MonoDevelop does not start

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dbjdbj

MonoDevelop does not start

Post by dbjdbj »

Using "Software Manager" , I installed MonoDevelop 2.2
The problem is it does not want to start at all. It stays forever on the splash screen.
CPU usage goes to 100%
I tried waiting but nothing happened, just a splash screen and 100% CPU.
I use (the latest) Mint, "out-of-the-box". The only additions besides MonoDevelop are what update manager suggested and I dutifully obliged.
If it matters machine is laptop Dell Inspiron 6000, 512MB RAM, plenty of HD free space.

Any idea anyone ?

Many thanks: DBJDBJ
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Re: MonoDevelop does not start

Post by eiver »

I didn't have problems starting MonoDevelop, but I did encounter a similar problem when trying to debug an application. The application would freeze and take 100% of the CPU - no breakpoints hit, no exceptions thrown. It must be some kind of bug within Mono itself.

You can try two things. Try running MonoDevelop from the command line and see if any error messages come up, which will point you in the right direction. Or you can contact Mono and MonoDevelop devs on IRC, as they are obviously the most competent people in this case.
dbjdbj

Post by dbjdbj »

I removed all mono stuff.
Added badgerports.com as new software source.
Then installed monodevelop 2.4
Then MINT update manager wanted me to upgrade my mono libs to 2.6.x ...
Which I did
And then ... same not-result : MonoDevelop splash screen, 100% CPU for-ever ...

Has anyone had the same problems using MINT+MONODEVELOP ?

--DBJ
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

Another hint which might answer the question if the problem is Mono itself or MonoDevelop: Try running another application written for Mono and see if you have the same issues. Gnome-Do and F-Spot come to mind. You will find a longer list at Wikipedia. F-spot is installed by default in Isadora.
dbjdbj

Post by dbjdbj »

Neither gnome-do or f-spot "came" with my MINT Isadora 9.
So I installed both.
And it seems the both work OK.
Now, I really want to solve this mistery ... to pull me out of this misery.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

Well at this point I am out of ideas. Obviously if you just installed the application an it does not work, then it is a major bug within the application. On the other hand I do not have problems starting MonoDevelop nor anyone else (I assume you googled for the problem and didn't find anyone else reporting this issue. So it must be one of these difficult to find (non-repeatable bugs). At this point the only way to solve this issue is to debug MonoDevelop (or Mono) to see where does it enter infinite loop. I don't know how to do that, but there is some information about that on the MonoDevelop web page - I would also really suggest asking Mono and MonoDevelop devs on IRC.
dbjdbj

Post by dbjdbj »

Well, here we are entering the quality of the MonoDevelop, as an issue.
For example, quality software has a diagnostic infrastructure built in.
And it also has powerfull external configuration infrastructure.
Etc ... Catch my drift ?
I am in contact with a member of the team, which also uses MINT. Of course he is helpfull, but somehow these two points are never commented or answered whenver I mention them?
gsus

Post by gsus »

I have the same problem I need monodevelop, but i can't do that passes the splash screen.

It's only a mint distribution bug?
dbjdbj

Post by dbjdbj »

Ah, I am not the only one, that is good to know. As I said already :: "... here we are entering the quality of the MonoDevelop, as an issue. " etc ...

And there was no reply/comment form the good MD team. I am not extremely well versed in the open software comunity psychology, so maybe this is a wrong comment ;) kind-of-a "ruffling the feathers, wrong way", I suppose ? As I explained earlier: I can only realistically help by promoting mono+linux and using monodevelop on actual real live projects. generaly wherever some Java boffin tries to "slot in" that sorry VM ;)

For that I need tested and working MonoDevelop.

--DBJ
galher

Post by galher »

Same problem here...
it says i have to install Mono first but I'm quite confused with GPG keys that http://badgerports.org/ require.
dbjdbj

Post by dbjdbj »

@gsus @galher
What Linux distro you guys are using ? I am using MINT (the latest).

--DBJ
galher

Post by galher »

I am using Isadora too.

With Gloria worked fine in the same machine!
dbjdbj

Post by dbjdbj »

Damn You Isadora ;o)
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

I just used http://badgerports.org/ too and upgraded to version 2.4. Both 2.2 and 2.4 run fine on my machine. Just a thought: in the first post you wrote, that you have 512 MB RAM. Is it possible that you run out of memory?
flashbry

Post by flashbry »

Hi,

I had the same problem with v2.4.
A work around is to add -nologo to the command which launches MonoDevelop.
For easy instructions of how to do this, see here: bryanlewis.co.uk

Hope this helps!

:)
dbjdbj wrote:Using "Software Manager" , I installed MonoDevelop 2.2
The problem is it does not want to start at all. It stays forever on the splash screen.
CPU usage goes to 100%
I tried waiting but nothing happened, just a splash screen and 100% CPU.
I use (the latest) Mint, "out-of-the-box". The only additions besides MonoDevelop are what update manager suggested and I dutifully obliged.
If it matters machine is laptop Dell Inspiron 6000, 512MB RAM, plenty of HD free space.

Any idea anyone ?

Many thanks: DBJDBJ

Return to “Software & Applications”