SOLVED: Printing failed "couldn't read xref tables"

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
revdjenk

SOLVED: Printing failed "couldn't read xref tables"

Post by revdjenk »

This is the error I receive when trying to print.
This happened after reading this blog and trying the boot speed up hint:
http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/46530

Once I rebooted for the second time, and tried to print a file, I noticed that I no longer had any printers installed. Even after installing the two I use, I received the error mentioned in the subject line. (This appears to be the only change to my system, as everything else I've used works.)
i tried to print through gedit using terminal as root (from a hint from LinuxMintHelp IRC) But that didn't work, either. I have found nothing of help in the Google, either.

Anyone else run into this? Anyway of correcting other than reinstalling? (which doesn't bother me, but I would love to know a shorter-time fix!)

Thanks
Doug
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
revdjenk

Re: Printing failed "couldn't read xref tables"

Post by revdjenk »

i heard today that this may be a printer spooler corruption, and that there should be a utility to fix this...
...anyone...google is not helping, yet!

God Bless
Doug
revdjenk

Re: SOLVED: Printing failed "couldn't read xref tables"

Post by revdjenk »

Well...

...removed/reinstalled cups, ghostscript, but it seems that it was removing/installing libsgs8 (which removed evince and a few other packages) fixed this...

God bless
Doug
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

I am glad you found an answer. I saw your original post but did not chime in because I didn't have an answer. Now if I see a post with a similar error I can send them to yours. Thanks for posting the answer and labeling the thread [Solved} instead of just going silent.
revdjenk

Post by revdjenk »

Thanks dawgdoc,

I should also say that I was getting inspirational help from the writer of the article that I had read over at TechRepublic, Jack Wallen. He stuck with me offering his ideas and insight, until we solved it.
What finally made the light bulb light up over my head was that the libsgs8 package dealt with cups and pdf document printing. All the problems with the xref tables error I discovered on the Google were problems with pdf printing! Since I was using print test in the Administration printing tool, OpenOffice docs and as root with .txt files with terminal, I knew it that this wasn't a pdf problem, but finally realized that this pdf package obviously was causing the problem.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Oddly, I had a pdf problem today. It was that I could not open them using Document Viewer. I opened Synpatic, did a Quick Search for pdf, saw two packages that had updates available, updated them and problem solved. I have a few thousand pdfs used in working on parachute gear, it is important to me to be able to access them. It's also important to my customers. :lol:
revdjenk

Post by revdjenk »

ah, obviously an open and shut case for you!!
revdjenk

Post by revdjenk »

hee hee, just noticed your profile info....Jack Wallen is in Louisville KY!

Return to “Software & Applications”