WIne App won't launch from mainmenu

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
BUffalo_guy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:12 am

WIne App won't launch from mainmenu

Post by BUffalo_guy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:40 am

I have been working with Isadora and have come across a storage problem. After installing MS Office via Wine every time I attempt to launch a program from the mainmenu I receive the error , "File not found" If I go into properties and copy the launch command and place in the terminal or as a desktop launcher the program executes correctly. If I double click on the application exe file it launches correctly. All exes are associated with Wine as noted as a potential problem in another post. Noted below is the Wine command that works in terminal or as a desktop launcher but only returns a "file not found" error when launched from the menu. Any troubleshooting suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Code: Select all

env WINEPREFIX="/home/sb/.wine" wine C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe /Unix /home/sb/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/sb/Start\ Menu/Programs/Microsoft\ Office/Microsoft\ Office\ Word\ 2007.lnk
Steve

travlemon
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:18 pm

Re: WIne App won't launch from mainmenu

Post by travlemon » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:10 pm

i'm actually experiencing the same thing. i have a feeling you are using the Gnome desktop version of Mint 9? I have one laptop with Mint 9 KDE, and another with Mint 9 Gnome. The KDE laptop doesn't have this problem, and the Gnome laptop does have the problem.

Assuming you are using Gnome, I also noticed that the Programs group does not show up for me in the Wine menu. Instead, all of the applications show up together in the root of the Wine menu. I feel like these two issues maybe connected somehow. Perhaps a bug with the Mint Menu? I used Mint 8 with the Gnome desktop for quite some time, and never had this issue.

Unfortunately, I do not have a fix for you, but I have been messing with it to see if i can figure out a solution. I'll post back if I form a feasible solution.
For my video tutorials, check out:
http://www.youtube.com/webhunterification

BUffalo_guy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:12 am

Re: WIne App won't launch from mainmenu

Post by BUffalo_guy » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:09 am

Thanks for the tip. I installed KDE version of Isadora and can confirm that MS Office installs correctly as runs as a series of menus off the Wine menu as you would expect with Windows installed apps. I will follow up with a bug report. Let me know if you come up with a solution. For now the desktop launcher works.

Steve

travlemon
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:18 pm

Re: WIne App won't launch from mainmenu

Post by travlemon » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:01 pm

BUffalo_guy wrote:Thanks for the tip. I installed KDE version of Isadora and can confirm that MS Office installs correctly as runs as a series of menus off the Wine menu as you would expect with Windows installed apps. I will follow up with a bug report. Let me know if you come up with a solution. For now the desktop launcher works.

Steve
no problem! i still can't find a solution. so far, i tried hiding and the unhiding the Programs folder from the menu. i tried doing a complete removal of the mintmenu package, rebooting and reinstalling it, then rebooting again. still no luck. then i tried installing an older version of wine, and still no luck. i'm tempted to say that it's just a bug in the mint menu, and hopefully a new update will come out soon and fix it.
For my video tutorials, check out:
http://www.youtube.com/webhunterification

BUffalo_guy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:12 am

Re: WIne App won't launch from mainmenu

Post by BUffalo_guy » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:07 pm

When I went to to report the bug and it appears it has been reported and fixed in a mintmenu 5.1.1 release. HOw does one get the new release? Attempts through Synaptic show no updates available. THanks!

travlemon
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:18 pm

Re: WIne App won't launch from mainmenu

Post by travlemon » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:27 pm

BUffalo_guy wrote:When I went to to report the bug and it appears it has been reported and fixed in a mintmenu 5.1.1 release. HOw does one get the new release? Attempts through Synaptic show no updates available. THanks!
i do not have a definitive answer for you on that one, as i'm still pretty new to linux myself. i've googled around a little bit, and it appears that even 5.1.2 has been released as well. maybe they've been holding off on releasing it through synaptic until it's verified as stable? i'm not quite sure how to get my hands on the latest release though
For my video tutorials, check out:
http://www.youtube.com/webhunterification

unexistance
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 638
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:28 am
Location: Malaysia

Re: WIne App won't launch from mainmenu

Post by unexistance » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:18 pm

Hi,

The new mintmenu MAY be backported to mint9 (now it under testing phase, I believe), but you can get it now with mint10

Regards,
:: Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved ::

User avatar
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5065
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:54 am
Location: Mt. Angel, Oregon

Re: WIne App won't launch from mainmenu

Post by tdockery97 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:18 am

I'm running Mint 10 with Mint Menu 5.1.3. I never had that problem with Wine apps in Mint 9, but it has shown up in Mint 10. The app I installed will not start from Mint Menu, but will start from a desktop shortcut. :roll:
Peppermint OS 10

unexistance
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 638
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:28 am
Location: Malaysia

Re: WIne App won't launch from mainmenu

Post by unexistance » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:34 am

Then I think you can compare the command between the two
:: Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved ::

BUffalo_guy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:12 am

Re: WIne App won't launch from mainmenu

Post by BUffalo_guy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:00 pm

Just upgraded to the release candidate and I am seeing the same problem. MS Office menu items will not launch. You receive an error "File not found". If you take the same string from the property of the menu item and place it in a desk top launcher, the app runs. I filed a bug report. For now I have a work around. Other Windows apps install and run OK.

travlemon
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:18 pm

Re: WIne App won't launch from mainmenu

Post by travlemon » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:09 pm

BUffalo_guy wrote:Just upgraded to the release candidate and I am seeing the same problem. MS Office menu items will not launch. You receive an error "File not found". If you take the same string from the property of the menu item and place it in a desk top launcher, the app runs. I filed a bug report. For now I have a work around. Other Windows apps install and run OK.
i just thought i'd post again, because i wanted to mention that if you drag the icons from the wine menu on to the desktop, to create desktop icons, they should work fine. at least then you won't have to be launching them from the terminal. try that, hope it helps!
For my video tutorials, check out:
http://www.youtube.com/webhunterification

User avatar
Linhishyra
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:24 pm
Location: México lindo y querido

Re: WIne App won't launch from mainmenu

Post by Linhishyra » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:46 pm

Greetings to everyone,
I'm using Mint 10RC Wine 1.2 and having the same problem, fin a work-around for clean-desktop-lovers, using Docky, you may drag the Wine app that refuses to launch from the MintMenu to Docky, and there through the mysterious ways of Tux it'll work just fine. Still I'm looking for a way to solve this on the menu 'cause everyone loves a clockwork Mint, don't we? :mrgreen:
Find me @ NeoAztlán.

The life is a theater play, you decide either conquer the crowd from the middle of the stage or to hide forever behind the curtain.

as.white.as.snow
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:46 am

Re: WIne App won't launch from mainmenu

Post by as.white.as.snow » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:07 pm

I'm getting the same problem in Mint 10 . . I think I have a workaround. If you make a simple script file that executes the wine command, you can reference the script from the menu launcher and it will work.

For example, to make a script for Word:
gedit ~/.wine/run_word

and put the following code:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
env WINEPREFIX="/home/plimley/.wine" 
wine C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe /Unix /home/plimley/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/plimley/Start\ Menu/Programs/Microsoft\ Office/Microsoft\ Office\ Word\ 2007.lnk
The env and wine commands are just copied from the menu launcher (right click menu item, Edit Properties, Command entry). I put them on separate lines in the run_word file (not sure this matters).

Then edit the launcher in the menu, and change the Command entry to:
/home/username/.wine/run_word

That seems to work for me. If you want to show the Word icon too, either find the icon in the Office install (I couldn't) or grab it from http://www.seoconsultants.com/windows/icons/microsoft/ and set it in the Edit Properties box.

I initially had success by simply pointing the launcher directly to the EXE file: e.g. wine /home/username/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Microsoft\ Office/Office12/WORD.EXE, however the launcher seems to stop working after a reboot. Additionally, the run_word workaround above seems to stop working if I edit the launcher command, and then change it back; but it works again after a reboot. Something strange going on here with the Main Menu; if anyone is looking into fixing this they might find this behavior interesting.

Does this work for others too?

(In other news, my Powerpoint stopped working sometime between installing Office on Friday and getting this workaround going today :( . I'm pretty sure it's unrelated to the workaround though since Word and Excel are fine.)

travlemon
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:18 pm

Re: WIne App won't launch from mainmenu

Post by travlemon » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:33 pm

as.white.as.snow wrote:I'm getting the same problem in Mint 10 . . I think I have a workaround. If you make a simple script file that executes the wine command, you can reference the script from the menu launcher and it will work.

For example, to make a script for Word:
gedit ~/.wine/run_word

and put the following code:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
env WINEPREFIX="/home/plimley/.wine" 
wine C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe /Unix /home/plimley/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/plimley/Start\ Menu/Programs/Microsoft\ Office/Microsoft\ Office\ Word\ 2007.lnk
The env and wine commands are just copied from the menu launcher (right click menu item, Edit Properties, Command entry). I put them on separate lines in the run_word file (not sure this matters).

Then edit the launcher in the menu, and change the Command entry to:
/home/username/.wine/run_word

That seems to work for me. If you want to show the Word icon too, either find the icon in the Office install (I couldn't) or grab it from http://www.seoconsultants.com/windows/icons/microsoft/ and set it in the Edit Properties box.

I initially had success by simply pointing the launcher directly to the EXE file: e.g. wine /home/username/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Microsoft\ Office/Office12/WORD.EXE, however the launcher seems to stop working after a reboot. Additionally, the run_word workaround above seems to stop working if I edit the launcher command, and then change it back; but it works again after a reboot. Something strange going on here with the Main Menu; if anyone is looking into fixing this they might find this behavior interesting.

Does this work for others too?

(In other news, my Powerpoint stopped working sometime between installing Office on Friday and getting this workaround going today :( . I'm pretty sure it's unrelated to the workaround though since Word and Excel are fine.)
thanks for the tip! i ended up just dragging them to the desktop, as it seems to work fine that way too. or, as mentioned above, it will work if you simply drag the program from the menu to docky, and launch it from docky. hopefully it gets fixed soon. i'm hoping that when this gets fixed, they also fix the organization. the "Programs" group doesn't show up for me. instead, i get all of the applications from the programs group, mixed in the main Wine menu with no folder separation.
For my video tutorials, check out:
http://www.youtube.com/webhunterification

User avatar
allypink
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 10:27 pm
Location: Nambour Australia

Re: WIne App won't launch from mainmenu

Post by allypink » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:52 am

Desktop; DELL Optiplex Core 2 Quad 8GB RAM
Run Mint 17.1, 1TB WD black 7200 and Win 7 320GB WD black 7200 (gotta for work)
A happy donor to the effort. If you use it...... DONATE!

bullpup
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:52 am

Re: WIne App won't launch from mainmenu

Post by bullpup » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:15 pm

Problem is NOT solved. Workaround in posted link does not work for me, at least.

Funny thing: If I change the command of the application link in the Wine Submenu of Mintmenu to some other program (like e.g. gnome-terminal), still the wine dialog box pops up and says: "file not found".
Something very strange is going on here...

jspice9000
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:08 pm

Re: WIne App won't launch from mainmenu

Post by jspice9000 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:53 pm

I have a work around that isn't elegant, but is easy for newer users (like myself) but still works well.

1) Create launcher
2) Change Icon

For new users who aren't too familiar with the command line:

Find your file location by the following >main menu>wine>Browse C: Drive (probably in the program files folder). Once you have found your file, open the terminal, type: wine and then drag your file into the terminal. The file location should magically appear. Don't press enter, just copy that nice long command.

Right click on the desktop and select "Create Launcher", name it whatever you like (how about the name of the application?), paste the command you copied into the command line box and press ok. Now right click on the launcher, select properties and you can simply click on the typical launcher icon and browse for a new picture. I did a screen shot of the application on my desktop that wouldn't launch.

MestreLion
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:14 am

Re: WIne App won't launch from mainmenu

Post by MestreLion » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:46 pm

Can't believe no one posted yet the easiest workaround: just put double quotes around the last parameter (the path to the .lnk), and remove any scape backslash from that.

So, using the example from OP, this:

Code: Select all

env WINEPREFIX="/home/sb/.wine" wine C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe /Unix /home/sb/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/sb/Start\ Menu/Programs/Microsoft\ Office/Microsoft\ Office\ Word\ 2007.lnk
would turn into this:

Code: Select all

env WINEPREFIX="/home/sb/.wine" wine C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe /Unix "/home/sb/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/sb/Start Menu/Programs/Microsoft Office/Microsoft Office Word 2007.lnk"
No need to create scripts or copy to desktop. Just edit its properties and youre done.

And dont forget to refresh the menu after the change: right-click menu icon in panel -> Reload Plugins

rjmb
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: WIne App won't launch from mainmenu

Post by rjmb » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:46 pm

Thanks for this post ...

Just to confirm that it works fine using Mint 11 + Wine 1.3

Post Reply

Return to “Software & Applications”