Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
alex999
Level 1
Level 1

Software manager freezes

Postby alex999 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:15 pm

Fresh installation and my Software manager constantly freezes along with Synaptic which sometimes freezes. It goes dark and hangs there. Also the authentication dialog takes forever to produce the password box and when it does the download freezes. I left Ubuntu for the much better PCLinux Gnome 2010 which never freezes but I heard good things about Mint so I thought I would try it. Sadly it behaves the same buggy way as plain old Ubu. Still I would like to see this work. Anyone?

Jeff91
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Software manager freezes

Postby Jeff91 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:18 am

Up until this point I've really had nothing bad to say about Mint - but I am in the same boat here. MintInstall keeps locking up on me and it is REALLY annoying. As a temp fix I tried to install the software center from Ubuntu but it fails to launch for me...

+1 for figuring out how to find the mintinstall...

~Jeff

nenelson1981
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nenelson1981 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:46 pm

Having the same issue. Really making me angry. Did not act this way when I first installed mint. Feel like I spend more time trying figure out how to fix or work around bugs than being productive!

nenelson1981
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nenelson1981 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:19 pm

Interesting Note: When I log in under another user account the software manager no longer freezes. It usually freezes after asking for authentication when I am under my own account. However it still downloads and installs the requested application. What does this indicate? Possible permissions glitch? I don't know... But if anyone does please HELP!!

nenelson1981
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nenelson1981 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:54 pm

nenelson1981 wrote:Interesting Note: When I log in under another user account the software manager no longer freezes. It usually freezes after asking for authentication when I am under my own account. However it still downloads and installs the requested application. What does this indicate? Possible permissions glitch? I don't know... But if anyone does please HELP!!

Solved for now. Just created another user account for myself and made it the administrative account and deleted the other one. It is a pain but better than reinstalling from scratch. Hope this helps.

dapeco
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dapeco » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:41 am

I hesitate to post here because I am a new user of Linux (about 2 hours) and I installed 32bit x86 Mint 12 a couple of hours ago to try out Linux on an old HP G60. I noticed right away the search problem with the Software Manager, while I was looking for stuff to add. As soon as you start typing in the search window the Software Manager seems to start some heavy crunching and ties up resources that prevent you from finishing your entry.

I selected "switched user", logged off and logged back in under the only user I have listed, but this time I selected "Gnome Classic (No Effects)" before logging in and the manager search function seems to work now.

I have another work around that seems to be effective. Type your search term anywhere and cut and paste it into the Software Manager's search window. I had Firefox open so I just typed my search term into the address bar and cut and pasted from there.

everready
Level 3
Level 3

Postby everready » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:51 pm

I'm a new user as well, 2 weeks now, i have to say, your suggestion sounds doable.. :D

Thank you..
everready

voy108
Level 1
Level 1

Postby voy108 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:35 pm

Hey all: Well, us newbies have our problems but I do like Mint. I'm using the Cinnamon extension and like that probably because I get a "Windows" felling. Trying to get away from Windows but have been on the OS since 3.0. Anyhow I digress...I'm having same problem in SM and notice that the hard drive is active so if you're using an older machine it will seem like it is freezing but just doing an extensive search of all 33k programs. There must be a way to turn off the active search but have not found it yet.
My 2 cents worth.
voy108
Doug

dapeco
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dapeco » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:10 am

voy108 wrote:...I'm having same problem in SM and notice that the hard drive is active so if you're using an older machine it will seem like it is freezing but just doing an extensive search of all 33k programs.
voy108with
Doug

You might be right, but when I said I was using an old computer, I was speaking of my HP G60 dual core Intel 4GB of ram. Having said that, for some reason SM is now working for me without work arounds. Go figure!

I am now trying to figure out WINE and I have Citrix receiver working. This is a fun new challenge. It is nothing like the first time I tried to set up Linux back in the early 1990's with Red Hat.

Al

Return to “Software & Applications”