mint menu for dock

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jude13

mint menu for dock

Post by jude13 »

how do you add the mint menu into cairo dock/any other dock? i prefer the mint menu over the default gnome menu it comes with

thank you in advance.. sorry m new to mint
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: mint menu for dock

Post by Oscar799 »

If this is possible I'd like to do it too
Hopefully someone will know and will enlighten us both :P
kei84

Post by kei84 »

I also don't know if it´s possible to use mint menu in Cairo Dock or AWN, but what you can do is use the panel as a dock. All you have to do is configure it to look like a dock. That's what I do. this way you'll be able to use mint menu.
jude13

Post by jude13 »

@kei84... thank you.ah yes i have been doing that.. using the auto hide makes the panel like a dock

but 2 things- it doesn' t stay on the desktop even if windows aren't open
and i just love the shine and anims and effects of cairo

its a silly i know :oops: . but aren't there kids like us who 'd rather stare at the desktop :wink:

@oscar799 awn doesnt seem to have the effects like cairo does... ty
euthypro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by euthypro »

See:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=832837&page=2

Instructions on Post #17. This works for the Ubuntu main menu, and it should work for mintmenu by substituting the keyboard shortcut, or changing it to <Alt>F1.

Angel

Edit: I don't normally use mintmenu, so I tried it out. Problem is, mintmenu keyboard shortcuts only work if there is an applet on the panel. I have the panel on autohide, and the AWN launcher works by opening mintmenu at the top, where the applet is, rather than from the launcher as the other menus do.
jude13

Post by jude13 »

hey euthypro thank you for lookin into this..
sorry if i sound silly ... but im new to mint and linux in general ... a very gui oriented mind

okay so here goes- with mint menu applet on the gnome panel i press alt+F1 and the menu opens

agreed the panel can be set to autohide.. but say i want to get rid of the gnome panel entirely and only have the dock with a graphical applet clickable on the dock itself....

i did try something weird -- created a launcher on the desktop and pointed it to the mint menu ( in usr folder) ... then dragged it into the dock ... but it opens in a window and i have to close it like one heh ^_^

Return to “Software & Applications”