Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
biggusdoggus
Level 1
Level 1

anyone had any joy with Eurosport Player - needs Silverlight

Post by biggusdoggus » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:14 pm

Hi,

I'm fairly new to this Linux mallarky. I've just built myself a new machine following the death of my previous (windows running) hardware and I have decided I'd like to give Linux a proper go instead of going down the Winduz route. I've been using Mint 9 on my laptop with success (pretty much only browsing, so hardly pushing the boat out) and like the look/feel so I've gone and installed Julia on this new kit.

So far so good, works great straight out of the box, so I've started trying to configure it with everything I'd like it to run going forward. Most of what I need was in the distro, it's been that well thought through.

I seem to have hit a wall with the Eurosport live streaming site.

Eurosport used to use Flash, but have now switched to Silverlight as their weapon of choice. Of course SL doesn't have a Linux version and so when I hit the Eurosport site it pushes me to the Microsoft SL installation site which in turn sends me to Moonlight - the Novel version that claims to be fully compatible but is clearly still very much in the development stage.

Moonlight installs, and a trawl of silverlight sites that run games etc seems to prove that (in the main) it works pretty well. Sadly it just hangs when accessing Eurosport. I've tried the Moonlight 3.0 alpha install as well with similar results.

As I understand it, Eurosport are (probably) making use of the new DRM stuff that's in Silverlight, which hasn't been released to Novel for integration into Moonlight (and knowing Microsoft, never will). Thinking laterally, a friend suggested running Silverlight under Wine, but a google suggests that that is another head/wall/bang dead end.

Anyone tried and got Eurosport streaming to work? Have I missed something obvious, or am I ultimately forced to crawl back to the Microsoft infested world from whence I came?

biggusdoggus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: anyone had any joy with Eurosport Player - needs Silverl

Post by biggusdoggus » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:27 pm

ah, having read more I have a sneaky feeling my issue is pretty much the same one that people are having with Netflix, in which case I suspect the above post is largely rhetorical :cry:

haiku
Level 1
Level 1

Post by haiku » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:59 pm

I'm sorry I won't able but provide much help, but:

I was able to access the Eurosport Player a few months ago (in June I recall, it was for the LeMans 24h) - so it may be do-able.
But I don't remember the specifics - I do think I used Moonlight, tho.
I think Eurosport were just launching their new player, and I kinda recall I was able to watch the stream w/ the old player that was still there, but not with the new one...

Just a tought: did you try with different browsers?

biggusdoggus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by biggusdoggus » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:10 am

thanks for the response. I believe that back in June Eurosport were still using Flash as their primary delivery method, so I'm not surprised you got that working. I don't know whether they ported to Silverlight 2, which I'm guessing would have worked as Moonlight supports it, but it appears they are definitely now using Silverlight 4 which won't be supported until Moonlight 4 (currently in the planning stage according to the ML developer site) and even then ML might not have the relevant DRMs.

I've tried Chromium and Firefox, both produce similar catastrophic results, so I guess I'm probably either into playing the waiting game for Novel to get their act together with the Moonlight project, or I'll have to dual boot Windows just to run one application.

Paper Bag
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Paper Bag » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:05 pm

This thread came up in Google search, so I'll bump this now that I did try Eurosport Player with Moonlight (64-bit, version dated Apr 12, 2011 i.e. at the moment the latest). Using FF 4.0.1 64-bit. The Player works, I can see videos and most features seem to be working, but the streams are unwatchable. Takes huge amounts of CPU usage and the playback is not smooth. Simply unwatchable.

Not hugely disappointed, since I was planning to use Windows for this anyway.

Return to “Software & Applications”