Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
danielninja
Level 1
Level 1

delete MBR!?

Post by danielninja »

Hi, i installed linux on my desktop and i deleted the partition that said "system information" or somethin', and now i can't boot windows..it doesn't even appear on the grub list.. Someone can help me?
Last edited by danielninja on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seeley
Level 7
Level 7

Re: delete MBR!?

Post by seeley »

Hi!
To help we need to know some details: distribution, Grub legacy or Grub2,...
If you boot the SuperGrubDisk, you probably are able to boot your Windows; information:
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/
You must download SGD and burn an image.
seeley
seeley @ Linux multiboot

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Another suggestion is to use the Windows recovery disk you made to fix the Master Boot Record...you did make a recovery disk, right? :shock:
Peppermint OS 10 Respin

danielninja
Level 1
Level 1

Post by danielninja »

I'm using LinuxMint 9 KDE
I didn't make a Windows recovery disk. :x
i'll try to use SuperGrubDisk now.

Imagus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Imagus »

I have found an easy way to fix a messed up bootloader, and you don't have to know a thing about grub or supergrub or whatever. First, make an extra partition on your harddisk. Just a small one, like 7 GB. Then, when your boot loader is messed up, just install Mint, Ubuntu or whatever on that extra partition. Both will detect your other partitions and restore the boot loader. Don't use the extra partition for anything else, just use it to quickly (re-)install an OS that can restore your boot loader.

I have often messed up my bootloader myself, and this little trick has always saved me.

Good luck.

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

In your current Linux installation, just open up a terminal (mintMenu > Terminal) and paste the following command into it:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
And reboot.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

danielninja
Level 1
Level 1

Post by danielninja »

vincent - that was one of the first things that i've tried. It dind't work.

Imagus - that takes a lot of time, installing an OS but that is a good ideia for those who don't know or don't want to fix it in another way.

My problem is, when you install windows, the installation automatically create a partition named "system information", accidentally i've deleted it and now i can't boot or recover in any way that i know of! :x i think my screwed.

Imagus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Imagus »

danielninja wrote:vincent - that was one of the first things that i've tried. It dind't work.

Imagus - that takes a lot of time, installing an OS but that is a good ideia for those who don't know or don't want to fix it in another way.

My problem is, when you install windows, the installation automatically create a partition named "system information", accidentally i've deleted it and now i can't boot or recover in any way that i know of! :x i think my screwed.
Maybe you can ask someone to install a trial version of Paragon's Partition Manager (http://www.partition-manager.com/) on a Windows machine and make a bootable cd-rom with it. You can then use this cd-rom to boot up your computer and use the "Undelete Partition" option, maybe that'll work (assuming the partition is not yet overwritten). This has saved me tons of data (and frustration) when I accidentally deleted a partition a while back. Maybe it'll work for you too.

Good luck.

danielninja
Level 1
Level 1

Post by danielninja »

well, after searching and trying to find the solution, i gave up and did a clean install for windows and linux.

Return to “Software & Applications”