Problems with Gambas

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leo72
Level 1
Level 1

Problems with Gambas

Post by leo72 »

Hi everybody.
I've been a Suse user for several years.
But I've decided to change distro and I've started to look around searching a valid alternative to my Suse 10.2
I've found LinuxMint 3.0 Cassandra on a CD distribuited with a Linux magazine and I've tried it. I've been well impressed by this distro and I've decided to install it on my desktop PC.

Yesterday I've decided to compile and install the development environment that I use to create my little applications, Gambas. But I've had some problems... when I open the environment and try to compile any project of mine (developed with Qt) the environment seems to freeze. No message error is given... simply I get the window freezed...

This is strange because I've installed all the dependencies needed to compile and run Qt applications and because some weeks ago I've tried on the same PC Ubuntu 7.04 and I didn't get any kind of problems running and compiling my Gambas applications.
I know that LinuxMint is an Ubuntu-derived distro so I thinked that I couldn't have problems...

Someone can help me? :cry:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
leo72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leo72 »

Very very strange.... but I've solved the problem simply doing... nothing!
I've rebooted the system and when I opened again the Gambas development environment everythink worked fine!

It seems that there was a problem related to an upgrade that I made with Synaptic. I've noticed that when I install or reinstall applications a python sections starts in background consuming a looot of CPU and system resources! During this time, the MintMenu isn't working: maybe when I install any app a MintMenu updater (written in Python?) is called and it reanalyze all the entries to rebuild the menu???
This is the only explanation that I can give to this strange way of working of LinuxMint.
leo72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leo72 »

Up.

Nobody knows why LinuxMint get this long time to update the MintMenu after installing an application, with the system that seems to be freezed?
Is it a bug or a problem of my system?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Don't know :)
But there is a problem (in older versions only I think) with mintMenu using tons of memory under certain circumstances.
Else I can't make sense of it....
leo72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leo72 »

Not only in older versions but also in the last one.
I'm using LinuxMint 3.0 Cassandra and when I install with Synaptic any application that has a menu entry, I've noticed that when the installation is finished the HD starts working for a lot of time (several minutes).
During this time, the system is unusuable (it responds with a gap of several seconds) and I cannot open the MintMenu.
I've launched the system monitor to look at the processes that consume a lot of resources and I've noticed that one of the heaviest apps is marked as Python. So I think that MintMenu is handled by a Python istance that makes the upgrades at the menu entries after the installation is terminated.

I'll make a bug submit.

Return to “Software & Applications”