*.txt files

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: *.txt files

Post by scorp123 »

sprocket_dk wrote:Hej I can't seem to open txt files. When I double click on a txt file nothing happens. Am I missing some program here?
That's weird. Are you sure those files aren't empty? e.g. do they have a file length? Maybe it's just the file associations that got messed up? Do you use KDE or GNOME?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Files with a .txt file association tend to be treated as executable text files but certainly something should happen....
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Husse wrote:Files with a .txt file association tend to be treated as executable text files
Huh??? On which OS and from which parallel Universe?
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

I have no problem to open the .txt files with the text editor...:wink: your problems are surprising, or I misunderstand you (that is always possible)
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
Husse

Post by Husse »

scorp123 wrote:
Husse wrote:
Files with a .txt file association tend to be treated as executable text files
Huh??? On which OS and from which parallel Universe?
:):)
Most something.txt on my Mint, but much something.txt comes from my ntfs partition so that may be it...
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

linuxviolin wrote: your problems are surprising, or I misunderstand you (that is always possible)
Pas de f***ing kidding, I had the very same thought :lol:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Husse wrote: something.txt comes from my ntfs partition so that may be it...
Yes, because there those files (and everything else) get the execute bit set unless you set the "noexec" parameter or use a proper Linux filesystem which is able to report the correct bit settings (rwx ..) to the system. This has not really something to do with the *.txt files being really 'executable' but rather how Linux is interpreting stuff from non-Linux filesystems.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Yaeh - that's it, but I've got some .txt files not coming from ntfs being like that too....
So much so that it's been annoying - but normal .txt don't - just checked
It was so much that I was beginning to think it was something with the .txt - and you don't use file extensions much in Linux....
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Husse wrote: Yaeh - that's it, but I've got some .txt files not coming from ntfs being like that too....
Maybe they originate from Windows or some other non-UNIX-like OS? Could be then that somehow that execute bit got preserved.
Husse wrote: So much so that it's been annoying

Code: Select all

find . -name *.[Tt][Xx][Tt] -type f -print -exec chmod 644 {} \;

Return to “Software & Applications”