Can't Remove Firefox?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Elisa

Re: Can't Remove Firefox?

Post by Elisa »

vanilline wrote:...That doesn't help, I'm afraid. Firefox seems to be immortal in LM 8 :x
So, do I need to remove LM to get rid of Firefox? :shock:
:lol:

Funny :D

What about try the classic stuff:

sudo apt-get remove firefox
naviathan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by naviathan »

sudo apt-get remove firefox removes ff but then installs one of the other browser packages in it's place which starts this whole round robin over again.
robert-e
Level 3
Level 3

Post by robert-e »

There seems to be some degree of impoliteness, if not downright nastiness in this thread: Never-the-less; it occurs to me that there is a cli command in Fedora; I believe rpm -e no dependencies or somesuch. Would it be possible there is a like command option with dpkg? Then one could remove Firefox, and still keep the deps. I for one would like to uninstall Mint Firefox and load the Mozilla version. Before someone (either politely or not asks why?), it is because I want to. Good enough .. eh?

Regards,
Bob
robert-e
Level 3
Level 3

Post by robert-e »

I have looked at the options available to "dpkg", and it seems there is indeed a command option to remove a package without the dependencies. I have not tried this, and don't have time to fiddle with it right now; however I do believe that I shall uninstall the Mint version of Firefox on general principles.. ie. I don't like forced choices in the software on my computer. What I mean by this is: I imagine that like Firefox, Iceweasel and such as supplied by Mint are all "infected??" with the same "google-association" problems. I don't mind if these things are included by default as in Mint Firefox, but I do want to be able to remove them by choice.
Fedora has been known to use dependencies to force users down a particular path, making life difficult for those who don't subscribe to their way of doing things..pulseaudio was a prime example. Poor stuff.
Whatever...
Have fun and be careful.

Regards,
Bob
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

If I am not mistaken you can get another browser install it then get rid or Firefox since its being so bothersom to you. I use Chromium. You can get Opera or Seamonkey to replace FireFox.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
naviathan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by naviathan »

willie42 wrote:If I am not mistaken you can get another browser install it then get rid or Firefox since its being so bothersom to you. I use Chromium. You can get Opera or Seamonkey to replace FireFox.
You should read all the posts before replying. This whole thing is about removing firefox after installing Chromium or Chrome or anything else. You can't without the software manager installing something else in it's place.
areek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by areek »

viking777 wrote:Firstly I must say that removing Firefox is a big waste of time imho. If something matters to you on Linux (or probably windows as well) then you need two of it - browsers, email clients, media players, backups, even distros - I could go on and on with that list it really depends on what is important to you. Having said that if you want to remove anything and cant do it with apt then try aptitude.

Before you do this you must do two things.
First run

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude update
then run

sudo aptitude keep-all
Otherwise aptitude thinks that everything it hasn't installed is surplus to requirements and might attempt to remove the whole lot!

Having done that you can then run

aptitude purge firefox
and you will get the following results, or something similar:

sudo aptitude purge firefox
The following packages will be REMOVED:  
  firefox{p} 
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 29.3 MB will be freed.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  sun-java6-plugin: Depends: firefox but it is not going to be installed. or
                             firefox-2 which is a virtual package. or
                             iceweasel but it is not going to be installed. or
                             mozilla-firefox which is a virtual package. or
                             iceape-browser but it is not going to be installed. or
                             mozilla-browser which is a virtual package. or
                             epiphany-gecko but it is not going to be installed. or
                             epiphany-webkit but it is not going to be installed. or
                             epiphany-browser but it is not going to be installed. or
                             galeon but it is not going to be installed. or
                             midbrowser which is a virtual package. or
                             moblin-web-browser which is a virtual package. or
                             xulrunner but it is not going to be installed. or
                             xulrunner-1.9 which is a virtual package. or
                             konqueror but it is not going to be installed. or
                             chromium-browser but it is not going to be installed. or
                             midori but it is not going to be installed.
  mint-search-addon: Depends: firefox but it is not going to be installed. or
                              firefox-3.0 which is a virtual package. or
                              abrowser which is a virtual package. or
                              flock which is a virtual package. or
                              songbird which is a virtual package. or
                              iceweasel but it is not going to be installed.
The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Remove the following packages:
1)     mint-search-addon           
2)     sun-java6-plugin            

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] 
This does two things. Firstly it explains why you are going round and round in circles with other browsers and the like, and secondly explains what you can do about it.
Works perfectly for me :-)

Could I politelely sugest to remove (flame) posts that are not relevant this topic?
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

you must have some internet Browser. So install seamonkey or Opera or Chrome and then you should be able to uninstall FF
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
Ron0909
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ron0909 »

Viking777, thank you for this set of instructions. It's to the point and does the job.
I'm sure that the developers integrated Firefox within Mint with perfectly good intentions however,
having it gone makes me feel better. Yes, it's negligible to have it installed and I'm sure indexing the files
used, requires very few resources. Next in line to go for me will be Thunderbird.
If Viking777's post could be made 'Sticky', it might save folks a bit of time

All the best everyone :)
Ron
viking777 wrote:Firstly I must say that removing Firefox is a big waste of time imho. If something matters to you on Linux (or probably windows as well) then you need two of it - browsers, email clients, media players, backups, even distros - I could go on and on with that list it really depends on what is important to you. Having said that if you want to remove anything and cant do it with apt then try aptitude.

Before you do this you must do two things.
First run

sudo aptitude update
then run

sudo aptitude keep-all
Otherwise aptitude thinks that everything it hasn't installed is surplus to requirements and might attempt to remove the whole lot!

Having done that you can then run

aptitude purge firefox
and you will get the following results, or something similar:

sudo aptitude purge firefox
The following packages will be REMOVED:  
  firefox{p} 
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 29.3 MB will be freed.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  sun-java6-plugin: Depends: firefox but it is not going to be installed. or
                             iceweasel but it is not going to be installed. or
                             mozilla-firefox which is a virtual package. or
                             iceape-browser but it is not going to be installed. or
                             mozilla-browser which is a virtual package. or
                             epiphany-gecko but it is not going to be installed. or
                             epiphany-webkit but it is not going to be installed. or
                             epiphany-browser but it is not going to be installed. or
                             galeon but it is not going to be installed. or
                             midbrowser which is a virtual package. or
                             moblin-web-browser which is a virtual package. or
                             xulrunner but it is not going to be installed. or
                             xulrunner-1.9 which is a virtual package. or
                             konqueror but it is not going to be installed. or
                             chromium-browser but it is not going to be installed. or
                             midori but it is not going to be installed.
  mint-search-addon: Depends: firefox but it is not going to be installed. or
                              firefox-3.0 which is a virtual package. or
                              abrowser which is a virtual package. or
                              flock which is a virtual package. or
                              songbird which is a virtual package. or
                              iceweasel but it is not going to be installed.
The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Remove the following packages:
1)     mint-search-addon           
2)     sun-java6-plugin            

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] 
This does two things. Firstly it explains why you are going round and round in circles with other browsers and the like, and secondly explains what you can do about it.
logicslayer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by logicslayer »

I ran into this issue and it was almost a deal breaker for me. I found if you remove mint-search-addon and mint-stylish-addon and then try to remove Firefox, it will remove it without replacing the browser with yet another browser. This was Linux Mint 10 so I don't know if it applies to you guys. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Edit: And after a reboot Firefox is back. This is just stupid. I take back my previous statement. :oops:
beast2k
Level 1
Level 1

Post by beast2k »

Once in a while when Firefox really starts to mess up, it fixes allot of problems if I simply uninstall Firefox completely and start over. Here's an idea, how about making browser a choice at install time? Anyway thanks for the info.
vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

I recently had a problem with Firefox after adding a new theme from the FF Add-ons page. Then, instructed to 'restart' ... it Died!!
No matter what I did Firefox would not re-open. Not by the icon or with the CLI.

I am using the new version of LMDE 201012.

Finally, I opened the Synaptic Package Manager and clicked on Firefox ... for Total Removal/Deletion.
The Synaptic told me that several files for Firefox were being deleted and that the Iceweasel-browser was being installed instead.
OK by me ... I like Iceweasel better anyway. I use Iceweasel with my main Debian 6.0 OS.

For me, my problem was solved . . . kinda/sorta :P
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page
beast2k
Level 1
Level 1

Post by beast2k »

I guess in a way it proves that Firefox is really solid until you start adding extensions and themes and such. It seems that there must be a fundamental difference between Firefox and Chromium/Chrome in the way they are coded, by that I mean in Chrome the "extension" developers can't really mess with the basics like a developer can in Firefox which may leave Firefox potentially less stable. Maybe,.. it's a working theory anyway.
kennyhendrick
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kennyhendrick »

Firstly, I too had a tough go at removing firefox (and found it intrusive that I had to have all the other choices when all I wanted was chromium which is so much faster at the draw IMO) and I have to agree with the guy that called the other guy a douche LOL....p.s. NOT all of us learned on windows....but i think we all can agree that we'll not be going back even if they were to lower their price to $25.00 (as opposed to $200+).

But thanks for the answer all the same (yes, it appears to have worked....firefox, abrowser, songbird, some media thing, etc.....all gone).

THANK GOD FOR LINUX AND THE PEOPLE THAT FINANCE IT! Can you imagine if we had to figure all this out on our own? Sigh...I guess it's a good thing to have a douche around too.

Return to “Software & Applications”