Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Borsook
Level 3
Level 3

Please bring back the upgrade tool.

Post by Borsook » Sun May 30, 2010 12:12 pm

I am well aware of the rationale behind recommending a fresh install of each version of MInt. And it's very fine if it's a recommended method but there is still an alternative - like it was before. Fresh install is tedious for some of us, Backup tool has its problems and in truth does not allow for a very easy restoration of additional software you had installed. Not to mention that you have to have an external drive onto which you do the backup. My home folder is 250 GB, I know that an upgrade without backing up is risky but in truth it is so much easier than the alternative that it's a risk I'm willing to take. Of course we may do an upgrade changing repos and doing it manually, but would it be so terrible to have a nice GUI alternative for those that want to use this path? After all linux is about choice. :)

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Please bring back the upgrade tool.

Post by remoulder » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:51 am

You can still upgrade manually using the same terminal commands if you wish, this is safer than a gui upgrade tool anyway, though still not without risk.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Borsook
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Borsook » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:42 am

remoulder wrote:You can still upgrade manually using the same terminal commands if you wish, this is safer than a gui upgrade tool anyway, though still not without risk.
Why is a GUI tool less safe than command line???? Also trouble is that the "official" guide to upgrading http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2 does not mention even a single command, just tries to discourage people from doing a upgrade pushing the 90s-like approach "only reinstall.

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:38 am

This has been debated many times, I see no reason to do so again. Please search the forums for previous discussions.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Post by proxima_centauri » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:52 am

Borsook wrote:I am well aware of the rationale behind recommending a fresh install of each version of MInt.
If you understood the rationale behind recommending a fresh install, then you would understand why there is not an alternative GUI method to upgrade. Linux Mint is aimed at making the Linux desktop experience as simple as possible for newcomers. If there was an easy GUI method to access for upgrade, it is likely a user may accidentally use it, without knowing the full ramifications.
Borsook wrote:would it be so terrible to have a nice GUI alternative for those that want to use this path? After all linux is about choice.
No, and you and anyone else are free to implement your own solution. As far as the developer is concerned however, it does not fit with the Mint philosophy, and for the time being - will not be created or included.

To summarize, the tool would not fit with Mint's goal of "ease-of-use", because of this - it is not included. Advanced users who understand the risks should have no problem doing a manual upgrade via APT.

Return to “Software & Applications”