EXE files from CD

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Quake3DeathGod
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:36 pm

EXE files from CD

Post by Quake3DeathGod »

Ok, this Security/ExecutableBit thing is killing me. I've searched and searched.... I have found a LOT of arguing going on at the ubuntu forums. No answers. I'm trying to install some of my known working windows games in mint 9. I can not install anything because of the security. I cant change the file permissions, because its a cd, cant write the permissions... How do we disable the Security/ExecutableBit and make it work? I liked the idea if you didnt make the .exe files default for wine, you were still safe, because it would try to open in arc instead, unless you wanted to do it, you HAD to right click and tell it to. I understand the reason behind it, but really? Cant install software from a cd for pete's sake.... I want to be able to turn this thing off, or at least off for CD's. How can I do it?

User avatar
jcd
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:34 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Re: EXE files from CD

Post by jcd »

Same with me! Quite annoying...

I think I worked around this issue in the past by installing anything windows related on a virtual machine... But that's just a work-around...

We probably need to read some serious introduction to linux (book or series of tutorials)... There's something that we miss here that doesn't make any sense...

Quake3DeathGod
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: EXE files from CD

Post by Quake3DeathGod »

Im not using a virtual machine... The games I have work fine in wine, have gold rating... ect. What I have now, in the new mint 9 version is the security will NOT allow you to install an exe file unless you right click, and give it permission to execute. With it on a cd, you can not give it permissions, due to the nature cd being read only and all. This is a new thing that just came up. I've had no trouble in any other version of *buntu up till the latest release. Its something new. I've been reading in the ubuntu forums, and I've not found any thing but a bunch of people flaming each-other over there. I'm not getting into that war.

The work around is to copy the ENTIRE cd over to a folder, and run it from there. That ONLY works if the game being installed doesnt specificity look for the cd when installing. I've got some hunting games that install by doing this. Yet its ridiculous to have to copy 7 gigs to a hard just to install. Then delete it off. There has to be a better way.

I'm not LINUX god, but I know my way around enough to be dangerous. Reading a book is good and all, but I know when there is a problem. I always read the forums (lots of different disto's forums) and try and locate the answer before I post. So when I do post, I have a real problem. Its a new problem with security. Virtual box does not have the power to run 3d games. Although as of the last release, it will play old Doom2, so old school fun! I've been reminiscing in old TNT.wad...

BigBenCG
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:52 pm
Location: South Bend, IN

Re: EXE files from CD

Post by BigBenCG »

You can install your programs with WINE from terminal, it is pretty simple, and I understand it is a bit annoying not to be able to launch a .exe from your file browser.

Open your terminal, navigate to the folder with the .exe, list the directory contents to get the name of the installer if you don't know it, and run it with WINE.

Code: Select all

cd /media/nameofcd
ls
wine setup.exe
The installer should launch as it would in Windows, and if all goes well it should appear under WINE in your menu.

Quake3DeathGod
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: EXE files from CD

Post by Quake3DeathGod »

Ok, I'll give that a go.... Is this going to be fixed? I would consider this a total bug. The reason we have cd's is to install things from them. They are not much of a risk.

Quake3DeathGod
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: EXE files from CD

Post by Quake3DeathGod »

Ok, that seem to work. Yet this is STILL a bug. Linux has been for years trying to become more user friendly, and now, so late in the game, it sends the user back to the command line. Its just not right, and should not be done. When you have to go to the command line to install something from a disk, that is knocking Mint, Linux as a whole even, back about 8 years.....
It will drive people away, it probably already has if you read some on the ubuntu forums.

Quake3DeathGod
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: EXE files from CD

Post by Quake3DeathGod »

Installing multi cd games in not working in wine with the problems here. What can we do about it? How can I manually mount a cd? The next cd can not mount, cause terminal has it locked. Has to be a work around for all this....

User avatar
vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4412
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:53 pm
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA

Re: EXE files from CD

Post by vrkalak »

This is Linux!! ... Linux is not Windows!!

MS Windows, Mac/Apple and GNU/Linux ... are 3 totally different systems ... they are NOT inter-changeable or compatible!!

To use/run any Windows-based program or CD, you must use a Windows compatible application like Wine or Wine-doors.

This is definitely not a bug ... that's just the way the different systems are made.

As far as, Linux and using the Command-Line ... using the CLI is one of the great things about using Linux. Choice. Customization.
Image
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

mhwelsh
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:44 pm

Re: EXE files from CD

Post by mhwelsh »

BigBenCG you are a star.
cd to location of disk and then 'wine start.exe'. Magic.

Thanks again

martin welsh

Jedavis1975
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:02 am
Location: Texas

Re: EXE files from CD

Post by Jedavis1975 »

Ok first is Mint a Distro on its own or is it just Ubuntu in a new wrapper? Also does this "annoyance" exist with other Distros? IE pure Debian, or some of the Red Hat Dristos. Finally when is the Utube video of the genius who thought of this getting flogged going to be posted?


If I wanted to exclusively use a CLI I would still use DOS. This is the 21st century, If people that did not graduate with honors at MIT want to use Linux they should be able to and run software with a compatibility wrapper. If you get a virus, malware or system issue because of it then like Windows it is your fault.

And some people wonder why Microsoft still bends us over the table. How many quotes do you see in forums with people dual booting "Wintendo" and Linux to get things done. At this rate If I wont be allowed to run legally acquired software then why should I run Linux? I still have Openoffice, Audacity, superior open source disc authoring software and Incredible support for games which is the main tie to Windows.

And before some of you whine. "GNU/Linux is only for GNU Software" You can KMA. I know I am not alone in this but I have no issue using propriety drivers on my system as long as they cost no money. I have no problem paying for games I play. Only a small list of games exist for linux that are good, and the ones that are good I can also get for windows.

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 864
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 7:15 am

Re: EXE files from CD

Post by randomizer »

Jedavis1975 wrote:This is the 21st century
Not sure how that makes any difference as to whether you should be running a CLI or not. Use the best tool for the job, not the newest tool for the job.
Jedavis1975 wrote:And before some of you whine. "GNU/Linux is only for GNU Software" You can KMA
I'll save that for Richard Stallman to say. How about "GNU/Linux is for GNU/Linux software"? If you want to run Windows software, run Windows. Do you try running Synaptic on Windows? Or iWork on Windows? Running anything with 3rd-party compatibility libraries is going to cause headaches eventually. It would be much better if the software you want to run was compiled to run on Linux, then you would likely have no problems.

If you really need other people to tell you why you should be running Linux then you probably shouldn't be running Linux. As I said before, use the best tool for the job. Anything less is going to make you less productive.

Skip454
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:47 am

Re: EXE files from CD

Post by Skip454 »

vrkalak wrote:This is Linux!! ... Linux is not Windows!!

MS Windows, Mac/Apple and GNU/Linux ... are 3 totally different systems ... they are NOT inter-changeable or compatible!!

To use/run any Windows-based program or CD, you must use a Windows compatible application like Wine or Wine-doors.

This is definitely not a bug ... that's just the way the different systems are made.

As far as, Linux and using the Command-Line ... using the CLI is one of the great things about using Linux. Choice. Customization.
And thus we find the main reason not enough people are switching to Linux, people who think Linux is only for doing book reports. Yes I run a lot of emulators in my windows, funny, most work just fine and I don't have to declare I am God to run the dang things. This is a bug or a very silly backwards step in development.

User avatar
OldManHook
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 500
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 5:57 am
Location: SomeWhere In The US of A

Re: EXE files from CD

Post by OldManHook »

Skip454 wrote:
vrkalak wrote:This is Linux!! ... Linux is not Windows!!

MS Windows, Mac/Apple and GNU/Linux ... are 3 totally different systems ... they are NOT inter-changeable or compatible!!

To use/run any Windows-based program or CD, you must use a Windows compatible application like Wine or Wine-doors.

This is definitely not a bug ... that's just the way the different systems are made.

As far as, Linux and using the Command-Line ... using the CLI is one of the great things about using Linux. Choice. Customization.
And thus we find the main reason not enough people are switching to Linux, people who think Linux is only for doing book reports. Yes I run a lot of emulators in my windows, funny, most work just fine and I don't have to declare I am God to run the dang things. This is a bug or a very silly backwards step in development.
First Off your post is Just Dumb :!:
As for only doing book reports on Linux :? You must live under some kind of rock if you think that :? (Might want to Google Linux Use)
Not Enough people switching to Linux :lol: Why are you here :?: and it seems your biggest problem is Understanding
Who declare to be God You must be :evil: (Can't use word i want) You posted a dumb question-You Got a nice Reply, You still don't understand or care,since you say it it must be true-How God like
Do Apple software run on windows--Or better :?: will your windows software install on Apple? Is OS-X Silly,Backward or have a bug -Try to Install the same CD's
If you love Windows so much use it--Go to a Windows Forum an tell them they have a Bug--I can, install my .deb or my RPM-see what windows fans would tell you before kicking you off,But you can be dumb an still post here,but you might want to ask a question.
But most everyone here wish you luck-If you must Play windows Games run .exe files Get Windows and Enjoy :( :(
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
Gandhi

User avatar
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7525
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:20 pm

Re: EXE files from CD

Post by DrHu »

I don't understand that this is a problem, I don't have the problem. When I want a windows application, I am running a VM (virtualbox), when I want a windows game, I am using a windows OS, the best way to run a windows game
  • In fact one could keep an old computer available just for that purpose, eg an winXP machine.
  • Or one would have to buy an Xbox, or Sony PS3 and replace or get new games to play
  • Or one could use an online game service, and not even bother with the client side problem (local PC)
    -- unless one needed a windows OS
  • And so we are back to use windows for windows setups, however they arrive
When I use a MAC, I have a similar problem
http://echoone.com/filejuicer/formats/exe
Apple used to have stuffit, their file compression program which could read windows files, I can't remember but did windows ever provide a similar facility for Apple compressed files
Apple used to be able to read windows floppies (diskettes), I can't remember but did windows ever provide a similar facility for Apple diskettes.

It might be annoying to a windows user, but it is a complaint that Linux should never cure, since that would mean enabling more windows file formats to be supported transparently, and then the question might be "what's the difference, maybe I can use windows for everything, even Linux applications"
It is bad enough that we have to use Samba ( a reverse engineered solution) for the lack of data from Microsoft on how to inter-operate with their OS, or that the FAT file format has apparently been given a patent

Oops, that is already possible via OpenOffice or Firefox (starts on Linux, now runs on windows, Macs)
--I don't see the same largess from Microsoft with their office suite (Office), and even the version they provide to Apple is on shaky ground, and could be cut out at any time, should they decide to do so..

User avatar
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1319
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 1:52 pm
Location: Western Australia

Re: EXE files from CD

Post by Midnighter »

This didn't used to be an issue. Used to be simple. Then some bright spark decided we had to change the apps to executable before we could launch them. Yet another thing Ubuntu seem intent on making things more complicated, instead of simpler. It's a step backwards, and it's annoying a lot of people. Not to mention it's pointless. It's their PC, let them do what they want with the damn thing. Getting tired of know it alls , who seem all about "Freedom", yet won't let people use their damn PC the way they want to. No wonder we're not making much headway with this backwards-arsed thinking.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.

Skip454
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:47 am

Re: EXE files from CD

Post by Skip454 »

DrHu wrote:I don't understand that this is a problem, I don't have the problem. When I want a windows application, I am running a VM (virtualbox), when I want a windows game, I am using a windows OS, the best way to run a windows game
  • In fact one could keep an old computer available just for that purpose, eg an winXP machine.
  • Or one would have to buy an Xbox, or Sony PS3 and replace or get new games to play
  • Or one could use an online game service, and not even bother with the client side problem (local PC)
    -- unless one needed a windows OS
  • And so we are back to use windows for windows setups, however they arrive
When I use a MAC, I have a similar problem
http://echoone.com/filejuicer/formats/exe
Apple used to have stuffit, their file compression program which could read windows files, I can't remember but did windows ever provide a similar facility for Apple compressed files
Apple used to be able to read windows floppies (diskettes), I can't remember but did windows ever provide a similar facility for Apple diskettes.

It might be annoying to a windows user, but it is a complaint that Linux should never cure, since that would mean enabling more windows file formats to be supported transparently, and then the question might be "what's the difference, maybe I can use windows for everything, even Linux applications"
It is bad enough that we have to use Samba ( a reverse engineered solution) for the lack of data from Microsoft on how to inter-operate with their OS, or that the FAT file format has apparently been given a patent

Oops, that is already possible via OpenOffice or Firefox (starts on Linux, now runs on windows, Macs)
--I don't see the same largess from Microsoft with their office suite (Office), and even the version they provide to Apple is on shaky ground, and could be cut out at any time, should they decide to do so..
:roll: I guess it is not possible to explain the obvious to the oblivious. I have a 64 bit machine with 8 gig of mem and run Win 7 home, Win Vista Ultimate, and WinXP Pro on it. I also run Mint 9 in its own HD were I can do my writing using Open Office, and using wine to play my old Win 98 and other games, they all ran just fine until they broke this distro, so garbage about what people think of windows is of little importance, I personally liked OS2, I hate windows as well as anyone, but what is important is how to fix the EXE block someone put in. I COULD just reload the old distro and be done, but I won't, I will raise hell at people trying to make this as bad as the Windows you lambaste about doing the same dang thing, above.

By the way, I have no ancient machines that are capable of running Win98 for my games, which was why I used Linux in the first place, since it worked just fine until they broke it.

Yes, there was a free program for windows written by a Redhat guy that use to read Apple disks, but it only allowed access to the code if I remember. Not sure, to many years have went buy. Maybe that was for my Commodore 128 with its 1571 drives, or it might have been my father-in-laws Acorn System 2. One of them read Apple.

Still haven't seen an answer that does more than complain about windows, like how to enable the exe off a CD using wine, not a VM or anything else, so I will assume that all the bluster is like a politician that has no valid answer to a hard question and tries to throw a negative back at the questioner.

User avatar
OldManHook
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 500
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 5:57 am
Location: SomeWhere In The US of A

Re: EXE files from CD

Post by OldManHook »

skip454
Seems to me you are oblivious to the truth
You don't have to use Linux to run OOo
If You hate Windows Why do you have (3)three versions Installed(about $400US) But you still Have a problem with Linux/Wine not running your old Windows games If they are Windows games they should run on Windows.
Who complain about Windows :?: The Op asks about running .exe files on Linux from a CD,DrHu gave you his answer you don't like thats fine,But it's Fact.
Since it's not what you seek you start name calling--So You assume :( Some think that make you a :!: ) You act more like a politician,Want somthing for nothing-You expect a free OS to do what what your three Paid ones can't do.
As noted before Linux is about Freedom,No one make you use this or any OS--You should use what works best for you,But let's be real if Mint Don't work for You Don't Use it. :?

DrHu +1 Keep Up The Good Work :D
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
Gandhi

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 864
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 7:15 am

Re: EXE files from CD

Post by randomizer »

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine# ... 0to%20Wine

I have no idea when this part of the documentation was last updated. It may allow CDs you stick in to simply autorun.

User avatar
Pierre
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9603
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 am
Location: Perth, AU.

Re: EXE files from CD

Post by Pierre »

How do we disable the Security/ExecutableBit and make it work?
that is still a pain to patch around - shouldn't be necessary. :)

anyway, I've spend most of this year. looking @ crossover v9. - for 'nix.
& am coming to the conclusion, that if the <program> won't work under this.
then it's not worth having. :D
Image
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Mozenrath
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:41 am

Re: EXE files from CD

Post by Mozenrath »

That's strange, because it works just fine for me.

Post Reply

Return to “Software & Applications”