Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
maikcrew
Level 1
Level 1

Executable bit OFF

Post by maikcrew » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:40 am

Hi, does anyone know how to turn off the annoying thing as "Executable bit", very plaese help me. Thanks. I do not know who invented this is a significant limitation :evil: .

kwevej
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Executable bit OFF

Post by kwevej » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:23 am

in terminal
chmod -x nameofthefile

or right click; properties; permissions

maikcrew
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maikcrew » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:16 pm

Do not work both. When use right click; properties; permissions, automatic returns to its original settings. I think global off this limitation, like Fedora or PClinux where is GOOD.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:34 pm

I don't tend to use windows programs, except in a VM or a real windows OS partition, so the executable bit being turned off doesn't offend me at all.

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:34 pm

maikcrew wrote:
Hi, does anyone know how to turn off the annoying thing as "Executable bit"
Maybe everyone else gets it but I don't. The "Executable bit" is off on every Linux distro I have ever used. To have it turned on so every file would be executable by default would be a monumental security issue.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:50 pm

Are you talking about this:
Screenshot-1.png
Screenshot-1.png (17.61 KiB) Viewed 746 times
Go into Nautilus > Edit > Preferences > Behavior and change the selection to this:
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (29.55 KiB) Viewed 746 times
It's only going to happen if you're actually trying to edit a script by opening the file in Nautilus or if you've done a sloppy job of mounting a windows filesystem as I have done and didn't use a proper dmask / fmask combination.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:24 pm

I sure am glad we have smart people like altair4 around to explain stuff to me when I get confused, which is rather often these days. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

maikcrew
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maikcrew » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:54 pm

Thank you for your interest.

I try change settings and show same message.
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (42.11 KiB) Viewed 732 times

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:00 pm

Instead of double clicking the *.exe file, right click it and click the open with entry and check wine and check the always open with box. From then on double clicking an *.exe file will open it with wine which is what you want it to do in order to run.

Fred

kwevej
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kwevej » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:16 pm

read what altair wrote:
altair4 wrote: It's only going to happen if you're actually trying to edit a script by opening the file in Nautilus or if you've done a sloppy job of mounting a windows filesystem as I have done and didn't use a proper dmask / fmask combination.
That's the case.

Secondly, I don't get why are u striving to run Thunderbird under wine, while there is a perfect Linux version.

maikcrew
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maikcrew » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:24 pm

Because in my work PC is Windows and at home I have Linux. And it's super when the data are stored in the same directory where the program is stored. I like portable apps :).

kwevej
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kwevej » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:04 am

maikcrew wrote:Because in my work PC is Windows and at home I have Linux. And it's super when the data are stored in the same directory where the program is stored. I like portable apps :).
Linux is not Windows http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

..and.. you can point Mint's Thunderbird, to the Windows partition data.
Just mount windows partition permanently using ntfs-config proggy; create symlinks and go.

Yesterday I've done so for my gf:
- mounted ntfs to /media/widle
then (for instance) removed Music and Pictires dirs and created symbolic links instead of that:

Code: Select all

ln -s /media/widle/Documents\ and\ Settings/user/Documents/Music ~/Music
ln -s /media/widle/Documents\ and\ Settings/user/Documents/Pictures ~/Pictures
and so on.
So that it is perfectly transparent ; she shares data across operating systems

In your case, you could point your Thunderbird directory which is somewhere under "Documets and Settings" to /home/yourUserName/.thunderbird

Return to “Software & Applications”