Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
brady
Level 1
Level 1

Itunes

Post by brady »

I now know - after doing a search - that Itunes is not a favorite among the group here BUT... What else can I use to put music onto an ipod? can I convert music files with something so that the old itunes files will play?

please help
OldManHook
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Itunes

Post by OldManHook »

brady wrote:I now know - after doing a search - that Itunes is not a favorite among the group here BUT... What else can I use to put music onto an ipod? can I convert music files with something so that the old itunes files will play?

please help

What :?: "I-Tunes is not a favorite among the group here But" :o :o ,It's Not the group but Apple-as they do not see fit to make (let) I-Tunes run on Linux (not just Mint),So you see if they Diss Linux -their Roots ,Not much love :)
If you searched this forum you would have found that most of "the group" use Rhythmbox with I-Pods and I-Phones it works just not as easy (mostly you have to drag and drop) But you can use your I Stuff with Mint :o
Just convert your files to MP3 there are many programs to do so--If you still have a windows install do all your converting before moving to Linux or you can search for a Linux program to convert,You will find that using your I-Pod in Mint is like early Windows--Hope this helps,More questions Just Ask 8)
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
Gandhi
Mozenrath
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mozenrath »

There was Songbird which is a lot like iTunes, except now they no longer support linux let alone iPods. Fortunately Nightingale, a fork of Songbird, is just around the corner for Linux.
markfiend
Level 4
Level 4

Post by markfiend »

My old 4th gen iPod Classic (the photo iPod) works with Rhythmbox. So does my wife's 3rd gen Nano.

There's no "sync" but you can drag-and-drop music from your computer to your iPod (and vice-versa) no problem. Also you don't have the issues with trying to run two iPods off one computer like you do in iTunes.

I hear some newer iPod models might not work with Rhythmbox, I don't know if that's the case or not.
Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.
OldManHook
Level 5
Level 5

Post by OldManHook »

Songbird http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=55250
Rhythmbox works :) with the Touch and I-Phone
One more thing if you set up your I-Pod with I-Tunes it works better,and if it mess up you will have to reset it in I-Tunes :(
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
Gandhi
Mozenrath
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mozenrath »

OldManHook wrote:Songbird http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=55250
Rhythmbox works :) with the Touch and I-Phone
One more thing if you set up your I-Pod with I-Tunes it works better,and if it mess up you will have to reset it in I-Tunes :(
I wouldn't recommend Songbird since they no longer support iPods, let alone Songbird itself on Linux. My girlfriend's 6th gen iPod Classic didn't even work, and she's had it for years now.

Again, I'd suggest waiting for Nightingale to be released.
http://getnightingale.com

I've had lots of problems with Rhythmbox, so I use Banshee. Works with both my girlfriend's iPod and my Nokia phone. Banshee isn't without it's problems and it's not the prettiest music player ever, but it's my recommendation currently.

Return to “Software & Applications”