Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
psylent
Level 1
Level 1

WINE, punkbuster and more importantly BFBC2

Post by psylent »

Hi, i am a new user to Mint, i have tried the occasional linux distro over the years and this seems to be the best one for me that i have found, i am however faced with an interesting problem.

I have managed to get Steam running with WINE, and have successfully run COD4, but i get kicked from the online games within a couple minutes due to the punkbuster service failing. I have installed the linux version of punkbuster and it cannot see the games i have (this may be a good time to mention that i am running both steam and the games from a NTFS drive, the same one i run steam and games from when i am booted to windows), i also tried running the pbsetup.exe through wine, it can see the games but does not seem to get the service installed correctly.

The COD4 /5 thing doesent worry me THAT much, it just would be nice, the real thing i am interested in is getting battlefield bad company 2 running, and as it also depends on punkbuster i will need to get it sorted, when i try to run BFBC2 i get a white screen and nothing else, no error messages or anything like that. I also tried installing steam under wine but it cannot see the wine C: drive, it instead tries to install over my windows (real windows) version of steam.

Is there a way to get punkbuster services running for games that i run through wine ? and has anyone out there managed to get Battlefield Bad company 2 running on wine ??
If i could get these things to work i would be deleting windoze from the pc in a second, in my opinion it is the last hurdle in getting linux to be truly superior in every way (it does everything else better but the games, games, games) :D unfortunately one of the most important things for a pc to do IMO..
ANy help / advice is appreciated ...

I am running Mint 9 64bit, with a 3.9ghz dual core (overclocked), 6gb of ddr2ram (800mhz), a Nvidia 295gtx (i have the current Nvidia drivers for linux installed).
Not sure what else i could say to help with system spec etc.. let me know if more info is needed
Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Re: WINE, punkbuster and more importantly BFBC2

Post by Biker »

This would most likely be more suited for the Wine forums. I did find this:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=19181

Most likely, you aren't going to like how things appear or run.
Linux User #384279
psylent
Level 1
Level 1

Post by psylent »

Thank you for that link, it did give me something to work with. I did get past the white screen of death, but as far as running the game goes no go. I will try the WineHQ forums for this problem as well. It was my hope that someone out there had gotten the game to run. I wish game devs would write these games to run native in linux :( but i guess thats a long time coming.
mehmet7
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mehmet7 »

Hi, I don't know if that helps you, but I was able to install, run and play battlefield 1942 (patch 1.6) with wine on Mint Helena 8 with nearly no problems.
As I play online I did install also punkbuster under wine and until now had absolutely no problems.
I may add that I am using an older notebook, Toshiba Satellite 80-117, with an Intel Pentium (R) M processor 1,60 Ghz, 512 MB memory.
Besides that, BF 1942 runs with punkbuster.

Return to “Software & Applications”