envelope from Lucid?

Post by GhoS »

I could be wrong but I don't believe that is included with Mint (nor the Ubuntu One store). There may be licensing issues there.
Regardless its fairly easy to add something nearly the same using Gwibber. That is the program Lucid has based the social networking integration on.
AndyP79

Post by AndyP79 »

yea, gwibber is okay. It lets you look at facespace items real quick without having to open the page, but the other part was kick ass. I am going to have to figure this one out, I need it, I want it, I gotta have it....arrrggggg......huuuuuuuu...... back at it
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

I'm sure you could just install this from the Ubuntu repo? :?
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

if you want to use the ubuntuone features, you need to install it first from synaptic, just open it and search for keywords "ubuntu one".. for the little envelope icon thing, my suggestions is to install the indicator applet complete also from synaptic, just search that word in synaptic, and add it to your panel by right clicking the panel --
> add to panel --> indicator applet complete.
but bear in mind that there's one annoying bug inherited from lucid where you cant launch gwibber, ubuntu one if you set your account to auto login or the password-less log in. there's one workaround for that tho..
AndyP79

Post by AndyP79 »

Yea, using Ubuntuone would be nice, but I am talking about the indicator applet that has the envelope, which when clicked, has a menu for email, chat client, and I believe ubuntuone. I added evolution, but it did not seem to add that little icon. It was such a complete system, and some cool work around for other applications have come up.
Clem if you read this can we have that icon back please? Someway we can attach it to thunderbird?
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

AndyP79 wrote:Yea, using Ubuntuone would be nice, but I am talking about the indicator applet that has the envelope, which when clicked, has a menu for email, chat client, and I believe ubuntuone. I added evolution, but it did not seem to add that little icon.
i've told you
feed3 wrote:for the little envelope icon thing, my suggestions is to install the indicator applet complete also from synaptic
please read carefully what the others said.. if you can't understand, i could provide you the screenshot, just say it so.. good luck btw.. cheers.. :)
AndyP79

Post by AndyP79 »

Oh crikey! I totally lost you on that one. I was reading it as just adding it from the ad to panel menu, not that there was a whole seperate application in synaptic. So I installed it, and strangly, it adds both pieces together, instead of like in Lucid, where the power and memenu are speperate from the indicators. But it works, so fair enoguh.
Sorry bout the mis-interpretation on my end, thanks for the information, I am on my way to making my desktop quite functional........now about that one thing, yea, the one like that, how do I make it work....LMAO!

Thanks again

Return to “Software & Applications”