Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
LinuxGJE
Level 1
Level 1

How does a noobie install Sigil (ebook program) onto Mint 8

Post by LinuxGJE »

Hello. I'm looking for easy-to-understand (even for a noob, like me, can understand and follow) directions on how to install the Sigil program. Sigil is an eBook program that allows the user to edit .epub ebook files. And as you may know, .epub is most likely gonna be the standard for all ebooks in the coming years and this program, Sigil, will work on Linux.

The website for the Sigil program is here: http://code.google.com/p/sigil/

Now, I've already downloaded the file "Sigil-0.1.9-Linux-x86_64-Setup.bin" from the Sigil download page. I tried going to the terminal on Mint, going to the folder where it was located at, and using the "sudo" command in front of the file itself. Nothing would happen.

So could anyone please tell me what I have to do or type into the terminal, word for word, to get this application to run on my computer.

Also, why hasn't anyone simply put this into an easy to download package that anyone, including me, can simply download from the Synaptic Package Manager ??? I mean, this Sigil ebook editor seems like it will have a future and many uses with .epub files. And its cross-platform too.

SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How does a noobie install Sigil (ebook program) onto Min

Post by SiKing »

Did you try the instruction at http://code.google.com/p/sigil/wiki/Ins ... structions
Please note that in any of the code snippets, all the extra characters like dots and slashes are all relevant and important.

Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kaye »

It's quite easy actually. Use the terminal to cd into the directory containing the bin, then just run

Code: Select all

sudo chmod +x <filename>
sudo ./<filename>
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?

LinuxGJE
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LinuxGJE »

thanks for both replies. They both had essentially the same answer and solution.

the people who wrote an article about the Sigil program, which I was following, forgot to mention the first step in the process of altering the .bin file to a workable state. The only part they mentioned was step 2.

so for anyone else, using these steps in the terminal:

STEP 1: sudo chmod +x <filename>
STEP 2: sudo ./<filename>

will work and fully install the Sigil bin file you download from their site on Google.

And the Sigil program seems to be a very good editor for .epub ebook files. it is a visual editor and you don't have to rely on codes to edit.

SuffolkPunch
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SuffolkPunch »

Hi!

I've intsalled sigil on Linux Mint Katya as per the above instructions
cd ~/Downloads/Sigil

sudo chmod +x Sigil-0.3.4-Linux-Setup.bin (makes the installation file executable)

sudo ./Sigil-0.3.4-Linux-Setup.bin (installs Sigil in /opt/sigil)
I get a sigil icon on my (non-root) desktop. But clicking on it doesn't run sigil. There's just a very brief flash like an outline box, then nothing!

But sigil does run if I open the desktop icon as administrator.

It seems the script the icon calls (/opt/sigil/sigil.sh ) requires root privileges.

Anyone know how to get sigil to run without root privileges?

Martin

alicaa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alicaa »

Hey may this information will help you:-

Go to a Terminal window and enter this command:

chmod 755 ~/Downloads/Sigil-0.3.4-Linux-Setup.bin

(If you don’t know how to find a Terminal window, click on the “Dash”, the Ubuntu icon on the upper-right hand corner of your screen, and search for Terminal.)

After the command completes, run this command to install Sigil:

sudo ~/Downloads/Sigil-0.3.4-Linux-Setup.bin

Enter your password to authenticate, and the Sigil installer will launch. Follow the default prompts, and you’ll soon have Sigil installed on your system. The installer will leave a shortcut icon on your desktop to launch the program. Alternatively, you could go to the Dash, search for “Sigil”, and double-click on the Sigil icon.

And now that you’ve got Sigil installed, why not celebrate by buying an ebook?

Return to “Software & Applications”