inpaint alternative

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jude13

inpaint alternative

Post by jude13 »

Inpaint is a windows program that makes it very easy for me to remove unwanted objects from digital photos/ images and the like... anyone know of a easy alternative in linux please?

tried installing with wine/ crossover but it just wont work..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: inpaint alternative

Post by DrHu »

First for Linux, check any equivalence list(s)..
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Lin ... s_software

Second, check the application category "photo editing software Linux"
http://linux.about.com/od/softgraphics/ ... _Image.htm
Inkscape, xara, Gimp, Picasa, fotowall (a digital stitching application Linux); others do come to mind, but all it needs is a quick search on the Internet

I don't know your application, but my bet is that Photoshop elements is considered one of the better photo editing solutions available, or photoshop (if one can afford the admission price)
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

Two suggestions:

Linux: mtPaint works well (can be installed via the Synaptic package manager).

Windows: PhotoFiltre runs almost perfectly under Wine (just a few small GUI glitches).
http://photofiltre.free.fr/frames_en.htm

Both offer a fair range of tools for manipulating images.
jude13

Post by jude13 »

1st off a thank you to the both of you for the fast replies..

Iv tried out all the applications listed but they ain't as easy the programs im talking about.. inpaint or photowipe. With them
its just select and go... parts of the image you don't need are wiped out..

I would like it to be just select area-- click and done

I dont mind if its paid software.. I have crossover but the above two don't work with it.

@Brian49 mtpaint is really good for a beginner like me.. a lot of my family request me to edit photos for them but I don't get the time to learn the hard way with gimp and such very much..

thank you!
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

If by "wiping" part of an image you mean what is usually called cropping (i.e. removing the unselected area), then both mtPaint and PhotoFiltre can do that very easily - just select the area you wish to keep, then go to Crop on the Image menu or hit the keyboard shortcut (as given on that menu).
jude13

Post by jude13 »

ah but that removes only the peripheral parts of the image...
If i wanna to remove a central part of the image leaving the rest intact, i need to use clone and heal tools in gimp and my hands aren't yet that steady ...

hmm.. Iv googled around a lot .. my search ends in failure :| ..

p.s. mtpaint is a great app..
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

In mtPaint, you can select an area and fill it with a neutral colour of your choice, using Fill Selection from the Selection menu. That's almost the same as wiping it.
jude13

Post by jude13 »

yup tried that out but it doesn't really do what I would like... I want something like the clone and heal functions of gimp automated.. i.e. blending with the background
mtpaint also has clone and is way faster than gimp but still needs somewhat of an artistic hand which I still don't have :roll:

Return to “Software & Applications”