Dificulty with Virtualbox

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Dificulty with Virtualbox

Post by T J Tulley »

There may be a bug at the root of this problem - perhaps in Synaptic, but I can't see a forum for that. (I'm really still a Newbie).

After enquiring, I selected the new Virtualbox/debian feisty to download for Cassandra. This happened very quickly, but the package is only 2.3 kB, while the older Edgy version which I downloaded last week is 11.8 MB - strange. Before use I transferred it from desktop to downloads, as I routinely do.

R-click shows Open with MintInstall, so I did that - a slow process - progress box reported various difficulties on the way, but ultimately reported Finished, and later in another box I saw Installed. (Several tries at this process).

To confirm, and hoping to use it, I looked at All Programs in the balloon from Cassandra - not there!

Next I opened Install Software (Synaptic Package Manager) which did show VirtualBox - with a red mark - Marked for deletion. The reason for this post is that I can't remove that! The manual doesn't specifically mention Unmarking, but here it doesn't work.

I know a problem was reported with Synaptic about 2 weeks ago, and I ran into that while trying to use it with Bianca.

Hope this helps -

Yours sincerely, -

Theo Tulley.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Dificulty with Virtualbox

Post by JAK »

T J Tulley wrote:There may be a bug at the root of this problem - perhaps in Synaptic, but I can't see a forum for that. (I'm really still a Newbie).

After enquiring, I selected the new Virtualbox/debian feisty to download for Cassandra. This happened very quickly, but the package is only 2.3 kB, while the older Edgy version which I downloaded last week is 11.8 MB - strange. Before use I transferred it from desktop to downloads, as I routinely do.

R-click shows Open with MintInstall, so I did that - a slow process - progress box reported various difficulties on the way, but ultimately reported Finished, and later in another box I saw Installed. (Several tries at this process).

To confirm, and hoping to use it, I looked at All Programs in the balloon from Cassandra - not there!

Next I opened Install Software (Synaptic Package Manager) which did show VirtualBox - with a red mark - Marked for deletion. The reason for this post is that I can't remove that! The manual doesn't specifically mention Unmarking, but here it doesn't work.

I know a problem was reported with Synaptic about 2 weeks ago, and I ran into that while trying to use it with Bianca.

Hope this helps -

Yours sincerely, -

Theo Tulley.
Follow this thread. Maybe it will help.
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4896

Return to “Software & Applications”